• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Charles Ryan on Adventures

Crothian said:
What's wrong with Wizards people thinking they do work better then anyone else? Heck, at my work I fgel I do a better job then my co workers. It's a bit arrogant of me, but confidence in one's ability is not a bad thing.

Yeah, but would your coworkers be pleased if you said "I do a better job than anyone else" out loud where they can hear you?

Patrick Y.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Uder said:
Fixed it for you.

Actually in this one instance I feel that Paizo does have a measurably superior product. I lost interest in WLD when they were explaining what classes not to allow, what abilities would not work (including Bardic Lore) and other artificial ways of limiting the characters. Yechhh!

The Auld Grump

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Arcane Runes Press said:
Yeah, but would your coworkers be pleased if you said "I do a better job than anyone else" out loud where they can hear you?

He's not doing that. He's saying loudly to his coworkers - "we do a better job than those other guys" who don't work there, and hence are not co-workers. You may work in the same industry - but you're not a co-worker to the WoTC guys. Nor should they consider you as such. And especially, nor should you.

EDIT: Looking back, it was Crothian that made the poor analogy, not you... Point still applies, mostly.

Crothian

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Well, apart from the fact that they might not actually believe that (i.e., it's quite possibly spin/propaganda), and the (debatable) fact that it's just plain wrong at least some of the time, how about plain ol' daft arrogance?

And what's wrong with arrogance? I also think that there is no single product they have put out in the past year or so that is universally seen as inferior to something else on the same topic. It would be very easy to argue they have the best books.

Crothian

First Post
Arcane Runes Press said:

Patrick Y.

Of course not, but I can back it up as can Wizards. This isn't Crothian's Little book company claiming they are the best in the business, This is the biggest RPG company claiming they are the best. Right or wrong, they can back it up.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mercule said:
I'm quite certain there are third party products out there that put WotC to shame.
I have found this to be so, and I'm not the only one. Incidentally though, I do own and use some WotC books, as do many of the people who share this view.

Mercule said:
The vast majority are crap, though.
I wonder how you reach that conclusion, given that you
own only one non-WotC book, and [...] don't use it.

Mercule said:
IMO, it's better to stick with what I know is likely to be middle-high quality and rely on my ability as a GM to make the difference than to sort through all the dross to get to the gold.
Fair enough. Each to their own.

Crothian

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
He's not doing that. He's saying loudly to his coworkers - "we do a better job than those other guys" who don't work there, and hence are not co-workers. You may work in the same industry - but you're not a co-worker to the WoTC guys. Nor should they consider you as such. And especially, nor should you.

EDIT: Looking back, it was Crothian that made the poor analogy, not you... Point still applies, mostly.

Yep, my bad. Not a perfect anology but I think the basics still works.

Crothian

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
And just as easy to refute it.

Right, so nothing wrong with making the claim since they can back it up, people can refrute it, and we have discussion. Just because a point can be argued doesn't make either side wrong. Wizards can make thier claims, the other guys can make theirs.....

Aus_Snow

First Post
Crothian said:
they can back it up
No, I don't think so.

No more than McDonalds can 'back up' saying that they make the 'best' breakfasts, or whatever it is they say.

And no, I'm not trying to say those companies are similar at all. But hopefully this illustrates the point well enough.

Remove ads