• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chicago Gameday XXIII is July 18th: SIGN UP!

buzz

Adventurer
The characters are officially done for my event, I think. I'm pretty pleased with my weak efforts at photoshopping the character portraits, so now I just need to find some way of printing from DDI that doesn't involve my inkjet printer at home.
Trev, do you need these in color? I could print them out at work if need be. Or if you don't need color, I have a B&W laser at home and toner to spare. :)

Do you have the ability to print to PDFs? I know there are open-source solutions for that on Windoze.

buzz, I feel guilty for even thinking of taking you up on that offer! If you're willing, however, to print in color at the office, and won't get in trouble for doing so, I'd happily take you up on it. Keep in mind though that for a 19th level party, each sheet is about 6 pages. So that'd be 30-ish pages.

Let me know--I was planning on heading to Kinko's / fedex whatever it's called now tomorrow with a flash drive full of PDFs.

As a related aside, I spent way too much time scouring the internet and messing with DDI stuff today. This thread gets to hear my rant because no one ever reads the software forums and I have a captive audience here.

[sblock]
I run the character builder in virtual windows machines: an XP machine running in Parallels on my iMac, and recently, a copy running in a Windows 7 RC (nifty OS, so far) in VMWare on my MacBook. Things were going fine until I was almost done with everything early this morning. (I resolved to stay up until the characters were done)

So all the characters are as perfect as they're gonna get, and I'm sending them to print via CutePDF so I can either take them to Kinkos or just print from an environment where I don't have to worry about hunting down the right drivers. 4 out of the 6 characters print perfect PDF files. Then the warlock and the wizard are next--I print, and things look great until I look at the finished product: page one is good...two too...oh what the? The power cards were shifted about two inches up and two inches left, so that most of the cards on the sheet were off the page. Why? I have no idea.

This begins a hunt to try and download the July 7 update, which, for whatever reason won't work in the windows 7 vm--the builder launches with no update check at the beginning, and opening the updater exe files does nothing but crash the updater. I eventually give up on this and go to bed.

This morning, I try to put the characters into the XP character builder, which I hadn't updated in a few months. Looks like they changed the format. Whoops. Oh, well let's just update, since I at least appear to have the option to with it running in XP. Nope. Thing won't upate--freezes 1/10 of the way into the download of the update, and then I get continuous "sorry, our servers are down, thanks for your patience!" errors.

Multiple hours later, (I guess my google-fu is weak?) I found a forum post on gleemax that referenced a similar problem, and included a link to the wotc support site. Problem solved, characters printed to PDF.
[/sblock]

Okay. The rant's over, I promise. Let me know, buzz!

Last edited:

Gwen110

Explorer
hello again

I won't be able to make the morning game after all, but I will be at the Hackmaster game I signed up for. and no, I probably won't be creating my character beforehand.

Gwen

buzz

Adventurer
Okay. The rant's over, I promise. Let me know, buzz!
If you haven't already printed them, send the files my way. You can either email them to me (addy in first post), or post them here.

And, yes, I do indeed know the woes of Character Builder under Windoze running in Parallels. WotC needs to get Mac-savvy already.

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
I hate to do this but I am going to have to cancel my afternoon HackMaster Basic game. I have a terrible eye infection that is spreading to both eyes. I can hardly see now and it probably will get worse. I also don't want to expose anyone to my grunge.

Please accept my deepest apologies.

buzz

Adventurer
I hate to do this but I am going to have to cancel my afternoon HackMaster Basic game. I have a terrible eye infection that is spreading to both eyes. I can hardly see now and it probably will get worse. I also don't want to expose anyone to my grunge.

Please accept my deepest apologies.
Sorry to hear about that, Anthony. :( Get better!

Canceling that event affects the following people:
1. Dokomo
2. gperez1234
3. waterdhavian
4. jesusfreak444
5. Painfully
6. Gwen110

Unfortunately, we only have one more open seat in the afternoon. If some kind soul would like to pinch-hit and run a 5-6 seat event in the afternoon, it would be appreciated.

Remove ads