• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D) A Game of Trust

Festy_Dog

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
"If you feel a debt, then I'd rather trust you to pay it to another stricken traveler, on some future night."

"An excellant suggestion," Nurthk says.

Nurthk nods to the hunter when he enters. He takes a cup of tea, and sits down where there is some space.

Guilt Puppy said:
"Tell me, now... Where do you travel from?"

"I've been travelling with the group since they left Bethel. I was doing contract work for the city guard at the time," he replies.

DrZombie

First Post
Old shoes (tom waits)

After the refreshing bath (and beer) Raven sits on a bench in front of the fire in the bathouse, checking his drying clothes and repairing them where necessary. A small pot of molten wax gently bubbles on the fire, and it is frequently applied to the seams of his waterproof clothing. He has changed to a kilt and an embroidened vest. Those who have been to the far north might recognize the style, its pattern of intertwined symbols and animals typical for the mountain men of that region. As he is working he gently sings a melody in his raspy voice (skill check 16):

I'm singing this song, it's time it was sung
I've been putting it off for a while,
But it's harder by now, 'cause the truth is so clear
That I cry when I'm seeing you smile.

So goodbye, so long, the road calls me dear
And your tears cannot bind me anymore,
And farewell to the girl with the sun in her eyes
Can I kiss you, and then I'll be gone.

Every time that I tried to tell that we'd
lost the magic we had at the start,
I would weep my heart when I looked in your eyes
And I searched once again for the spark.

I can see by your eyes, it's time now to go
So I'll leave you to cry in the rain,
Though I held in my hand, the key to all joy
Honey my heart was not born to be tamed.

Can I kiss you, and then I'll be gone, can I kiss you, and then I'll be gone.

(Tom Waits, you gotta love 'im)

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
[Sorry, but having never heard Tom Waits, every song lyric sounds to me like it should be sung to the melody of Crank Yankers: "Come one, come all, cause we're having some fun, we're just making some calls to strain-----gers..."]

Guilt Puppy

First Post
(No Heironeans except maybe Shavah -- if anyone asked for her to come along, say so now and consider her here, but my default assumption is that she'd stay with the others.)

Fendric: Yattro nods at your story. "Hopefully the pass treats you well..." He glances at the door briefly, a bit concerned, but his amiable grin returns soon enough.

Niccolo: He takes your scarves, deliberately not looking too closely at the stitchwork. "I'm sure these will come in handy for others like yourselves -- the Free Cities have become a popular place lately."

Xiao: Hiritus follows as you head off to the bath... He's seeming a bit uncomfortable with the situation, and once outside he gives an explanation:

"It's silly, I know, but I just had an odd feeling in there, like a little kid sitting at the grown-up table for the first time at holiday..."

Nurthk: Yattro raises his brow with interest. "From Bethel, you say? What route did you take?" A normal enough question for small-talk, but the glow in his eyes shows that this a topic of great enthusiasm for him.

Raven: Hiritus follows Xiao into the bathhouse, nodding hello. He is rather meticulous about getting his things in order for the bath -- taking special care of Fendric's old armor, even stopping for a moment to admire -- but seeming at least relaxed about it.

(Oh, I'll be needing some Listen checks from everyone shortly.
...and it seems that Waits is quite popular in this world :) )

dpdx

Explorer
[If Fergus decided not to come with us, I'll take Shavah until another character can be found.]

[Listen check: 9 +7 = 16.]

Fendric finishes the rest of his leftover chicken, also enjoying a haunch of rabbit that Raven brought in. After the meal, he pulls Yattro aside, while the others tend to their business.

"If you don't mind me unburdening a little, Father, er, Yattro, I've felt a little out of sorts, lately. I fear that sometimes I lack the intelligence to know what our next step should be. And while I don't believe that the Radiant Light has forsaken me, I find myself prone to outbursts of impatience at inopportune times, a quite unpriestly quality.

