CE vs. N (FFA): Very Young Howling Dragon vs. Thunder Worm

Gansk

Explorer
OOC: I thought there was a rule that said summoned creatures can't teleport, but I can't find it now. But I also don't see anything that says that rutterkin or tanar'ri can teleport either.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My stat block lists greater teleport as a special Quality - but its not in the text -
of course I dont own BoVD I just copied out rutterkin and Bar-larga stats into my notebook.

And I have only read that summoned creatures are unable to use summoning magics for 1 hour after arrival. (no more cascades of dretch :( )

I wanted one rutterkin around to provoke AoO's and wanted the other (hopefully) out of the way of thunderclaps until he was needed.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
It's in the summon monster description: "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities." Whether this applies to Summon Tanar'ri or not is debateable, but I agree that that was the rule.
EH said:
I wanted one rutterkin around to provoke AoO's and wanted the other (hopefully) out of the way of thunderclaps until he was needed.
But you only gave directions for one. That left the other one to me . . mywahahahaha, er. They will not even be noticed by the general, however, dying quickly and futilely in a thunderclap.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
SRD said:
A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells.

I had never noticed the teleport caviat under summon monster & natures ally. The general summoning rules (above) say nothing about it.

Sounds like a DM call - but I would say its a property of the summon monster spell. not all summoning effects.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
I had never noticed the teleport caviat under summon monster & natures ally. The general summoning rules (above) say nothing about it.

Sounds like a DM call - but I would say its a property of the summon monster spell. not all summoning effects.
But then a creature's innate summoning ability (demo or otherwise) says this: "...much as though casting a summon monster spell..." ;)

Gansk

Explorer
OOC: Well, since I allowed the summoning ability to bypass the one round casting time, I might as well allow the summoned creatures to teleport. Rutterkin still don't have teleport listed as a special quality. I would have one rutterkin move to where he should be teleporting to, but 125N is out of the arena anyway.

Both rutterkin run away.

Round 942: General Rumbull flies to 75N25E20Z and thunderclaps. Cat doesn't dodge (10 Ref save) and takes 99 points of damage. Cat survives with 4 hp left (33 Fort save vs. massive damage).

Gansk

Explorer
The general ignores Cat's wailing. (10 SR check)

Round 943: He descends to 75N25E15Z and touches Cat for 13 points of sonic damage. Cat is dying.

Next for CE: a cave troll. (MM III)

Remove ads