CB's Grim Frequencies IC -- COMPLETE

Shayuri

First Post
While Kiehn was marching upstairs, Death Otter went to Esmerelda numbly and felt for a pulse. Then she checked the girl's injuries to see if what the agent had done also changed the appearance of the injuries that had killed her.

Yeah, was what Otter thought. Yeah, it would look something like that, wouldn't it? Or, it COULD look like that. No sparkles or moonbeams, just a...revision. Existence was defined by information. It was just encoded on a medium human beings hadn't learned how to access. It could be defined, however, by what it wasn't. The acidpus. Whatever Kiehn had done. Sometimes you couldn't understand the rules until you saw them broken. Was the poetry important, or just some kind of garbage data...like flooding a port or something?

She wasn't sure, but she was damn well going to find out.

Hack the universe, bitches. But right now the only one she could actually have conversation with who verifiably could do it was walking upstairs. Probably to rein in Professor X and the rest of the Shawshank gang.

Resolutely, she turned and hurried after him. Otter had no plan to get him to cough this information up, but it was a moot question until he was actually in her presence. Then she'd just wing it.

[roll0] Init

Round 1

Keihn's hand came out of his pocket with a .45 caliber handgun. He aimed the firearm at T-dawg. "Sit down. You lot aren't going anywhere. You too, Charles."

OOC: Wow. Cyril and Otter both rolled init 12, and both have Dex 14, so I rolled off between the pair of them and got this, prompting a second roll-off. Which Cyril won. [MENTION=6763059]Rubberneck[/MENTION], J.R. is up first. I'll call for actions one at a time in init order. Keihn does not realize J.R. is standing behind him.

15yj7de.jpg

Initiative:
J.R. 12
Cyril 12
Otter 12
Bukowski 10
Feral 8
T-dawg 7
Keihn 4
Marks 1

Rubberneck

First Post
J.R. will attempt to disarm Keihn

OOC: Not sure exactly what to roll, I read the book and I guess we just roll attacks and the biggest wins?

[roll0]

[sblock=Disarm]Your RG character sheet still has J.R. as a 3rd level character, [MENTION=6763059]Rubberneck[/MENTION]. I've commented to you at least three times since July that you need to level him up to 5th level, so I'm sorry but I'll be using 3rd-level stats for J.R. for duration of this encounter. Absent the Improved Disarm feat--which J.R. doesn't have listed on his sheet--the Disarm action provokes an Attack of Opportunity. Per the d20 Modern SRD, Disarm is a melee attack, not an action. As a melee attack, it can be used once in an attack or charge action, one or more times in a full attack action, or even as an attack of opportunity.

d20 Modern SRD said:
As a melee attack, a character may attempt to disarm his or her opponent. If the character does so with a weapon, he or she knocks the opponent’s weapon out of his or her hands and to the ground. If the character attempts the disarm while unarmed, the character ends up with the weapon in his or her hand. If a character is attempting to disarm the wielder of a melee weapon, follow the steps outlined here. Disarming the wielder of a ranged weapon is slightly different; see below.

Step One: The character provokes an attack of opportunity from the target he or she is trying to disarm.
Step Two: The character and the target make opposed attack rolls with their respective weapons. If the weapons are different sizes, the combatant with the larger weapon gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category. If the target is using a weapon in two hands, he or she gets an additional +4 bonus. Also, if the combatants are different sizes, the larger combatant gets a bonus on the attack roll of +4 per difference in size category.
Step Three: If the character beats the target’s attack roll, the target is disarmed. If the character attempted the disarm action unarmed, he or she now has the weapon. If the character was armed, the target’s weapon is on the ground at the target’s feet.
If the character fails the disarm attempt, the target may immediately react and attempt to disarm the character with the same sort of opposed melee attack roll. The opponent’s attempt does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the character. If the opponent fails to disarm, the character does not get a free disarm attempt against the opponent.

To disarm an opponent wielding a ranged weapon, the character makes a melee attack or unarmed attack to strike the weapon in the opponent’s hand (see Attack an Object). If the weapon is held in two hands, it gets a +2 bonus to its Defense. If the character’s attack succeeds, the ranged weapon falls to the ground or winds up in the character’s hands (if the character made the attack unarmed). This kind of disarm attempt provokes an attack of opportunity, but if the character fails, the target does not get to make a disarm attempt against him or her.
Keihn is holding a Colt .45 M1911 in two hands (it's a big weapon and he's runty). The .45 is a ranged weapon, sized small, so J.R. is attacking an object, and the weapon will get +2 to its Defense. J.R. will need to make an attack roll and hit Defense 17 to Disarm the Colt .45 (which I've provided, see below). The Disarm attempt will provoke an AoO from Keihn.[/sblock]

J.R. crept up unnoticed behind Keihn. J.R. snaked a hand around to try to snatch Keihn's .45, but Keihn had the firearm in two hands and J.R. failed to divest Keihn of the weapon. Keihn spun around--momentarily leaving his back to the group in the kitchen--tried to fire off a shot at J.R.. J.R. tried to react by punching Keihn, but missed. The gun went off, but failed to hit J.R. hitting J.R. and dealing 5 points of damage.

OOC: I'll update the map when I get home tonight. J.R. is standing next to Otter in the hallway. Cyril's up, [MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION].

EDIT: Keihn can't take an AoO on J.R. because Keihn's got a ranged weapon. So, to keep the IC as clean as possible, Keihn's gun fired but no damage to J.R.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
"What the Hell man?!? You're going to bring the cops! Just f)(*&^ing quit!" Cyril shouted. The only thing he wanted to happen was for Keihn to stop shooting.

OOC: Cyril is going to go ahead and try to daze Keihn (Mental and Material Displays). DC 15 Will Save or he can't take actions or move. Otherwise, no one gains any special advantage over him.

Attempting manifest without display (DC16): [roll0]

Shayuri

First Post
Otter's heart nearly stopped when she heard the gunshot. In her mind's eye she saw Kiehn lying in an expanding pool of blood on the floor...all the precious knowledge in his brain draining uselessly away.

"No guns!" she blurted, whipping around the corner to see into the kitchen. "No killing! For the love of...god, what are you people DOING in here? We're supposed to be FIXING the police thing, not making it worse!"

She held her hands out. Making peace was not really her THING, but it was where she was. "Lets de-escalate this. Agent, you put that thing away, and the rest of us...stop doing whatever you were doing that made him draw it. Good plan, or the BEST plan?"

(OOC - lol, okay, I was away yesterday...bad timing I see now! Post incoming, just have to review my sheet and figure out what she can do without spellz. :))

(OOC 2 - Electric Boogaloo - Without checking the rules directly I can't be 100% sure, but I think Kiehn does not get an AoO on two counts. First count, he's not threatening an area due to not having a melee weapon. Second count even if he WAS threatening an area, he couldn't make a ranged attack as his AoO. If you decided to count the pistol as an improvised club, then one could make an argument for him being 'armed' and thus threatening an area...but then he'd be making an 'improvised club' attack, not an 'I shoot you' attack. By the RAW that is. GM prerogative notwithstanding. :))

Last edited:

OOC: I think that's right. I knew there was something wrong yesterday when I was putting up that post, now I know what it is. Thanks for pointing out the error. So, no damage to J.R., [MENTION=6763059]Rubberneck[/MENTION] (but you still need to level up your character sheet), and--to reiterate--J.R. did not disarm Keihn. Now, onward! Need an action for Otter for this round.

Remove ads