• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castles & Cusades: Is Crusader Magazine worth getting?

Gallo22

First Post
I've been really interested in possibly using C&C as my main game and wanted to know if the Crusader magazine adds much to the game in a whole? Thanks.

Treebore

First Post
I've been really interested in possibly using C&C as my main game and wanted to know if the Crusader magazine adds much to the game in a whole? Thanks.

I think it is finally getting there. Issue 12 was definitely the best yet. Its still very much like the first issues of Dragon Magazine, but it is also definitely improving. I think having James Ward on board is definitely helping with the improvement.

Will you miss not having it if you go to C&C? No, but they do things like Dragon did. They have things you may or may not like to use. Only you will know which it will be.

So its far from being anything critical to have for your games, but it can be an enjoyable addition.

there are PDF's of earlier issues available. Still, they don't reflect the improvements I have seen from issue 9 onward.

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
I definitely think it's worth it (in fact, I just renewed my subscription this week), especially if you liked early Dragon magazines. TBs got it right, the last few since James Ward came onboard have been fantastic.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I agree with Treebore that it is getting better. They have some of the old schoolers helping out with it such as Tom Wham and now Jim Ward. If they get Tim Kask too it should be really interesting. If you like to collect Troll Lords products I would suggest it.

S'mon

Legend
The copies I bought weren't worth getting; it suffers from a lack of outside contributors and compared poorly to online freezines. Maybe it's better now.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
The earlier issue were somewhat lacking, but new latest ones really have raised the bar.
I'd have to agree that the first few issues were lacking, but I have found that to be true with most gaming mags over the years. The new staff aditions have certainly upped the quality and I expect it to continually improve.

Treebore

First Post
I'd have to agree that the first few issues were lacking, but I have found that to be true with most gaming mags over the years. The new staff aditions have certainly upped the quality and I expect it to continually improve.

Yep, I had the opportunity to read through the first 12 issues of Dragon recently. I would say Crusader is improving faster than Dragon did. Considerably faster. I didn't like the Dragon content until about issue 16. I have liked Crusader since issue 5, mostly because it had content I am still using in my games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads