• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cavalier "Special Mount"

Fieari

Explorer
Cavalier levels stack with paladin levels for determining the abilities of your special mount... but if you have no paladin levels, do you get a special mount anyway? It doesn't say that you do, but the name of the ability is still Special Mount, which is the same as the name of the paladin ability...

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Fieari said:
Cavalier levels stack with paladin levels for determining the abilities of your special mount... but if you have no paladin levels, do you get a special mount anyway? It doesn't say that you do, but the name of the ability is still Special Mount, which is the same as the name of the paladin ability...
I would rule no. You don't get spellcasting ability just because a class has "+1 spellcaster level" if you didn't have it before. You don't get a special mount if you didn't have one before, even though the cavalier provides "+1 special mount level."

Scion

First Post
It says that the levels stack with any paladin levels that the character has for determining the mounts characteristics.

Personally I'd let the guy have the mount ::shrugs:: it would be much more clear cut if it said that they gained a mount if they did not already have one and that the levels also stacked.

The fact that it doesnt list the rules for a special mount is a bad sign. Especially since there really isnt much to define what a level 1 mount is in the paladins description. Which means it is most likely meant to not work.

But, like I said, I'd give the guy the mount. It isnt like after 10 levels of this class (min level 18) having a 10 level of paladin mount is going to be overpowering ;)

Then again, I would also let the levels stack with animal companion if it is being used as a mount. Maybe I am just a softy ;)

Last edited:

Corlon

First Post
The rules say it stacks with paladin levels, so if you have no paladin levels, no go. Then again, giving him a cool mount wouldn't strike me as wrong, but that'd be a house rule.

Remove ads