• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle Greyhawk - Hackmaster or d20

Sayburr

First Post
grodog said:

Oh, I'm sure many non-HM players/fans will buy the adventure if it's marketed well. And it may well open some folks' eyes to glory that is HM. Others will just buy it for the authors and contents.

Does that really matter, in the long-run, though? A sale is a sale is a sale, right?

Yes, I suppose you are correct, a sale is a sale, but a product that supports and expands a product line would be more interesting for a company than just a module that sells well, and would allow more money to be in the coffers for the authors when they start writing parts 4-10...

Hackmaster does have its silly things, like the titan gnome's crotch stomp attack... And, until I read them, I thought the quarks and flaws were a stupid idea, but they really lead to some interesting role-playing. Sorry, I am not trying to sell Hackmaster so I will shut up about the system.

It does make me wonder though, if Gary and Rob would be able to sell more product releasing the game for d20. I don't think either person really cares a great deal for the system, but it looks like the buying public is split on the merits of Hackmaster while everyone seems to think d20 is a god send.

One thing about Hackmaster that no one seems to think about is that it is a licensed WOTC product and Kenzer Co does have the rights to use old modules as part of the Hackmaster line (b1, b2, slavers, giants, ravenloft) which seems to indicate to me that Gary and Rob could include, within the castle, the parts that were released for AD&D that Gary and Rob no longer have the rights too (such as the Alice in Wonderland bits). If I am not mistaking, with Hackmaster the Castle Greyhawk product could be more like the original concept that has been in Gary and Rob’s heads for so many years begging to get out...

grodog

Hero
Sayburr said:
Yes, I suppose you are correct, a sale is a sale, but a product that supports and expands a product line would be more interesting for a company than just a module that sells well, and would allow more money to be in the coffers for the authors when they start writing parts 4-10...

That makes perfect sense, of course, and is the perfect counter-argument to my point. Except, that the Castle will still sell well to existing HM fans, and will still draw in new players to HM. Some will get over the game's over-the-top humor (perhaps I'm one of them?), others won't, but Kenzer should still see a net increase in HM players (as well as the proceeds from the existing HM plaer base).

It does make me wonder though, if Gary and Rob would be able to sell more product releasing the game for d20. I don't think either person really cares a great deal for the system, but it looks like the buying public is split on the merits of Hackmaster while everyone seems to think d20 is a god send.

Now I that's going a tad far ;->

One thing about Hackmaster that no one seems to think about is that it is a licensed WOTC product and Kenzer Co does have the rights to use old modules as part of the Hackmaster line (b1, b2, slavers, giants, ravenloft) which seems to indicate to me that Gary and Rob could include, within the castle, the parts that were released for AD&D that Gary and Rob no longer have the rights too (such as the Alice in Wonderland bits). If I am not mistaking, with Hackmaster the Castle Greyhawk product could be more like the original concept that has been in Gary and Rob’s heads for so many years begging to get out...

Another excellent point, and one that would be a stronger selling-point for any OD&D, 1e, and Gygax/Kuntz fans (if marketed properly) than a d20 version of the Castle.

I still think that a HM version may be the best opportunity for the Greyhawk Castle to see print in as close a form to the original as possible, which will probably please the largest possible number of fans.

Moxie

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

I'd rather spend that on books with 2-4 times the content of other $30 books than for hardcovers and 1/2 to 1/4 the content. Take a look at not just page count for the HackMaster books - which is pretty heft - but look at how much of the page they actually use. Those books are packed with years of reading.

I wasn't commenting on the content of the material, just what from it is in. If I am going to spend $30 on a book, I want a hardback, especially if it's a gamebook that will see a lot of reference during a game. My guess from everything I have read is that the game system lends itself GREATLY to reference during a game. I just can't see a paperback holding up really well, at least not to MY handling.

Then again, YMMV. :D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Yeah - I was lucky enough to be in the middle of a price war in Ballarat (still am, actually), so I picked it up cheaply.

Very glad too, it's a great book. Just overcosted. :(

Most of the other WotC books have been reasonable.

Cheers!

Theuderic

First Post
Go to Pied Piper's forums. Find the Dungeon section. Go to the We Were Wargamers thread. There you will read Gygax's posts on how he feels about D20 D&D and why it will never be done for 3E. I blelieve it's on pages 3 or 4.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads