• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Check Out Planescape's Table of Contents & More!

A gallery of photos of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse!

Brandes Stoddard has received a copy of Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse (which come out in two weeks!) and is posting loads of photos over on Blue Sky. You can check out his feed for the whole treasure trove--here's a look at the table of contents.

1.jpg
2.jpeg

Where? The 2 whole pages on the Outlands? The 2 pages covering EIGHTEEN realms? Ahh, I bet you're including the gate towns which are 1) on the "edge" and are far more the planes they border than the Outlands, but no, those are not information on the Outlands(the plane).
You're moving the goalposts here faster than the average Ribcage slides into Avernus.

The Gate Towns are part of the Outlands. They are so in this book, and always have been since their inception in the original boxed set. Attempting some sophistry to claim they're not flies in the face of the setting's history.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You do realize that people (like myself) were able to play full Planescape campaigns with just that set - we didn't wait until further supplemental material was released (and at that time, we had no way of knowing that further material would be released). If that was possible then, then that's just as possible now.
I mean, you say here you played during 2e, but somehow didn't notice that we got additional boxed sets and/or books for all of the settings outside of the one off historical settings. Even Birthright got a ton. I knew we would be getting more, because that's what 2e did.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure, TSR pushed out a bunch of box sets...but even people who played Planescape were only likely to have bought the first one. That's a bignpart of the problem with that 2E approach, TSR acted like people would stay on board for a whole product line, but...they won't.

This set is giving enough information to run a full Planescape Campaign along with the Core rulebooks. That's the brief.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Yeah. The 2e sets really did ignore the Outlands, though we have more information than 5e gave. I always wanted 2e to give more on the Outlands, because it seemed like the perfect starter area for lower level adventurers.
On that subject, i suspect it is pretty likely that at least some areas of the Outlands will get additional information in the module itself. Have we seen a ToC for the adventure yet? There may also be embedded setting info in the monster lore.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You're moving the goalposts here faster than the average Ribcage slides into Avernus.
I mean, if saying what I've been saying since my first few posts in this thread is moving the goalposts, perhaps moving the goalposts doesn't actually involve any movement. :unsure:
The Gate Towns are part of the Outlands. They are so in this book, and always have been since their inception in the original boxed set.
And of course we all know that technically is the best kind of correct!!! Me, I prefer actuality, and in actuality the gate towns are and always have been more the border plane than the Outlands. That's why the continually fall into the neighboring plane and a new town has to appear.
Attempting some sophistry to claim they're not flies in the face of the setting's history.
The only sophistry here is yours in ignoring the history your saying flies in the fast of the history. This is from the 2e set.

"Automata: Character. As a tiny reflection of nearby Mechanus, there's a rule for everything here, and gods help the berk who ain't learned
them all!"

"Bedlam: Character. Not really a town, but an asylum let loose - that's what this place is. The chant is the town's mad, that the barmies have seized the keys, but what's a soul to expect from a place that's hard on the gates of Pandemonium?"

The rest are similar. You are the only one ignoring history here and trying to say the towns were other than mostly a reflection of a plane other than the outlands.

Sure, TSR pushed out a bunch of box sets...but even people who played Planescape were only likely to have bought the first one. That's a bignpart of the problem with that 2E approach, TSR acted like people would stay on board for a whole product line, but...they won't.

This set is giving enough information to run a full Planescape Campaign along with the Core rulebooks. That's the brief.
In fairness, I was a huge fan of Planescape in the 90s, and for boxed sets I only had the core one and Planes of Law, because those were the only two I could find. These things didn’t have voluminous print runs, and this was before Amazon.

Dried

Explorer
In fairness, I was a huge fan of Planescape in the 90s, and for boxed sets I only had the core one and Planes of Law, because those were the only two I could find. These things didn’t have voluminous print runs, and this was before Amazon.
In France we only got the core one (which was already difficult to find), an adventure and the first monstrous compendium (these last two I never saw with my own eyes)...

Wait. Someone wants to compare a single book set to an entire series of setting supplements and boxed sets?

That’s a recipe for disappointment. This release could be three times the size and fail that mark.

It also allows a very easy out to complain without having to be accountable. Unless the book here is 1000+ pages, there's always something that has been left out, and thus, to complain about. This set gives us what we got in the original 2e set and then some (we're going to have more information on many of the Gate Towns), but because it doesn't have X, it's incomplete and WotC is cheating us. But if it did have X, because it didn't have Y, WotC is cheating us. And so on, ad infintum, ad nauseum.

Remove ads

Remove ads