Caves of Chaos (1st group - PF) - Recruitment(closed sorry)

rangerjohn

Explorer
Well, there is the argument, that he has a spell list, but he is not capable of casting the spell yet. Like a first level wizard has fireball on his spell list, but he is not able to cast third level spells. I think UMD is for classes that either do not have a spell list, like a rogue or a limited list like magus or bard. But as in all things, it is your game and the final decision is yours HM.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Unlike most classes a paladin and ranger shouldn't have a spell list till they can cast their first spell.

Say you take a paladin and at lvl one I give you a wand of cure light.

You advance to level two as a paladin but when level three comes up you think you need a few more feats and martial abilities. You take the next four levels in fighter to get weapon specialization and then go back and take your third level in paladin.

Now for seven levels I have let you use any wand you come across as though you had a spell list. At level eight you decide you want to start down the Stalwart Defender PrC (because you want the DR ability).

So finally at 18th level you decide to take your paladin class to level four.

Sorry I think it best to wait till you have spells to say you have a spell list.

Would make an interesting character, hmmm...

HM

rangerjohn

Explorer
We will just have to agree to disagree and run our games as such. The only time I would interpret it as you do is if you took a spelless arch-type.

Walking Dad

First Post
Found it:

Spell Trigger: Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it's even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Spell trigger items can be used by anyone whose class can cast the corresponding spell. This is the case even for a character who can't actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin. The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
BBM

Wands are spell trigger items.

Activation: Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast has a longer casting time than 1 action, however, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for non-humanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

So, HM, are you houseruling it to be otherwise, or not?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ah-ha! I now see where I messed up.

It says class and not character. Always thought the character had to have spellcasting ability to gain spell lists.

Thought the "not have to be able to cast the spell of the wand" was meant for low level casters using higher lvl wand (i.e. 3rd lvl wizard and wand of fireballs). It meant not be able to cast at all.

Will play it as written.

Thanks for the clarification.

HM

Rhydius

First Post
"So it is written, so shall it be done!" to misquote Yul Brynner.
[sblock]
Ramses%2BII%2Bas%2BYul%2BBrynner.jpg
[/sblock]I just couldn't help myself.:p

Remove ads