Catalog of discussions on the "younger classics" adventures.

drscott46

First Post
I think it's a good idea to wait until the posts on each adventure's thread die down. Seems like we might get more interesting responses that way.

Quasqueton seems to have put a whole bunch of them out there at once, and some never got noticed.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
drscott46 said:
Mark, you're a good man (for starting a series of these). I'm a big fan of this thread concept as a conversation-starter.
Thanks, but the credit has to go to Quas for his original series of threads. Had lots of fun reminiscing with those :).

arwink

Clockwork Golem
diaglo said:
easiest way to note the difference in approach is to look at the late 1998 thru early 2000 releases of the "Return to" series for the 25th Anniversary.

Keep on the Borderlands
Against the Giants
Slavers
Tomb of Horrors
White Plume Mountain

I find the return to modules fascinating, largely because of the difference in approach to the original material. For instance, I'll always take the 1e Keep over the Return to, for instance, because the added story elements don't really expand on the adventure in any significant or meaningful way.

By contrast, Return to Against the Giants and Return to White Plume Mountain are some of my favorite modules, largely because they keep the feel of the original adventures while adding a new spin that I wouldn't have tried if tinkering with the modules in my own time.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I would definitely be interested in such discussions. I've played a number back in the day, but there are several still I never got to discuss.

I'd be interested in the following (though not limited to these!)...

Greyhawk Ruins
Ruins of Myth Drannor
Tale of the Comet
Treasures of Greyhawk
Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror
Throne of Bloodstone

All I can think of for now. Also would be interested in classic setting discussion.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Dragonhelm said:
I would definitely be interested in such discussions. I've played a number back in the day, but there are several still I never got to discuss.

I'd be interested in the following (though not limited to these!)...

Greyhawk Ruins
Ruins of Myth Drannor
Tale of the Comet
Treasures of Greyhawk
Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror
Throne of Bloodstone

All I can think of for now. Also would be interested in classic setting discussion.
Coolness :). I posted a thread on Greyhawk Ruins yesterday and Quasqueton had threads about Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror and the Bloodstone series.

I'll definitely be doing Ruins of Myth Drannor and Tale of the Comet would be cool as well (I only read this for the first time last year - looks very neat!). I am completely unfamiliar with Treasures of Greyhawk, but if folks want to share thoughts on that one then I'll add that to the list. The more the merrier :).

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Mark Hope said:
Coolness :). I posted a thread on Greyhawk Ruins yesterday and Quasqueton had threads about Dungeonland/Land Beyond the Magic Mirror and the Bloodstone series.

Excellent, thank you. :)

I'll definitely be doing Ruins of Myth Drannor and Tale of the Comet would be cool as well (I only read this for the first time last year - looks very neat!). I am completely unfamiliar with Treasures of Greyhawk, but if folks want to share thoughts on that one then I'll add that to the list. The more the merrier :).

Treasures of Greyhawk was a book filled with smaller adventures, each one having some sort of magical treasure in it. I used a lot of adventures from that book for my own campaign. One adventure had a great introduction to spelljamming, which is how I got into the Spelljammer universe.

Remove ads