Character Generation

Rolflyn said:
How do other people handle this?
Core rules only. Certainly to start. If a player wants something particular from outside core rules they are welcome to ask. Though they will already have been informed that SOME things from certain books are strictly denied up front, there's plenty left that if they ask nicely for it will be granted at least once and then denied next time only because it then proves problematic during play. So then it's not WHOLE BOOKS that I the DM need to absorb and deal with, just specific parts like a given prestige class, feat, etc.

And maybe it's just my players being unimaginative and stodgy that they have yet to really want or NEED much outside of core rules to get their game on.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Rolflyn said:
We are starting a new campaign, and the DM wants to keep down the number of books needed without reducing options too much. He wants to avoid cherry-picking from twenty books. One suggestion is to limit characters to the PHB and one suppliment, but that doesn't allow for things like psionic prestige classes from the Races books, and the warlock feats in Complete Mage. So maybe PHB and two suppliments?

Our DM use the below

32 point buy with core only. No other books.

28 point buy with unlocks beginning at 3rd level and getting an additional at every odd level.

25 point buy with 3 unlocks at start and then additional starting at 3rd and gaining more at the odd levels.

22 point buy as above but with an EL 1 character.

Standard array for EL 2 character with as above for 25 point buy.

These unlocks can be used for anything from feats, races, classes, spells and items that aren;t in Core.

This is similar to something the RPGA uses but they allow 1 unlock per level.

nittanytbone

First Post
Or... Just be a DM that uses good judgment.

A Cleric with DMM Persistent Spell has everything he needs from two supplements (and those are just feats).

A druid with Planar Shephard (new PrC) is more uber than a fighter with 20 supplements available.

The number of supplements will not break the game.

Now, I am a fan of reducing pressure on players to buy a ton of books, so will often limit choices to Core + Complete + Races Of... just so that players don't feel like they need access to a ton of books to "keep up."

Diomeneus

First Post
If i DM (which i'm might be coming up) I intend on allowing all the Races books, ECS (if its in Eberron), PHBI and II, and one or two of the Complete's each (ie adventurer and warrior for a fighter or arcane for wizard.

My personal favorites are races of stone, PHBII and complete warrior.

Vuron

First Post
I find that unless the DM is willing to seriously sit down and read all the expansion books to determine what does and does not fit in thier campaign opening the floodgates to additional source material requires that the DM surrender some control to the PCs to determine what fits the game and what is obvious cheese. If your players are mature enough not to optimize to the nth degree then let them use anything that the DM has access to but if not you need to work with them ahead of time and indicate what things from what books are inappropriate.

In general though I find allowing 1 book to 1 player and not to another to be counterproductive as there are generally a handful of good feats and spells in each complete book that are of general usage rather than optimized for that type of character (arcane, adventurer, etc)

Sometimes though less really is more and great games can be had with core + customized PrCs of the DMs own making etc.

Bacris

First Post
My personal viewpoint has always been "anything goes, but I get final say" and my primary DM is the same way. This includes 3rd party material and not just WotC.

If I want to play a wildshifting druid, I can, but I have to have a fully statted char sheet with abilities that the DM can review. The onus is on me to create a character that fits if it's outside the "norms" (core).

So far, it hasn't been a problem. I've created off-the-wall characters (feral tiefling psychic warrior anyone?) that fit in the concept of the game and we always have fun, and I've DM'ed for off-the-wall characters (parapalegic halfling summoner (class from a messageboard)) and as long as you understand what the characters are capable of, it really hasn't been a big deal. :)

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Anything goes from WotC, show me third party stuff first, and have fun! I'll help my wife out on characters, 'cause she's not a munchkin like the rest of us. No one has an unfair advantage if everyone is as wahoo as everyone else. :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Rolflyn said:
We are starting a new campaign, and the DM wants to keep down the number of books needed without reducing options too much. He wants to avoid cherry-picking from twenty books. One suggestion is to limit characters to the PHB and one suppliment, but that doesn't allow for things like psionic prestige classes from the Races books, and the warlock feats in Complete Mage. So maybe PHB and two suppliments?

In our group, DM has final say as to what's allowed in his campaign. I don't automatically accept new rules, including classes, in my game until I thoroughly review it and I'm personally assured it won't disrupt the flow of my game.

Of course, anyone who tries to bring in a PC made up of a CW samurai class in my game must be flogged until he needs an inflated donut to sit down. :]

--cruel and sadistic

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Of course, anyone who tries to bring in a PC made up of a CW samurai class in my game must be flogged until he needs an inflated donut to sit down. :]

I know the class is substandard, but that seems a little extreme! :confused:

Remove ads