D&D General Character named after someone more famous.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm something of a forever DM but in my very first campaign 25 years ago one of my players named all his characters based on backwards spelled hockey Players. Eric Lindros became Cire Sordlin the blademaster.
I was in a game once where the DM named many of the NPCs after hockey players, mostly on the Canucks circa 1992 or so.

Ondath

Hero
As a newbie DM, I shameless stole names from other media properties for my NPC's. The result is that now there's a well-established Archmage named Severus Antonidas who was a PC's mentor. I felt a bit ashamed for the corniness of the name for a while, but then discovered Warhammer 40K officially has a character named Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau, and I feel a lot better about my choice now.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
A diviner cleric named Bruno (no, we don't talk about this char).

A paladin of Tyr that is Sir Tick, brave, bold, incredibly prone to nonsense talks. Of course, his squire is named Arthur.

A elf bard named Danny. He is Danny Elfman. Hold Person must be cast singing "Stay, don't you go"

I usually get hit by the reverse.

I came up with the name "Theon" by myself in like 1991, and it had basically become my default fantasy character name. So it was with rising horror that I read A Game of Thrones in about 2000 or so, then sequels, and realized this guy was 100% going to ruin the name Theon forever.

More recently I came up with Agadir as a name for a major NPC villain, then like 3 days before the session he was in, Morocco launched a big "Visit Agadir!" campaign on the tube here, so my players found this hilarious.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
My first PC, in 1981, was a paladin named Albion after the giant son of Neptune. Funnily, I was copying my older brother's PC who was a paladin named Allanon who was of course named after the Shannara character.

Eta: More recently, I created a character to playtest my conversion of the timelord class from Dragon magazine. I named him Dr. Rotcodeth, which is "The Doctor" pronounced backwards.

Last edited:

Does naming your character after a famous D&D character count?

If so, I currently have Black Leaf active in play, named after the character in the "Dark Dungeons" Chick tract.
I had a Shadowrun elven street samurai named Armani Blackleaf. He talked in the third person, mostly so I could have an excuse to say "No, not Blackleaf!"

When I was a young kid, lots of people borrowed names. I had a fighter named Beowulf. Someone else had an Elric (and kept bugging me that he really should have Stormbringer).

Remove ads