• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

If there is light Roscoe will grab one of his javelins. The bare chest halfling do not need to waste time on armor. He will exit the room to hurl a javelin at the Orc. [roll0] [roll1] before he pulls out his sword.

Initiative:
Guran 19
Orc 14
Roscoe 10
Fulgrim 10
Spec 5
Colden 4

Glancing briefly at Fulgrim, Guran drew back his arm to attack by throwing his axe, giving Fulgrim the slightest opportunity to stop him if the mage has some different idea about what to do. When Fulgrim made no move to stop him, Guran flicked the axe at the orc, hitting the creature in the back for 9 points of damage. The axe buried itself deeply in the creature's muscle, just a hair to the right of the orc's spine. It sliced through the studded leather armor the orc wore. Guran spouted off at the mouth, "Oof, you doof!" His exclamation woke Colden, Roscoe, and Spec.

The orc squeaked in surprise, and barked something in its own language.[sblock=Orcish]"Graznackt! We's company in mud hall!"[/sblock]

The orc picked up its falchion from the floor, shot a sneer at Guran, and took off down Corridor C. The creature was out of sight nearly immediately.

OOC: I'm pausing here to let Roscoe, Fulgrim, Spec, and Colden restate their actions if they wish. The orc has been wounded by Guran, and then the orc took off running. It was 35 feet away from Guran when Guran pegged it with his axe (good shot!), so it had a bit of a head start. Guran saw it run off down Corridor C.

Forged Fury

First Post
A slight look of annoyance crossed Fulgrim's face, it was gone by the time he dashed past Guran and after the orc. Moving as fast as he could, the dwarf mage stopped 5' short of the door to the abandoned church office, drew his warhammer, and said, "Come now, greenskins, meet your doom!"

OOC: If engaged and hit, Fulgrim is using his reaction to cast Shield

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
OOC: Taking Forged Fury's comment in the OOC thread to heart: the distance to the orc might have caused Guran to miss, because of Disadvantage imposed by a long shot beyond the handaxe's normal range: if Guran took 12 feet of movement to stand (half his regular movement), that leaves him 13 feet of movement to get out of the antechamber and down the hallway toward his target; but he would have had to travel 15 feet down the hallway toward the orc in order to get within the axe's 20-foot normal range. This leaves him at Disadvantage due to long range, which cancels out his Advantage of being unseen and unheard.

Dang. I was so pleased by that second attack roll, too. . . .

OOC: Edit to add: even a Javelin wouldn't have had enough range. I should have equipped Guran with a Crossbow; he had 33 GP left over after shopping, and Xbows only cost 25 GP. (Live and learn?)

Last edited:

Combat Round 1, resolved

The orc double moved on its turn. It didn't run, but it did hustle.

Roscoe needed a light source to pursue the Orc. Since none was available just yet and the room was dark, Roscoe ran to the turn to see if he could spot the Orc. Alas, in the inky dark of the hallway and the corridor, Roscoe could see nothing, but he heard the flapping of feet on stone somewhere down Corridor C (the westernmost corridor that lead south).

A slight look of annoyance crossed Fulgrim's face, and was gone by the time he dashed past Guran and after the orc. Moving as fast as he could, the dwarf mage stopped 5' short of the door to the abandoned church office, drew his warhammer, and said, "Come now, greenskins, meet your doom!" Fulgrim wasn't attacked by anything, and he didn't see anything in the corridor, but he could hear something rustling in Hallway B, to the west. Whatever it was was moving fast, and away from the party.

It was pitch black, so Spec instinctively tapped the wall and illuminated the room with his divine power. Light instantly flooded Room 2, spilling out fifteen feet into Hallway A to the left and right of the open door from Room 2.

"Damn!" Colden cursed, and started fumbling to get on his armour.

Initiative:
Guran 19
Orc 14
Roscoe 10
Fulgrim 10
Spec 5
Colden 4

OOC: End of Round 1. Guran is up first, and then the orc. If you like, any of you may post at will now. I will, however, adjudicate Guran's and the orc's action, then pause to give the rest of everyone a chance to either state or re-state their character's action for the round.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Father Spec is disoriented, and wipes his nose as he sits up. "Huffle," he insists. He stands, grabs his shield and mace, and says "I'll just check around the other side. Pip!"

As soon as he can, he heads to the north door, goes through and into the adjoining room (#1) to prevent any orcs from approaching along another my flank. (He's not been in this room before, but has seen the map, and knows it communicates.) He's ready to attack any enemy he sees on the way, but will stop at the door that reaches the corridor the orc is expected to come along.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
"That'll teach us not to try to sleep inside this fortress," Guran comments.

He takes a new torch out of his pack and lights it, then moves 25 feet toward the west.

"What do we want to do, people? I only saw one orc, and I think the orc only saw me. I think this means they don't know our numbers. Wherever they are, we'll probably be walking into a prepared welcome. Should we finish our night's sleep outside, where they might not think to look for us, before springing their defenses -- or hit 'em now before they're fully ready?"

Remove ads