Character Generation

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cyberzombie said:
I know the class is substandard, but that seems a little extreme! :confused:
Not according to my group, which is part of our doctrine. :]

Calling it "substandard" is an understatement. It's a gross misrepresentation of all samurai that exist even before Miyamoto Musashi created and introduced the Niten Ryu technique.

Though one could argue that the paladin is not a true representation, but at least he's a champion against evil, not a champion of evil that fights only sword-n-board style.

Last edited:

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Not according to my group, which is part of our doctrine. :]

Calling it "substandard" is an understatement. It's a gross misrepresentation of all samurai that exist even before Miyamoto Musashi created and introduced the Niten Ryu technique.

Though one could argue that the paladin is not a true representation, but at least he's a champion against evil, not a champion of evil that fights only sword-n-board style.
Eh, it didn't seem as bad as the swashbuckler. I was DMing against 20th level characters and gave some giants a bunch of levels in swashbuckler, instead of fighter/rogue, which was my original intent. Man, did those suckers drop quick! Yeek.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cyberzombie said:
Eh, it didn't seem as bad as the swashbuckler. I was DMing against 20th level characters and gave some giants a bunch of levels in swashbuckler, instead of fighter/rogue, which was my original intent. Man, did those suckers drop quick! Yeek.
Giant swashbucklers? Doesn't sit right. They're too dumb and slow to be resourceful on the fly. Besides, there's not enough chandeliers and ropes that can support them when they swing around.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
Giant swashbucklers? Doesn't sit right. They're too dumb and slow to be resourceful on the fly. Besides, there's not enough chandeliers and ropes that can support them when they swing around.
They were on a giant-sized flying ship, so they had plenty to swing on. But the lack of evasion and uncanny dodge made them dead wet meat on a stick.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Cyberzombie said:
They were on a giant-sized flying ship, so they had plenty to swing on. But the lack of evasion and uncanny dodge made them dead wet meat on a stick.
And by stick you mean a sequoia. :p

How do you find a tree enormous enough to be a giant's ship main mast?

Gooba42

First Post
How pervasive is this problem? I only wish I had as much "game time" under my belt as some of you people but it seems like the same problem faced on most MMOs. You have players who play for fun and to succeed and you have players who play to win, even if there isn't a clearly defined "win" condition.

It sounds like a lot of you are DMing for people who are in it to "beat D&D".

Drawmack

First Post
I allow Core + Setting books. I view it this way, the core rules are the game as layed out for everyone who plays. The setting books (which can be homebrew) are what give my game its unique flavor. You do not need anything outside of them. I also have a rule that a character must be offered a PrC in game, they cannot just be taken. This is becuase I rationalize PrCs as specialized training received by affiliation with a society of one sort or another.

For example right now I'm running a Freeport game. The player was allowed to build using PHB and Freeport: City of Adventure only.

While this may seem limiting to people used to free reign with books, I do use it as a two way street. I do not use any other books when building the NPCs either.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I dislike the "one book each". First, it still means lots of books. Second, some things are all over the place. Something I saw posted recently here had the same sort of thing, but a cleric with the right one extra book can find almost everything they need for a strong concept, but a lightly armored fighter has the feats and such he needs scattered around a number of books.

When I DM, I have a set book list at the start of campaign, and we can discuss bringing in new ones. For example, I started with core + complete. Since then, we've added spell compendium. We even talked if the "new completes" (complete mage came out) fell under the "completes" (we are allowing it). Work with the players to prevent cherry picking.

I'm in one campaign where all new books that aren't other campaign (it's FR) or psionic automatically are added. It's a mess.

I applaud wanting to have a managable set of options. I suggest having the same set for everyone.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

Remove ads