• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Submission Thread

grtrtle

First Post
new character (1st) for Living Pathfinder

Hi. I have drafted a new character (Wilmorn Fiedlerson - Human Ranger 1). Please let me know if I need to change anything and what I need to do next to join Living Pathfinder. Thanks!

Sincerely,
grtrtle

GlassEye

Adventurer
Well, You're here so you've joined us! Welcome. :) As soon as one of the judges finds the time they will look over your character and make sure everything conforms to the rules and our minor variations. In the meantime feel free to have your character go into the Dunn Wright Inn for a little pre-game roleplaying. As a warning, your character is the only 1st level PC unattached to a game right now so you might have a little wait before there are enough characters for a game.

grtrtle

First Post
Thank you! Wilmorn has settled into a seat for now over at the Dunn Wright Inn. Hopefully the visit won't drain the last of his coins before something shows up.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Drinks are to drain the barrels, not the coin purse. They are free, just claim you pay a few coins and that is all. OH, and welcome to enworld!

Aura

Explorer
Welcome to LPF, grtrtle. I was just going to start working up the notes on your review I made earlier and I see Satin Knights is already cleaning up some math stuff on your character (got the first one I noticed, the FF AC). I'll let him do his stuff so we aren't simo-editing.

Update:

Reviewing Wilmorn Fiedlerson
Looks like a good, solid character. Polearm is a somewhat atypical weapon for a ranger to pick, but nothing wrong with it. Few mechanical mistakes lets us get to the other stuff right off:

Mechanics:
- In addition to making Acrobatics a class skill, the Capable trait gives Wilmorn a +1 in it, bumping it up to 7.

Formatting:
- You may want to format Power Attack as a general modifier in the Combat Section rather than specific modifications to individual weapons. This becomes more an issue later on when you start having many possible combinations of maneuvers and modifiers. Whatever is more to your tastes, however.

Background:
- It's a little unclear where Wilmorn is from, since it just mentions 'town'. Are you saying Venza itself, or a smaller community outside town?
- Wilmorn's sister had a run-in with a local 'lord', and the above answer will be important is determining who this might be… or at least, what kind of person.

General Notes. Everything else looks good, just a few passing thoughts:
- History is a little scant but workable. The work on people in his life helps develop his history.
- Wilmorn is fairly mechanically similar to Robert Kronbark. I only mention it because some people feel disappointed if they find out something like this after the fact. Robert is 3 levels ahead of you so you shouldn't run into him anywhere but the DWI.

The Acrobatics issue is easily fixable (I'll get him when I do the approval) and the rest is just for you to think about. If you wish to make further modifications or develop certain areas, feel free to do so.

STAMP! Wilmorn has his first APPROVAL.

PS: Changed artwork for Adventures page to his artwork, added him to DWI location, and listed his first appearance in the DWI.

Last edited:

Satin Knights

First Post
One more thing I noticed, we have a house rule that gives him one more language.

Other than that, looks good. He has his second APPROVAL and is ready for a game.

It may be a while before a new game forms, but since we are at the beginning of the school year, we generally get a little more interest this month. So, it may not be that long of a wait.

-SK

grtrtle

First Post
Thanks. I wanted to be careful with details until I know more of the world, but the background was designed to give (at least) two possible directions:

1) The Fiedlerson family has gotten themselves on the blacklist of a minor lord, who has exerted sufficient influence to keep the Fiedlerson family in the dirt. What I like about this approach is that it keeps Wilmorn classically heroic, and creates tantalizing questions as to why Ranger Martin couldn't directly or more overtly step in to address the situation.

2) The Fiedlerson family in fact lives down to the reputation, a fact Wilmorn is (currently) unable to accept. This makes Ranger Martin's insertion into his life a little less obvious. That in itself is tantalizing in a different way.

I had thought for the small community to be driven by the heavily wooded areas I saw on the map, with a sawmill near some flowing water driving the economy of the town. After reading more, I think something just a little off the Silver Road would be good, since they can move the wood along the road. Key influences on the town would be exerted by the head of the mill or even a factor with interest in the production of the logging and prepping of the lumber, as well as the minor lord and his son.

The bonus language can either be picked up based on the location of the home town or from the travels with Martin. I'll revisit the maps and see if I'm inspired into a choice.

PS The combat style I envisioned for Wilmorn, as taught by Ranger Martin, called for a reach weapon to cover the enemy approach. I thought about a ranseur instead for its piercing style, which may work better in the woods than a slashing weapon like a bardiche. But, in the end I went with the bardiche for the slashing to complement the morningstar (B/P).

Last edited:

Aura

Explorer
No worries. Just let us know and update your sheet to reflect the town. The most obvious regional languages for the area you're talking about are Middle and High Landellian.

Common is Low Landellian, BTW.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
non judge review

Background: Half open? Is this to say some details you would prefer to have some things to not be used by anyone? if so you may want to state what you do not want to be 'open use'.

suggestion: For some fun facts, you might want to elaborate how he was known as the hunter in the gladiatorial fights.

duel talent: nice choice! that gives a nice CMD I see.

Reflex save: I am thinking it is a slight math oversight, but I do not see a +6. I see +5 from dex and a +0 from fighter level 1. that will need to be fixed

Suggestion: on your longbow attack, I suggest you have normal attack [without deadly aim attack penalty/damage bonus] and one with. Deadly aim is not always on, but chosen at the beginning of a round.

Traits: Exile - is this the Rise of the runelord's Outlander Exile trait? I am pretty certain that those are disallowed. May the judges correct me, but named campain traits were disallowed due to lack of permission by piazo, or just simply trying to stay as far away from copywrited/ non OGC material.

Skills: It is really good to do as you have done with your ACP regarding the reduction of the penalty by the trait. It makes it easier for the judges to track this information! on their behalf, thank you!

the carried weight was off by 5 lbs, corrected.

until the trait is resolved, I am stamping this as non-judge review, but not approved. Sorry

Scott DeWar

Remove ads