I praise Pelor every day for the unflagging companionship and loyalty of Niccolo, from the very beginning, and for Nurthk, Hiritus, Shavah, and Xiao as the Light has seen fit in Time to bless me with them. Sometimes I doubt I'm worthy of a voice in our decisions, even if mine is the only one spoken.

So with this journey over the pass, we continue what we set out to do from the beginning. I only hope that we haven't dallied too long, which if it were so, would probably be my fault as well, may Pelor forgive me.

Anyway, perhaps a bath would do me well. You have my gratitude for hearing me out, and again for taking us in for the night, and again for saving our friend. May Pelor protect and keep you, even as the God of Journeys does so.
"

Fendric gathers his things, and heads to the bathhouse.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In the bath house

Orbril lay back floating in warm water of the tub, happy that he had called in here to rest before moving out to wherever his wanderers feet would take him.
A pair of bubbles danced in the air above the gnomes head a minor diversion for his mind as he guided their movements like a choreographer.

'Sarai would dance like that' he thought of the girl, half-elf, who had danced upon the backs of horses and much stranger mounts beside. 'She had been a favourite of Miss Halkum'

Righting himself in the water the gnome called over bubbles into the production he was creating in the air above his bath water dancing lights were placed amongst the bubbles which swirled and and flowed and cascading in an endless spectacular to amaze and astound your eyes and ears!. as once more the Grand Circus performed before his very eyes.

As the others entered the bath house the gnome turned and grinned his production momentarily suspended behind him

"um hello" he grinned "come on in the waters fine..."

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Guilt Puppy said:

Xiao: Hiritus follows as you head off to the bath... He's seeming a bit uncomfortable with the situation, and once outside he gives an explanation:

"It's silly, I know, but I just had an odd feeling in there, like a little kid sitting at the grown-up table for the first time at holiday..."

Raven: Hiritus follows Xiao into the bathhouse, nodding hello. He is rather meticulous about getting his things in order for the bath -- taking special care of Fendric's old armor, even stopping for a moment to admire -- but seeming at least relaxed about it.

Xiao nods to Raven and the one doing odd things with his bubbles, then promptly strips down to nothing, tossing his gear onto a bench by the wall. He pauses for a moment, looking slightly nonplussed, before getting into the bath. As he soaks, he turns Hiritus words over in his mind. Those, along with the other little oddities trouble his toughts. He could still his thoughts if he wanted, but chooses not to for some reason. It somewhat lessens his enjoyment of the moment.

Upon the arrival of the next person, he is the first step out and offer his tub. After helping whoever empty and refill it, he drys off and dresses. Later, out on the road, he knows that he is going to regret leaving the bath so quickly. Oh well.

Hiritus is a little startled by Xiao's hasty exit, but Xiao only shrugs when Hiritus asks what the matter is.

"I thought I might have a little look around, er ... see what is here."

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Raven sits on his bench, cleaning and waxing his composite longbow. Like most things he owns, it seems to be of very high quality, but it is worn with use. There is something vaguely elvish about it's make, and it seems to be much heavier than a usual bow.

"You guys heading up through the mountains?" he asks, looking up from his work. "You'd better look for a guide. Dangerous crossing if you haven't been there before"
"As it happens"he grins "I'm heading up there tomorrow morning, first light, with me partner, Jake"
"If you wanna tag along, make sure you're ready."

Then he starts cleaning, sharpening and oiling his blades, with the practised ease of a job much-repeated.

(for the cleaning and repairing : survival 21)
(listen 16)

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Xiao thinks that Raven looks like just the type of man you would need to guide one through the the mountain passes, but it is not his decision. He bows to Raven.

"I think we are heading that way. I will pass on your offer.

"But if we do travel together, I would be most honoured if you could teach me how you caught those rabbits."

Then Xiao heads out the door. He doesn't really have any clear idea of what he is looking for, if anything at all. He will wonder around a bit getting the layout of the palce, then perhaps find a place from where he can see a little of the surrounds. He decides that within earshot of a shout from inside will be as far as he goes.

ooc: Listen Check: 7+5 12.

Remove ads