• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E CB's Stonefast IC -- COMPLETE

Skarsgard

Explorer
Colden smirks as he unties his rope, he really was unpleasantly smug about the situation. He casts an eye about the hallway before throwing a rope down.

"Here you go!" he calls out as he braces himself to take the load.

[roll0]

Forged Fury

First Post
Updated Map

Notes:
- The house symbol is the sarcophagus that swung out of the way.
- The grid is the trap door Fulgrim fell through.
- The down arrow with the dots around it are the stairs revealed due to the shifting crypt
- For reference, Room 11 is where we fought the orcs.
- I haven't placed anyone on the map. I believe both Colden and Spec are adjacent to the trapdoor.

Stonefast.jpg

OOC: My thanks. Everything on the map is correctly placed. I want to clarify a couple things, though. The square with the house symbol contains the sarcophagus that swung out of the way, but the sarcophagus swung enough in the clockwise direction that a character could squeeze into and stand in that square. Also, the stairs heading down beneath the sarcophagus (I keep spelling that word incorrectly and have to edit it, ugh) head due east. I know the symbols are just Excel's symbols, and they're oriented according to Excel's whims and neither mine nor FF's, but I wanted to clarify JUST IN CASE.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Hearing a "sproing!" sound, and a splash, and a call for rope, Guran decided it was time to see for himself what was happening, instead of simply relying on the discussion from the others. He walked into the room a short distance and looked.

OOC: Guran's WIS (Perception) check:

[roll0]

DOUBLE COMBAT!

Colden, with Spec in tow to help guide, walks counterclockwise along up the eastern edge of the sarcophagus. Sure enough, there's an open hole in the floor. Looking down, Colden sees that the pit descends into darkness. Spec's light, which has been cast on the western wall of the room, seeps into the dank pit. Toward the limits of the light, Colden can make out water about 15' down, but he doesn't see the dwarf. Fulgrim fell into a pit of water, it seems. With Spec holding the belay end of the rope, Colden starts lowering the rope down the hole to the water.

Everyone except for Fulgrim hears a scuttling sound coming from the corridor that runs past the orc room. The scuttling is interspersed by a clacking noise, like nails on stone. Guran, who still holds a lit torch so that Roscoe can see, and Roscoe remain in the hall and spot two severed dead-looking hands creeping along the stone floor. The hands are tiny, occupy the same space, and both have a bit of raw bone jutting out the still-intact wrist. Long dark grey nails honed to a point tip each of the hands' five fingers. The forefinger of one of the hands raises in the air and quirks--it's as if the hand is scenting prey. More scuttling from the corridor by the orc room filters into the hallway. Inside the sarcophagus room, Colden and Spec hear the scuttling but are unable to see the hands from their present location.

CrawlingClaw.jpg
Credit: 5e MM, Jim Pavelec​

GM: Colden, Spec, Roscoe, and Guran roll initiative, and each of you please state what you'll do for Round 1. You are not surprised and may act for Round 1. The hands are not surprised either. The hands are tiny and occupy the far western square in the hallway. Colden is in the square immediately south of the pit trap. Spec is right behind Colden (in the southeastern corner of the sarcophagus room). Roscoe and Guran, please state where you are standing.

Hands' [roll0]

2j436ol.jpg

Down in the watery cavern, Fulgrim realized his dungeoneer's pack and probably the majority of its contents were wet through. He spotted the end of the rope tossed down by Colden dangling directly across the cavern beneath the trap door opening. Black ripples of water circled outward where the rope dipped into the pool. Fulgrim felt something slimy coating his rock ledge. Lifting a finger to inspect the substance, it was clear. Fulgrim's eyes went back to the rippling water. Something was coming from beneath the pool.

GM: Roll init for Fulgrim, and state what he'll do for Round 1. Fulgrim is not surprised.

Creature of the deep [roll1]

EDIT TO MAP: Guran is inside the sarcophagus room, in the first square of the open doorway to the room.

Remove ads