Catalog of discussions on the "younger classics" adventures.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Joshua Randall said:
Here's one -- I bought, but never got a chance to run, Return to the Tomb of Horrors. It read fantastically, but I'd like to hear how people actually experienced it.
That's on the list for sure :]...

I'm figuring on putting up another generic one next, then a few from specific campaign worlds, then a couple more generics. Mix it up a bit, but be sure to get the "iconic" adventures from the various 2e settings in there...

drscott46

First Post
Mark Hope said:
That's on the list for sure :]...

I'm figuring on putting up another generic one next, then a few from specific campaign worlds, then a couple more generics. Mix it up a bit, but be sure to get the "iconic" adventures from the various 2e settings in there...

The top-thirty list from Dungeon #116 is a good guide- included amongst the old chestnuts are products like City of Skulls (1993, Greyhawk), Dead Gods (1997, Planescape), and The Gates of Firestorm Peak (1996, generic) in addition to the updated Tomb of Horrors and Temple of Elemental Evil.

That article also gives a top-ten list of the best Dungeon Magazine adventures, too- including "The Siege of Kratys Freehold" (issue #33), "The Lady of the Mists" (#42),the original "The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb" (#37), "Kingdom of the Ghouls" (#70), "The Forgotten Man" (#75), and "Eye of Myrkul" (#73). Also listed is "Into the Fire", from Issue #1... which was still 1986. I certainly wouldn't mind covering some of the best Dungeon pieces as well, as that's primarily what I used when actually gaming in 2e. I subscribed for several years (I think #34 was my first issue) and still regret selling about 25 issues on eBay for a pittance during a bout of collegiate cashflow trouble.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
drscott46 said:
The top-thirty list from Dungeon #116 is a good guide- included amongst the old chestnuts are products like City of Skulls (1993, Greyhawk), Dead Gods (1997, Planescape), and The Gates of Firestorm Peak (1996, generic) in addition to the updated Tomb of Horrors and Temple of Elemental Evil.
Yeah, going to do those for sure. I was actually planning to make City of Skulls the first Greyhawk one, but I might go with Greyhawk Ruins, given the recent announcement of Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk. Well, that or Gargoyle :D...

That article also gives a top-ten list of the best Dungeon Magazine adventures, too- including "The Siege of Kratys Freehold" (issue #33), "The Lady of the Mists" (#42),the original "The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb" (#37), "Kingdom of the Ghouls" (#70), "The Forgotten Man" (#75), and "Eye of Myrkul" (#73). Also listed is "Into the Fire", from Issue #1... which was still 1986. I certainly wouldn't mind covering some of the best Dungeon pieces as well, as that's primarily what I used when actually gaming in 2e.
Cool. Something for el-remmen to look at maybe ?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mark Hope said:
Well, that or Gargoyle :D...
You know, I can ban you. I think "Gargoyle" needs to go in the profanity filter!

Mostly because every time I think of it, I say "What the :):):):) were they thinking?"

diaglo

Adventurer
drscott46 said:

i blame Psion. :p

FunkBGR

Explorer
Tons of interest.

I'm the DM, that's my job. One thing is that I didn't get started on D&D until 3.0, but I definitely owned the 2nd Edition books, loved reading them, and really wanted to run a game. The barrier of entry with my friends was too high.

Now - I've been utilizing old school modules in the new system, such as running the original Castle Ravenloft, or as my post in the Night Below thread - Night Below and Gates of Firestorm Peak. I've used Return to the Keep on the Borderlands, and I've got a list of modules I'm just waiting to pop in.

This kind of thing is a good way to keep heads up about problem areas within such modules. So yeah, I'm interested.

jollyninja

First Post
drscott46 said:
and The Gates of Firestorm Peak (1996, generic)

ah, my first adventure. to this day i recall mounting the goat of terror and riding it through the underground bazzar inciting many a drow and duregar to flee. My paladin getting into an argument with the dwarf fighter about weither we should kill the goblin cooks. gibberlings fleeing in terror as the wizard lit up the mountian with fireballs. the final battle being a bit easier then i expected from the lead up.

i like this thread, many a good memory here, thanks guys.

Psion

Adventurer
drscott46 said:
I could also talk a little about Undermountain as well. I spent twenty bucks on that boxed set, and therefore my players were gonna use it.

Heh. I had a lot of fun with Undermountain. Even the UM II boxed sets that some folks seem to hate. I thought wildwood was a cool encounter area, and I really liked the NPCs.

One of the things that dampened the Undermountain experience was one FR fan player who knew that the UM was warded against teleports. Which, while I would agree it's a lousy technique, was something their characters simply wouldn't know. But he was paranoid about getting into a dungeon you can't instantaneously retreat from, so it was always a hard sell.

Remove ads