Catalog of discussions on the "younger classics" adventures.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Edit: Here are the discussions currently posted:

The Night Below

Greyhawk Ruins

The Ruins of Undermountain

Return to the Tomb of Horrors

Dragon Mountain

Curse of the Azure Bonds

Dead Gods

Rod of Seven Parts

The Gates of Firestorm Peak

Dragon's Crown

Wildspace

Return to White Plume Mountain

Tale of the Comet

Vecna Lives!

A couple of interesting posts in Quasqueton's classic adventure thread helped crystallise some ideas that have been floating about for a while.

Is there any interest in a series of threads, in the same vein as Quasqueton's, that deal with the "younger classics" - namely those adventures that appeared during the years of AD&D2e (and late 1e)?

Quas' classic adventure discussion threads are an excellent look at the greats of early D&D adventures. It would be equally enjoyable, imho, to see some discussion of the adventures that appeared in the years following their release. The adventures of the 2e era don't have the vintage of the GDQ series, or the ToH, but there are certainly some interesting releases from that time.

In addition to the big boxed sets like Night Below, Dragon Mountain, Rod of Seven Parts and the like, there are also the many campaign-specific releases from TSR's various game worlds, including adventures like Dragon's Crown, Dead Gods, Wildspace and Curse of the Azure Bonds. All classics of their time, if you ask me.

Although there might not be as many players able to comment on those (especially as the proliferation of campaign worlds splintered the player-base), I'd like to hear what folks think. If there is interest, I'll get a series of threads started to dust of the "younger classics" and see how they fare when laid bare to public scrutiny...

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
2ed style was different. it focused more on filling out the adventures (no longer called modules) with information and stats that basically required you to use them.

instead of a bare bones format like the 1ed/D&D classics.

this had a lot to do with the introduction of the late 1ed mods like Dragonlance and Ravenloft.

in 2ed they became much more their own settings. 2ed also went ape with settings. birthright, dark sun, hollow world, planescape, spelljammer, ad naseum...

Go for it.

I personally never played any of the 2e classics, so I'd be interested in hearing more about them.

It would be cool if you could post a quick synopsis of each adventure so people like me know what everyone else is talking about.

diaglo

Adventurer
easiest way to note the difference in approach is to look at the late 1998 thru early 2000 releases of the "Return to" series for the 25th Anniversary.

Keep on the Borderlands
Against the Giants
Slavers
Tomb of Horrors
White Plume Mountain

drscott46

First Post
I had always wanted to run the module versions of SSI's Gold Box adventures- Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds- back in the day because I was running a Forgotten Realms Dalelands campaign and most of my players owned the software versions.

But after flipping through PDF files of the FRC1 and FRC2 modules recently... I doubt we would have had much fun with Ruins of Adventure. Poor writing and editing and very little of actual interest within the various blocks of Phlan. The computer game, despite being the first and messiest Gold Box affair, actually did this setting and adventure much better than the tabletop version. Ruins of Adventure resembles a 1e adventure in the wrong ways, with piles of random tables and empty maps and little to go on with regards to interesting NPCs and the like.

Curse of the Azure Bonds seemed considerably better. Because it was also partially based on the novel, the module actually served as a sequel, with the party getting its own bonds from (some) different adversaries than the book and then meeting the novel characters along the way. It seems as though a lot more thought, effort, and coordination went into FRC2.

Interestingly, neither module is particularly bad about railroading. FRC1 is very nonlinear and 1e-flavored, as I said, and FRC2 allows some of its sections to be completed in any order (although, like many 2e-era modules, still makes sure that certain things happen no matter what the characters do). Of course, some is necessary because the PCs are actively under the control of the BBEG collective.

drscott46

First Post
I could also talk a little about Undermountain as well. I spent twenty bucks on that boxed set, and therefore my players were gonna use it. Shortly after its acquisition the Dalelands party felt suddenly compelled to head for Waterdeep and the big city. And they were gonna like it. :)

Mark Hope

Adventurer
OK, cool. I'll pick one and go for it.

diaglo said:
...it focused more on filling out the adventures (no longer called modules)...
Heh heh. I had to consciously stop myself from writing "module" when making the post. Old habits... :D.

drscott46 said:
I doubt we would have had much fun with Ruins of Adventure.
Ugh. No. I bought it specifically so that I could run Azure Bonds as a proper sequel. Not impressed. But I'll save that for later... ;)

This thread might also be a good place for any suggestions as to what to discuss. Undermountain is a good choice - will definitely have to include that one. Post any more ideas here...

Arnwyn

First Post
Mark Hope said:
Is there any interest in a series of threads, in the same vein as Quasqueton's, that deal with the "younger classics" - namely those adventures that appeared during the years of AD&D2e (and late 1e)?
Heck, yeah! There can never be enough threads talking about adventures.

I do like hearing the stories about the 'classics' - as well as any criticisms. Fun reading.

Remove ads