• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character artwork, seeking opinions

Jaligard

First Post
I just wanted to see what you guys thought of my picture. It's line art made in Adobe Illustrator.

She'll be my next character for the Ruins of Raven's Bluff.

Attachments

• kerri.jpg
    kerri.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 224

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Like I've said before, I'm not very hot on digital drawings. Yours however is really good. It doesn't have the hard edge colouring that a lot of digital work seems to have.

Keep them coming, I want to see some more !

Guillaume

TheLoneGoldfish

First Post
I like the image but someone has to nitpick... may as well be me.

I feel the sword is far too long and thin. It looks like a rapier, but the length and the way she holds it makes it feel like a thin longsword.

Her right arm seems to be in an ackward pose as well but I can't place it. It looks like she's grabbing onto a shoulder strap but her it dosn't convey it properly.

In addition her breasts seem to dissapear once they go under her shirt. The backpack straps don't seem to be adjusted for their pressence.

It's still better than anything I could do at the moment. And even with the aforementioned critique the picture has good style.

---

Looking at the image once more I have a few more comments.

The perspective of the picture seems to be as if it was wrapped across a ball or something (the best way I can describe it with my current lack of sleep). Her feet are being looked down upon but you cannot clearly make the jump in perspective from there to the straight on view on the upper half of the character.

Also her hair seems to be flat and lacking in shading. (I know it's hard to do in Illustrator or whatever vector image program I'm assuming you did this in.) The one shade across the entire lenght of her hair makes it look like she's got a piece of cardboard behind her head.

Actually considering the image is cropped to the extents of the sword, elbow and foot you probably composed the image in illustrator and exported it. In order to get it to crop the image with a bit more of a border around the character try putting a white rectangle behind all your other artwork. That is only if you feel like it of course.

I hope the critique helps.... and I say again I really like the image despite my nitpicking.

Edit: Didn't see you announced what you made it in... heh. my bad

Last edited:

Jaligard

First Post
Hey, thanks for the comments!

I can't believe I forgot to shade her hair! (Actually, it's easy to believe given the way I made the image.)

Yeah, the perspective got a little screwed up. I modeled the image in Poser first, which explains why you look down on the feet. The head was above the camera so you looked up at it, but I couldn't make it look right that way, so I straightened the face out.

The backpack was a late addition (I'm hoping to fix it later) and I think I can fix the shoulder straps pretty easily. She's holding the other shoulder strap, which I think I can also clear up.

As for the rapier and the bodice, I think I'm okay with those. Rapiers tend to be pretty long and thin, you actually have a longer reach than if you used a longsword--I think I will do another one in a combat stance, though.

I may post corrections to this one later tonight (much later) and I'll start on the combat stance around then, too. The big problem with line art like this is that it takes a long time to create.

Storn

Explorer
I'm pretty impressed that you did that with Illustrator.

But as a brush and ink man myself, I am imploring you to explore that. The thick, thin line work that you can do with brush (or quill, dip pen) is so superior. Because you will create interest.

then the coloring can be done in photoshop or painter, if you want that digital look.

And for the record, he never said that the sword was a long sword. The raipier look really doesn't bother me.

Kilmore

First Post
I know the pain of drawing with Illustrator.

Me to line: "WHERE are you GOING?!?"

I figure that anything I draw with Illustrator is going to look something like an animation cell. Of course, sometimes, that's what I'm wanting to do.

I noticed a few problems. The Fishman touched on them.

Remove ads