City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Quarion
"Mi taurë, avá sánanarmo ai nienalle. Nauva roitaro ar mac'ro lle, nén ar ilqua. Mi taurë, eressë voritulca. Nan ávamin mi taurë sinarë."

Troi shakes his head, and smiles slightly. "Entassë ná lúmë an ilya'engwë. Mára nier sí mi nómë arwa or i carmë."

Elven Translation:
There is a time for everything. Better tears now than on the job.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Pendrake is a little buzzed by the strong drink after being at sea with the watered down stuff, but as the conversation becomes more philisoficl and deep it aslo turns heated. Due to the lack of language skills he loses a lot in translation, and his head begins to spin. Wheather from the strong ale or the conversation he is not sure...so he sits back, slouches a little and tries to remain invisible.

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos frowns.

"Is it a function of the elven tongue that people feel compelled to speak it in the presence of those who can't understand it?" he says. "I spent much of my childhood thinking I just had a secretive caregiver; perhaps such public lack of common courtesy is required to learn elven."

[sblock=OOC]FYI, this is just color from Eanos' character background: he bristles whenever he hears an exchange in elven. ;) [/sblock]

NakuruSai

First Post
Quarion said:
He stands and addresses Mordik. "Dwarf, I have been rude. I am Quarion Holimion, a druid of the forest as you suggested. I apologize for my harsh words, they were unwarranted. I spoke of having no honor, not realizing that in saying it, I had no honor myself. Forgive me, Mordik." He bows deeply.

I got no quarrel wi' ye. I'm here to find a job- jus' like all o'us at Red Dragon. Mordik shrugs. Mebbe I talked ou'a turn. Jus' make sure you un'erstan' what Troi was sayin' 'bout strengths and whatnot. Mordik nods, thinking his point made, taking a swig of ale.

Eanos said:
"Is it a function of the elven tongue that people feel compelled to speak it in the presence of those who can't understand it?"
Mordik chuckles heartily at this comment. Whispering at the table so others couln' hear would ha' me fingers slapped when I wa' but a lad. Still didn' stop me from doin' it!

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Quarion Holimion, Elven Druid

Quarion shakes his head, "It seems that this night, words cannot leave my lips that do not offend. I apologize, Eanos. You have asked me in the past not to speak Elven, and I have broken my promise. Troi and I were commenting on the significance of emotions and the appropriate times to display them. We came to the consensus that it is better to shed tears now, in good company, than to shed them in front of an enemy." The elf does not stand up from his seat for this apology, but he nods apologetically in Eanos' direction. "Monk, I believe I promised to teach you some Elven on the road as well. This one is for Mordik: Éd i'ëar ar elenea, enyalalye sinae tarsarea ar suclye, by the sea and stars, let us forget these troubles and drink!" With that, he drinks deeply from his goblet.

NakuruSai

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
"Monk, I believe I promised to teach you some Elven on the road as well. This one is for Mordik: Éd i'ëar ar elenea, enyalalye sinae tarsarea ar suclye, by the sea and stars, let us forget these troubles and drink!" With that, he drinks deeply from his goblet.
With so much accent as to be almost un-intelligible, Mordik parrots back the phrase the best he can, it's almost painful how badly he "spoke" elvish, if you really could even call it that. He takes another drink and smiles broadly, which reminds you again of the scar and makes you think of the battle which cracked his front teeth...he must have been hit in the face with an axe...

[sblock=OOC languages]Do you guys have an online translator for Elvish/Dwarven/etc or just a dictionary or making it up or what? I'd love to have that resource if it's sharable.
Thanks Knight Otu!
Thanks Rystil Arden!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
NakuruSai said:
[sblock=OOC languages]Do you guys have an online translator for Elvish/Dwarven/etc or just a dictionary or making it up or what? I'd love to have that resource if it's sharable.[/sblock]
(I believe they are using Quenya or Sindarin.)

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Eanos
"Is it a function of the elven tongue that people feel compelled to speak it in the presence of those who can't understand it? I spent much of my childhood thinking I just had a secretive caregiver; perhaps such public lack of common courtesy is required to learn elven."

Troi raises an eyebrow, and shakes his head. "I's not my fault if ya can't unnerstan' th' language. As fer usin' it now, sometimes ya wanna have a conversation in private wi'out havin' ta go somewhere, y'know?"

[sblock=OoC]Yep, I'm using Quenya, and my conjugation is probably horrible. I'm just using an English-Quenya dictionary and using a set of Quenya lessons for getting grammar. I go here for finding text.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
as he is still learning the language of the southern clans here, the northerer warrior sits listening with out comprehending. the sailors he was with used many languages and it neer offended him so he just sits and raises his mug for a toast every time someone raises their mugs...reguardless of what is beng said...after all thye may be toasting to the heoric antics of fallen comrads, and that is always a good thing to toast to.

"Skol!" says pendrake to each raising of a glass or mug. it is apperent that he is taking smaller sips seemingly to prevent premature innebreation.

(OOC: in another rpg pbp sight i frequent they use this sight:

http://www.coveworld.net/eberron/aerenal_translator.html)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads