• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CHAINMAIL is now permanently active!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've just loaded up CHAINMAIL. This, as voted for by us all, is to be our permanent home.

Bear in mind that the date of the next update to the module is unknown. It could be days, it could be months. For those interested in following its development, you can check out the CHAINMAIL Dev Forum. Please remember that I'm not able to fix bugs - I have no idea how the module works and it uses a lot of custom code etc. that I can't begin to understand. Any bugs will (hopefully) be addressed in the next update, whenever that is.

Note that the module is designed for people to begin with starting level characters. If you really want to use your old PoA epic level character loaded down with gold, feel free to do so - but my interest and DMing efforts will be focused on those who choose to experience the module as it was designed.

Also remember that Item Level Restrictions are ON. You all had a few days to sell off or unequip items from PoA. I won't, under any circumstances, be turning off ILR, even temporarily. Once you turn it off, you can't turn it back on - someone within the module will always manage to get something above their level while it's off, and so it has to be left off longer so they can get rid of it; and, of course, while that's happening, other people are getting hold of stuff above their level. That's why ILR ended up being off permanently on PoA - because I made the mistake of being persuaded to turn it off for a short time.

If you didn't use the few days to get rid of your stuff, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sorry, but there's no way around it. That's not a choice I'm making to annoy you - it's a practical reality of the situation of moving to CHAINMAIL.

Anyway, enjoy the module! :)

Neo

Explorer
cantrip said:
Actually, ILR seem to be off. Better fix it before more people arrive...

Not so fast.. i still need to make sure the last 2 chars i was playing have all their gear off LOL.. just spent the majority of Christmas without an internet connection (been switching computers..) and im back now and trying to catch up on what ive missed.

JBuzz

First Post
Has anyone started a new character? I noticed that the Ship Captian no longer levels to 2nd level? Or did I totally miss somthing. It looks as if that dialog has been changed as it no longer gives you the option of going to Fontessa City.

Just looking for some Clarification.

Celia_Gyweth

First Post
2nd Level for new Charecters

JBuzz said:
Has anyone started a new character? I noticed that the Ship Captian no longer levels to 2nd level? Or did I totally miss somthing. It looks as if that dialog has been changed as it no longer gives you the option of going to Fontessa City.

Just looking for some Clarification.

I started a new charecter (Vel, Human, currently 5th level Ranger). I did not see any options for gaining a level with any NPC. I suppose (with the gold I have now), that Vel could take ship to Fontessa City, and speak to the caption on THAT ship, but it's probably now too late.

This is one of the things I'd love to hear an answer on though, so I can put in in the .pdf I'm putting together.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
PDF? Is that some kind of guide? Sounds cool. What do you have in it?

I don't believe there are any level gain NPCs in the current version, I'm afraid.

Celia_Gyweth

First Post
Alright, here is the Skinny-DM's and Users, please read.

Morrus said:
PDF? Is that some kind of guide? Sounds cool. What do you have in it?

I don't believe there are any level gain NPCs in the current version, I'm afraid.

In some of my recent posts, I've mentioned a .pdf. Some of you might recall the .pdf of the Forgotten Forest maps that I uploaded months ago. If I personally have trouble with something not related to actually melee encounters, and I keep having trouble with it, I document it mentally, and finally in a text file.

Since we are all new (more or less) to Chainmail, there is a host of things that could be stated, up front, to help new / existing players. Keep in mind that newbies who have never played a public mod can be really ignorant. Such as:

Level Gain NPC's: None
Modes of travel: Ship, Recall Portal, Recall Portal Binding, On Foot, Party Leader Recall, Other
Hireable NPC's: Soldiers, Henchman, Non-Human NPC's, Other?
Base Items: Town Merchents, Wandering Merchents, Drops, Other
Who sells what: Example, for those that want put Continual Flame on an item of clothing..Which merchent sells that crystal?
Crafting System: Armor, Weapons, Other? (There appears to be some sort of other crafting systems in place, but I don't yet know what they are)
Maps: Not detailed one's per se, but something that shows how to get to places that are not accessible directly by the Recall Portals.

That's just part of what I was going to put into a .pdf, and upload it here. Then, if somebody is really annoyed, they can download it at their leisure. Users will be able to click a "bookmark" in the .pdf, so if they have just one thing they want to look up, they don't see any other information in the .pdf.

Also, behind the scenes, I'm going to be modifying Seviss Isles for an upcoming campaign some RL friends are going to run. I've spent the last month figuring out how to "do" that, and can now offer my services in matters of coding, should there be a need.

And, in regards to the news that Kadamait is dropping Chainmail Development. Sad news, but not really surprising. But worry not! After looking long and hard at Seviss Isles, I have to say that it, and Chainmail, are really the best third-party, PW's there is. And other people will continue to work on them, because they also know that. So worry not :)

Remove ads