Catalog of discussions on the "younger classics" adventures.

drscott46

First Post
Mark Hope said:
Cool, will do :). What would you say were the best-known, most widely played Birthright modules? I know next to nothing about the setting myself...

Well,

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/br/br.htm

There were only five, officially, plus at least one or two that appeared in Dungeon magazine. I don't think I've heard a single thing about any of 'em.

Perhaps Wolfgang "Monkey King" Baur, who wrote The Sword of Roele and The Warlock of the Stonecrowns, could chime in.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
drscott46 said:
Well,

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/br/br.htm

There were only five, officially, plus at least one or two that appeared in Dungeon magazine. I don't think I've heard a single thing about any of 'em.

Perhaps Wolfgang "Monkey King" Baur, who wrote The Sword of Roele and The Warlock of the Stonecrowns, could chime in.
Yeah, cool site - I've been using that a fair bit of late :). I was hoping that some Birthright aficionado would be able to step up and save us from my random whimmery, though :D...

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
I'd love to see a discussion on Nightmare Keep, had a lot of fun with that one.

The Shattered Circle was another favorite, probably the most successful module I've ever run. I also have fond memories of SJA1 Wildspace (I think), that was fun.

Faraer

Explorer
drscott46 said:
I'd love to see some more of these threads. Perhaps the Avatar Trilogy (is it possible that anyone enjoyed 'em?),
I ran these successfully. They're certainly not classic modules, due to their ill-conceived premise (imposed on Ed Greenwood) of following the novel characters around, but they're workable and a wonderful, and underappreciated, source of Realmslore.
FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, even in its truncated published form, is a first-rate adventure that definitely merits a thread. It's the best low-level Realms adventure published, and a great microcosm of play there. FRQ2 Hordes of Dragonspear is lucklustre. FRQ3 Doom of Daggerdale I'm not particularly fond of, but never played or DMed.

FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds is also a lot of fun.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Nathan P. Mahney said:
I'd love to see a discussion on Nightmare Keep, had a lot of fun with that one.
Doing this one for sure. Great stuff.

Nathan P. Mahney said:
The Shattered Circle was another favorite, probably the most successful module I've ever run. I also have fond memories of SJA1 Wildspace (I think), that was fun.
Don't know much about Shattered Circle - might be worth looking at. Wildspace is another definite, though.

Faraer said:
FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, even in its truncated published form, is a first-rate adventure that definitely merits a thread. It's the best low-level Realms adventure published, and a great microcosm of play there. FRQ2 Hordes of Dragonspear is lucklustre. FRQ3 Doom of Daggerdale I'm not particularly fond of, but never played or DMed.
Haunted Halls is very good indeed. Haven't played Daggerdale, but I'd agree that Dragonspear is pants.

Faraer said:
There was a thread on this a couple of weeks back :)...

Hussar

Legend
Speaking of copping to things, I actually rather enjoyed Gargoyles. It was fun. Stupid to say the least and the ending was bloody terrible, but, other than that, it was fun. So long as you kept in mind it was stupid... y'know... writing this... breaking through the rose colored glasses...

Never mind. :uhoh:

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I just posted a thread on the Dark Sun adventure "Dragon's Crown" as the next setting-linked adventure. A tough decision. I wanted to do DS next, and "Freedom" might have been a better choice, given that it was the first stand-alone DS adventure and more folks are likely to have played it. But "Dragon's Crown" gets lauded so often as one of the best DS adventures out there, that I went for that one instead. Next week, I'll bust out some Spelljammer. I'm thinking "Wildspace", but am open to suggestions as usual...

Faraer said:
I ran these successfully. They're certainly not classic modules, due to their ill-conceived premise (imposed on Ed Greenwood) of following the novel characters around, but they're workable and a wonderful, and underappreciated, source of Realmslore.FRQ1 Haunted Halls of Eveningstar, even in its truncated published form, is a first-rate adventure that definitely merits a thread. It's the best low-level Realms adventure published, and a great microcosm of play there. FRQ2 Hordes of Dragonspear is lucklustre. FRQ3 Doom of Daggerdale I'm not particularly fond of, but never played or DMed.

I thought Doom of Daggerdale was great. Looking back I would have beefed up or re-did some parts, but it worked out to be a lot of fun. Started my Wolfgang Baur geekness.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Hussar said:
Speaking of copping to things, I actually rather enjoyed Gargoyles. It was fun. Stupid to say the least and the ending was bloody terrible, but, other than that, it was fun. So long as you kept in mind it was stupid... y'know... writing this... breaking through the rose colored glasses...

Never mind. :uhoh:
Patience, patience. Your time will come. Every dog has his day. And every gargoyle does too.. :lol:

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Mark Hope said:
Don't know much about Shattered Circle - might be worth looking at.

It's one of the late 2e modules by Bruce Cordell, designed for low levels. I don't know if you'd get much discussion for it - I've never even seen it mentioned by anyone around here except for me! But it really is a fabulous piece of work, and criminally unknown.

Remove ads