• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Father Spec hangs his glowing mace on his belt, causing dramatic shadows to stretch up and hit the ceiling, magnifying all of their sizes and distorting their upper bodies. He notices none of that, however, since he is focused on the chest.

Perception [roll0]

He moves to the Southwest corner of the room.

Unlike the chest in Room 8, this chest has a small but obvious keyhole on its front, centered just beneath a flat lid. The chest is made entirely of stone, and doesn't seem to have any exterior hinges. Something sticky--if the bits of dust and cobwebs stuck to it are any indication--and clear has been smeared into the lid, and the remnants of this smear have dribbled down the front of the chest onto the keyhole.
[sblock=Wisdom (Perception) DC 14]The husk of a very small dessicated mouse, long dead, lies behind the chest in a gap between the chest and the wall. The rodent seems to have a clear varnish-like substance on its paws, underbelly, and tail.[/sblock]

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Unlike the chest in Room 8, this chest has a small but obvious keyhole on its front, centered just beneath a flat lid. The chest is made entirely of stone, and doesn't seem to have any exterior hinges. Something sticky--if the bits of dust and cobwebs stuck to it are any indication--and clear has been smeared into the lid, and the remnants of this smear have dribbled down the front of the chest onto the keyhole.
[sblock=Wisdom (Perception) DC 14]The husk of a very small dessicated mouse, long dead, lies behind the chest in a gap between the chest and the wall. The rodent seems to have a clear varnish-like substance on its paws, underbelly, and tail.[/sblock]

Guran says to the others, "The next thing is, what can we conclude about this chest?" He takes his torch down from the sconce again; and, approaching the chest, he holds the torch above, behind, beside, and around the top of the chest, looking for what he can see.

"I think I see danger," he adds. "There's something like a dead mouse behind the chest, having a coating of some kind of substance on its underside. Could there be a clear potion smeared atop the chest?

"I don't alchemize. How does a person detect a contact poison?"

Guran moves a bit westward, and holds his torch to shine behind the chest so others can see what he saw.

Forged Fury

First Post
"Generally by the presence of a dead rat?" Fulgrim offered. "We could try to burn it off? The chest is stone so it should remain unharmed as long as the heat from the fire isn't too intense. Then use gloves for safe measure?" At the back of his mind, the mage couldn't help but think the poison would likely be of little consequence to the dwarves in the party.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: Re: "likely be of little consequence to the dwarves in the party."

Regular poisons certainly: Having advantage on CON saves makes a big difference. However, if the clear coating is an alchemical tincture of save-or-die, then maybe more investigation is called for. Guran, of course, can only guess what it might be, and therefore left that part of things to the smarter members of the party.

"If we're to burn things, then I would rather not breathe the smoke of it," Guran observes. He reinserts the torch in the sconce again and moves out of that room and the next, into the hallway.

OOC:
Father Spec offers to assist anyone wishing to pick the lock [roll with advantage?].
I'll permit Help on picking the lock, and it will grant advantage. If the chest turns out to be poisoned, however, both the primary lock picker and his helper will need to make saving throws. FYI. Let me know how you guys elect to proceed.

Forged Fury

First Post
The dwarf shrugged as Guran left. Looking to the others, he said, "I can do my best to clean off whatever substance that is, but I can't pick a lock." Before moving closer to the chest, Fulgrim examined the ceiling above the chest, a little worried the substance may be the secretions of a giant insect of some sort.

OOC: @CB: How big is the chest? I was thinking of using Prestidigitation's cleaning effect, but it only effects an object no larger than a cubic foot. Otherwise, I'll just use a torch to try to burn the stuff off.

Skarsgard

Explorer
"Can we not use the stuff from the cask to clean it up?" Colden asks innocently. "It does smell pretty caustic."

Colden also examines the area around and above the chest. [roll0]

Remove ads