Check Out Nerdist's Preview of the Drizzt "Timeless" Book Cover!

Remember that new Drizzt trilogy which appeared in online bookstore listings last week? Nerdist has got a preview of the cover of Timeless, the first in the trilogy!

Remember that new Drizzt trilogy which appeared in online bookstore listings last week? Nerdist has got a preview of the cover of Timeless, the first in the trilogy!

Timeless-Cover-768x1160.jpg

Image from Nerdist.com

gyor

Legend
I'm really tired of all the Drizz't hate. It's almost become a meme at this point and something to do just because it's cool to do so. Aside from that... I really hope that Paul S. Kemp brings us some more Erevis Cale novels!

Yes my top question is, is this just R.A. Salvatore or will there be other authors like Kemp, Greenwood, Evans, Denning, Odom, ect...?

PMárk

Explorer
More Realms novels are cool. But I liked the idea of Drizzt just retiring and getting his happy ending.

He's still a fairly young elf... He's what, 150-160 years old?

Also, Hero left too much possibilities and cliffhangers dangling in the wind. I didn't get the feeling of a closure from that book, which left the seemingly ending of the series with an especially sour taste.

The Drizzt haters are more annoying then the Drizzt fanboys at this point.

Yup. We get it, Drizzt clones were an annoying meme at one point in the past. Get over it. The character and the books are okay. Not stellar literature and varried in quality, but overall, enjoyable. I won't even call Drizzt a Marty Sue he's got his buttock handed to him plenty of times. He's ran away plenty of times, got rescued by friends plenty of times, etc. Yes, at this point, he's one of the best fighters of Faerün, but that's all.

My problem with Drizzt and the Drizzt books in general, is that the signature character at this point is more like an excuse, or a meme of itself. He has fairly few dialogues, active plot pursuing, or other stuff. He just waltzes in, slices things up and waltzes out, while the characters who are actually making things happen are the minor ones and the antagonists. Drizzt books are just not about Drizzt anymore. Also, RAS seems to be tired of the character, or out of ideas, because I've seen very little, or no personality advancement, or changes for a long time. I'm reading the books at this point a lot more because of Jarlaxle, Entreri and the others. Even Yvonnel was a fairly interesting character in the last books.

Actually, all of the critiques above were considerably less so in Hero, the last book. Also, I think it got the worst under the 4e era books, so it might be connected to how upset RAS was, regarding the time-jump and all that.

Actually, all of the critiques above were considerably less so in Hero, the last book. Also, I think it got the worst under the 4e era books, so it might be connected to how upset RAS was, regarding the time-jump and all that.

Other than the people who designed it, is there anyone who wasn't upset at the time jump for the setting?

Other than the people who designed it, is there anyone who wasn't upset at the time jump for the setting?

Some people liked the idea of a fresh start where they could do what they wanted with the realms without infringing on canon.

Personally, I still run 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition era, and sometimes even further back so I'm not part of that camp... but there was an interest in such a realms.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I found it a little jarring at first but otherwise I though 4e realms was quite interesting as a setting. It had a lot of cool ideas some of which I believe survived the sundering that put things "back to normal".

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

Remove ads