D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: Fireblot is so much more effective than firebolt

Spotting the charred remains of the spider, the dwarf mage thought Nope! While the party was still outside of the room, Fulgrim took Guran's advice and evoked another blast of fire at the chest to see if the substance would react to the flames.

Just before everyone re-entered the hidden room, Fulgrim evoked a second bolt of flame. He aimed for the stone chest. The mote of fire hit the chest, which did not catch fire and remained intact. When the flames died down, the clear substance still coated the lid and lock, however. The dead rodent behind the chest burned to a crisp, leaving a shiny residue on its charred remains.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Father Spec re-enters the room to inspect the chest. He doesn't want to touch the clear substance, but the possibility that it is functioning as a seal keeping gas or something in has occurred to him. [[passive perception/inspection both 20]]

If he believes he can proceed without uncovering an obvious hole, he will use his dagger (first) to try to lever the substance away. He's also proficient in thieves' tools, if he feels there is a lock that can be picked. But perhaps if someone else (more agile than the middle-aged Spec) is also proficient and wishes to try, he can offer help [[advantage]]. Or, if there's a volunteer, he'll take the help from that person.

He whispers a quiet prayer to himself before proceeding [[casting guidance, +1d4]].

Father Spec examines the stone chest. He looks carefully for holes, but sees none. Using his dagger, he tries to lever off or scrape at the clear substance coating the lid and the lock, and finds that the stuff is gelatinous and sticky. He tries to lift his dagger away from the chest lid, but the dagger is stuck fast. The blade is caught in the goo, with the handle hanging in free air off the edge of the lid. Spec is able, however, to let go of the dagger.

OOC: Let me know if you still wish to cast guidance. And, if so, what check you want guidance to apply to.

Forged Fury

First Post
"It seems we need a solvent of some sort. If it was the occupants of Stonefast who applied the adhesive to the chest, it would make sense that they would have some way to remove it. Perhaps we should come back later after further exploration?" Fulgrim suggested.

Looking over his map, he finished, "Perhaps we should return to the entrance or one of the more secure rooms and rest for the evening before proceeding further."

OOC: Mostly a meta-game request. We advanced a level, but those of us who are spellcasters need to take a Long Rest to learn/prepare new spells. I think we're doing okay on the Hit Point front right now.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
"That sounds good to me," Guran agrees.

If there is general agreement, Guran goes to the entry room where they found the book.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Mm. Yes. Fulgrim, is it? Yes. Very well. I'm happy to take first watch." Father Spec feels very much part of the group, but he will miss his knife.

OOC: Spec arrived just after the level-up. I hadn't realized.

Remove ads