• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Creation Stat Draft (Trial Draft Complete!!)

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I'll have to a stat draft sometime. Usually I do point buy or the standard 4d6 (drop 1) six times. But I think a stat draft could be great! I'll even let my players roll the stats for the stat draft and I'll roll a set and they pick from those. I'll probably use thanees suggested for whoever picked lowest stat last round picks first the next round.

Thanee

First Post
Aust Diamondew said:
I'll probably use thanees suggested for whoever picked lowest stat last round picks first the next round.

If you meant the second version in my example, that was the idea posted by Umbran. :)

Bye
Thanee

Finley DaDum

First Post
Count me in for the draft if u need 1 more

I don't post very often, more of a lurker. But your thread has peeked my interest if you still need someone else for the Draft I would be happy to help out.

I am online pretty frequently so I will post back here pretty quickly anyway should be an enlightening experience, as I may try this myself in the future.

Finley

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Finley DaDum said:
I don't post very often, more of a lurker. But your thread has peeked my interest if you still need someone else for the Draft I would be happy to help out.

I am online pretty frequently so I will post back here pretty quickly anyway should be an enlightening experience, as I may try this myself in the future.

Finley

Four more and we can go. . It doesn't really matter how long it takes. .

Thanee

First Post
Well, if it doesn't matter, then I can certainly help out as well. I thought you would be better off with people from your time zone. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Gold Roger

First Post
Aye, if time doesn't matter too much, count me in as well. I'm be interested to see how this works out and would have followed the thread anyway.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
pogre said:
Ben Durbin used a stat draft style system for his campaign a couple of years ago. I don't remember the details, but he was happy with the results.

For each player, I made a set of stat cards like this:

+2 STR
+2 CON
+2 DEX
+2 INT
+2 WIS
+2 CHA
+1 "special" card per player-- things like a bonus feat, or bonus starting money, etc.

Everyone started with a base of 10 in each attribute (you could also do a base of 9 or 11), plus one set of cards.

If you just held on to all your cards, you'd have a 12 in every attribute.

Then I encouraged the players to get together and trade the cards around as a group.

It worked pretty well.

It would work just as well as a draft, of course. Instead of everyone getting one set of cards, all the cards are put into the pool, and you take turns picking cards.

By the way, I think the standard draft order is a constant ABCDE, EDCBA, ABCDE, EDCBA until you're all done.

If you are having the players pick cards (as I outlined above) instead of picking actual scores from a list, the order in which they take their picks won't matter as much.

If there's only one 18 in your sample rolls, for example, then you have a huge advantage for the lucky guy who picks first.

Thanee

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
By the way, I think the standard draft order is a constant ABCDE, EDCBA, ABCDE, EDCBA until you're all done.

Yep, that's what I had proposed, too, but I think Umbran's idea is better, to order the picks each round after the ability scores picked in the last round from highest to lowest (ties are broken up from last to first going by last round's order). :)

Bye
Thanee

Conaill

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Actually, a more fair approach is to reverse direction only once. I.e. ABCDE, EDCBA, EDCBA, etc... (This order is also frequently suggested for treasure allocation.)

The order proposed by Wulf (and Thanee earlier) would be ok if the stats were distributed uniformly. But with rolled stats, you're going to get a few high outliers (17's or an occasional 18) and a lot more stats in the "middle of the pack". Those few high outliers will typically be snatched up by the first couple of picks, so after the first two round (ABCDE, EDCBA) whomever picked first will - on average - still have somewhat of an edge, so you might as well let E go first again in the 3rd round.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads