Character Submission Thread

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Thanks again!
- Added Spear as melee weapon (note usable with the shield you have listed)
That actually brings up two issues I wasn't 100% certain on. In 3.5, a buckler was always providing its AC bonus except when you're using your hand for something else, but unlike other shields it did leave your hand free for spells or 2H weapons or whatever. (or at least that's how we understood the rules) Thus:

• Combat starts. Nothing in hand, so I have a +1 shield bonus to AC
  • My turn. I draw a Spear and ready an action to throw it when an enemy moves close enough. I lose my shield bonus
  • Enemy turn. Goblins move closer. I throw my spear. I get my shield bonus back.
Is that not how things work in PF? I should maybe choose a more traditional, held-in-one-hand (when not reloading) ranged weapon in that case, and leave spears to the barbarians and other "real" orcs. ;)

My other question... crap, I forgot it. I think I just basically wanted to verify that Spears can be my ranged weapon option. Or something like that.

Edit: Are there any retraining rules for when you make a bad choice?

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Actually there are. I believe you are allowed one re-work to change a feat or some other "opps". But you only get the one chance.

While I have been character checking I though tot do the last 1st lvl charcter needing an approval.

Feran(mazzoli) has one approval and I could give him his finally but for one thing.

Under traits you have

Child of the Temple (Religion):
+1 Knowledge(Nobility) and Knowledge(Religion)
Knowledge(Nobility) is always a class skill.

But under Skills you have a rank in Religion and the +3 CS listed for it. Not sure which of these is correct.

Also a courtier's outfit cost 30gp so changed that and I added Flurry of Blows to weapons stats. You listed using your staff as a double weapon but I think the Flurry is the better use of the two.

HM

Qik

First Post
Actually there are. I believe you are allowed one re-work to change a feat or some other "opps". But you only get the one chance.

While I have been character checking I though tot do the last 1st lvl charcter needing an approval.

Feran(mazzoli) has one approval and I could give him his finally but for one thing.

Under traits you have

Child of the Temple (Religion):
+1 Knowledge(Nobility) and Knowledge(Religion)
Knowledge(Nobility) is always a class skill.

But under Skills you have a rank in Religion and the +3 CS listed for it. Not sure which of these is correct.

Also a courtier's outfit cost 30gp so changed that and I added Flurry of Blows to weapons stats. You listed using your staff as a double weapon but I think the Flurry is the better use of the two.

HM

I had already reviewed Feran for his second approval a few weeks ago, as did jkason. [MENTION=6687941]mazzoli[/MENTION] should refer to both of our posts, but the dealbreaker in there for me was that monk's must be of lawful alignment, of which Feran is not. That still needs to be changed before Feran can be approved.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Does James Jacobs' gaining of Versatile Performance count against your once only ever "oops"? Should I take no social skills for now and hold out for later gaining them via Perform at later levels?

If so, I need to change my skills around, but otherwise I think Bipper's ready to be submitted.

Qik

First Post
Personally, I don't like the idea of allowing a Bard to readjust skill ranks once Versatile Performance comes on board. A Zen Archer can't readjust Dex to Wis to make life easier before level 3, nor can a non-human, non-fighter PC focusing on Dervish Dance shift Str to Dex, etc. So I would be inclined to say no to allowing such a shift for a Bard, even though admittedly I don't think it would break the game to do so. Dealing with the limbo that exists before a class' abilities come on board is just a part of the game, and I wouldn't feel comfortable alleviating that discomfort for some classes and not others.

Just my 2 cents, though; others may feel differently.

Edit: Which is to say that my opinion is yes, if you don't want to end up with dead skill ranks, you shouldn't put those ranks into skills which will be replaced by Versatile Performance at level 2.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Personally, I don't like the idea of allowing a Bard to readjust skill ranks once Versatile Performance comes on board. A Zen Archer can't readjust Dex to Wis to make life easier before level 3, nor can a non-human, non-fighter PC focusing on Dervish Dance shift Str to Dex, etc. So I would be inclined to say no to allowing such a shift for a Bard, even though admittedly I don't think it would break the game to do so. Dealing with the limbo that exists before a class' abilities come on board is just a part of the game, and I wouldn't feel comfortable alleviating that discomfort for some classes and not others.

Just my 2 cents, though; others may feel differently.

Edit: Which is to say that my opinion is yes, if you don't want to end up with dead skill ranks, you shouldn't put those ranks into skills which will be replaced by Versatile Performance at level 2.

This.

And the "retraining" was never meant for such a calculated purpose - it was meant to allow a player to make adjustments to his character when things don't work out in play as it looks like they would on paper.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Aight, that frees me up to take Daredevil or Archaeologist - I was loath to lose Versatile Performance, but now I'm eager to replace it with something simpler.

Time to spend a few more hours messing with numbers, haha

dammitbiscuit

First Post
That covers 50% of the important social skills now and 50% later, if I choose the correct pair of perform skills for versatile performance (instead of ones that suit my character) that don't overlap or give a useless skill like Handle Animal or Fly.

So I'm either waiting til 6th level to get 1 or 2 more, or I'm taking them now and getting them again for free later, resulting in wasted skill points, in which case, why bother? Grab something that's actually free instead of gives the illusion of being free.

Wish they'd gone with the lazy option he mentioned of simply giving Bards 8 skills per level instead of this clumsy mechanic that sorta gives you 2 or 3 free skills, eventually, if you plan very carefully for it and partially gimp yourself in the meantime. Or that his suggestions of how to adjudicate it painlessly had gone into a rulebook instead of the Paizo forums.

Qik

First Post
I think you can drive yourself crazy hoping that James Jacobs' interpretation of the rules becomes law. :) He spent a year or two on the boards saying that Vital Strike could be combined with Spring Attack, only to have an official ruling come out saying the opposite. And that's a way bigger drag than the bard issue, because that ruling severely crippled a whole style of combat (skirmishing).

Remove ads