• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Design: Primal Drow

Mummolus

First Post
Okay, long story short:

For some time now I've been DMing a Dark Sun campaign. As part of the background, I've established that the belgoi are the setting's version of drow (which they mostly are, given the little backstory we have on them). The party is currently tasked with getting rid of a tribe of belgoi, and found one being held captive and tortured by a group of slavers. They freed him, and in exchange he's agreed to help them for the time being. With his assistance, the party spoke to a belgoi chieftain, who basically told them his tribe will leave the area when they can go "home". That being the case, the party is now searching for a Feywild gate (not so easy on a desert planet).

We have an experienced 4E player joining us for a session soon, but he's not going to become a regular. It seems like the simplest way to include him would be to have him play the belgoi for that session, which will by necessity be combat-heavy. I mentioned the idea to him and he loves it, but he doesn't have time to build the character himself beforehand and asked me to put together something appropriate.

To that end, I've been tinkering with the idea of a tribal drow character. In principle, I'd like it to be a primal or martial class, able to fight reasonably well at melee or short-medium range, without going AEDU ranger. My first thought was to have it grab the Xen'Drik Weapon Training feat, which would give it access to both melee and ranged weapons as well as a damage boost with them. The problem is figuring out what class to go with as a baseline. As I said, primal or martial would be ideal, though if something arcane fits perfectly I'm open to that.

I should probably mention that the party is level 7 right now.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Primal melee or short ranged.

Seeker? I know it's not a fan favorite but that means it's not played often. There is a melee/thrown build in the book.

You could also fluff an Artificer (ranged/melee) as primal instead of arcane, binding spirits to the various effects, etc.

Ability scores don't jive tho.

Last edited:

Mummolus

First Post
The problem with Scouts are multiple: First, they use DEX as primary (and can even use it for melee basic attacks) and drow long knives are heavy thrown, which relies on STR. Second, they benefit most from light blades, and DLK's are heavy. Finally, the power that lets them hit with their offhand weapon once a round when they hit with their melee basic is specifically triggered with DEX. I would atcually very much like to go scout, though, if it's possible to do so.

I'll have to take a look at a seeker.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
There is a feat that allows you to use Dex for heavy thrown weapons. I forget what it's called. You'd have to use an offhand light blade though to get the most advantage out of Scout, or wield an offhand axe for more damage. Or you could use the boomerang for your thrown weapon, though you would need quick draw and/or Master at Arms for the action economy issues.

The boomerang in particular might be worth it for the simple fact that it returns when you throw it, since in Dark Sun, most items are nonmagical and thus don't.

Mummolus

First Post
There is a feat that allows you to use Dex for heavy thrown weapons. I forget what it's called. You'd have to use an offhand light blade though to get the most advantage out of Scout, or wield an offhand axe for more damage. Or you could use the boomerang for your thrown weapon, though you would need quick draw and/or Master at Arms for the action economy issues.

I can't find that feat - are you positive?

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yep:
Martial Power 2 said:
Precision Throw
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Any martial class
Benefit: Whenever you make a ranged basic attack using a thrown weapon with which you have proficiency, you can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack roll and the damage roll.

I'm afraid you're stuck with either a short sword or a handaxe in the offhand though.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I think that the Slayer is good advice. If I was the one doing it I would likely give the character a couple of hand axes, along with a bandoleer of daggers for throwing. Forget the Drow Long Knife. Just because it's there, that doesn't imply that it must always be used. Maybe M/C as Rogue, for some added versatility and feat choices.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads