• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D) A Game of Trust

DrZombie

First Post
doghead said:
"But if we do travel together, I would be most honoured if you could teach me how you caught those rabbits."
"That's fairly easy. You just hide behind a tree, then imitate a carrot. When a rabbit appears, quickly grab it by the ears, then break it's neck"

He grins his lop-sided grin, then looks serious:

"A bit of help with foraging would be appreciated, especially for such a big group. If you're handy with a sling or a bow, you're more then wellcome to come along, because my mate jake is no good with either."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
"Doesn't stick around long does he?" the gnome lets the bubbles return to their natural state and grins at the minor illusionary show he has presented for himself

"but seems I've finally got more company so I'd better go and show myself" with that he hauls himself out of the water dries himself off and dresses in a set of faded pants and tunic. Then returns to the main hospice

"Greetings one and all" he grins " Master Yattro - I apologise I did not realise we had more guest!

Hello hello, I am Orbril, Master of the Grand Circus Maximus and keeper of small objects" he introduces himself with a selfdeprecating grin as he goes about shaking hands

Another gnome!" his grin broadens as he moves to embrace his racial kinsmen "this is truely a blessed occasion!. So tell me where are you all bound?"

Festy_Dog

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
"From Bethel, you say? What route did you take?"

"We first passed through Haddal, then made our way to the river, and then a halfling village there, where I contracted my affliction. After that we travelled by boat to as close to here as we could get and made the rest of the way on foot," Nurthk says, hoping he got it right.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Fendric: Yattro listens calmly and interestedly, knowing as a true conversationalist does when it is time to speak with his eyes. His only words, when at last spoken, are simple and sincere:

"I wish you success in your journey."

Orbril: (Welcome aboard, Tonguez!) Yattro smiles as you enter. "I apologize for not introducing you sooner! I had assumed you'd already gone to bed -- but I suppose Raven's hours spread quickly." It is, indeed, fast approaching dawn at this point.

"Tea should still be hot at this point... Come, sit down, share your story!"

Nurthk: Yattro raises his eyebrows, surprised and puzzled by your description. "Through Haddal to halflings on a river... Do you mean the Damiel?" He smiles in amazement. "Quite the circuitous route! Though an appreciable one..."

Xiao: The grounds are fairly small, confined to a few buildings -- Yattro's room and what is apparently a temple, the stablery and bathhouse, a cozy little guest area, and off a bit in the distance, Sethan's shack -- where the younger priest rests comfortably at the moment, you presume.

The rain has gotten a bit lighter, so staying outside isn't entirely uncomfortable, and certainly not too much so for a self-disciplined sort. Through the mist you can see that the area is lightly wooded within thirty yards of the clearing at the crossroads. Looking down the roads themselves, you can't see much further, as rain gives way to mist in the moonlight.

After about fifteen minutes alone outside, you begin to notice some movement in among the trees -- figures, human ones. They look to be less than a dozen; one steps out, dressed in hides and rags, and raises a hand for the others to stop, then addresses you in a low voice, difficult to pick out from this distance. (Too low for the folks inside to hear over the rain, I'll note.)

"Are you with the travelers?"

(Xiao gets a Spot check to pick out how many others there are, and where they are positioned... The rest are unaware at this point, although Xiao is within easy shouting distance. Here's how I have the others placed at the moment:

Orbril, Raven, Nurthk, Niccolo, Shavah: Yattro's room.
Fendric, Hiritus: In the bath.

A general layout, to be followed with more detailed maps later:
)

Code:
 |S  * *****
 |  G      **
 |    x   h*
 |Y B      **
-+-----------
 |

S = Sethan's, Y = Yattro's/Shrine, 
G = Guestrooms/Kitchen, B = Stables/bath
x = Xiao's general position, h = humans' general position.

Note that this is by no means to scale, 
just a general sketch of the layout for the time being.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Guilt Puppy said:
Xiao: ...

After about fifteen minutes alone outside, you begin to notice some movement in among the trees -- figures, human ones. They look to be less than a dozen; one steps out, dressed in hides and rags, and raises a hand for the others to stop, then addresses you in a low voice, difficult to pick out from this distance. (Too low for the folks inside to hear over the rain, I'll note.)

"Are you with the travelers?"

Xiao pauses. travellers? There has obviously been special significance attached to the word. But what? He sounds like he expects me to know. Should I know? If Fendric or Hiritus were here ...

Xiao bows a little, playing for time. The truth obviously. But how much of it?

"I am Xiao. I am from far in the east." Ah! Will that make me one of the travellers? Less truth is better. It always sounds more simple in tales. "Pleased to meet you."

ooc: spot 2+5=7. He wouldn't notice if he had forgotton to put on his pants.
ooc: Whats their mood/state like? sence motive check 13+6=19.
ooc: GP, would it be possible to put a few returns in the code to narrow it? I've only got a 800x600 monitor, so lots of scrolling at the mo. Thanks.

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
The man takes a few steps closer. "You are with the travelers who came tonight?"

His general disposition is hostile, but there's something about it that doesn't seem directed toward you or "the travelers" specifically -- if anything, there's something defensive about. His voice does not waver, and if anything is too unwavering; his stance is equally solid, and he gives you the general impression of a cornered animal, not desiring to be agressive, but desiring to appear so, and ready to become so at a moment's notice...

doghead

thotd
Guilt Puppy said:
The man takes a few steps closer. "You are with the travelers who came tonight?"

Yes, it is much easier in the tales. There are hints, indicators, precursers and forshadowings in a proper story.

Xiao conciously relaxes mind and body, the stillness which suggest nothing but from which anything can done. He doesn't want to spook them, but he doesn't want to be caught unawares either. Much easier ...

"I am Xiao, and I have come a long way from my home, so I am a traveller. I arrived here tonight with some others, but so did some others I believe. Ah. I think that that is confusing. And you are talking too much. More less truth.

"Do you wish to speak to these travellers?" Oh. That might not have been the wisest thing to say. Well, it make help shake things out a bit...

ooc: Thanks.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"Yes."

His mood and tone seem unaffected by your chosen words, which, given the apparent alternative, probably means they were well-chosen.

(OOC - "More less truth," brilliant... Xiao's internal monologue rocks :) )

doghead

thotd

nothing? Xiao bows again, playing for time while he tries to get something more useful to come to mind.

"There are a few. I don't want to waste your time with the wrong ones. Could you describe them to me?"

Yes. Questions are good. Wu-Teacher only ever asked questions. He was very inscrutable.

Remove ads