City of the Spider Queen (mini-campaign)

Malachei

First Post
@ perrinmiller: what I meant regarding the balance was not so different from what you described. But my main issue is with roleplaying. A play-by-post is a long-term commitment. It should be fun and I should be impatiently awaiting the next post. Currently, it is more of a burden. The mechanical issues do not help to counterbalance, of course.

Malachei

First Post
It was not my intention to cause this game to stop.

I said I'm not happy with the way it has developed, and that I might want to find a good exit for my character (unless we find a way to change things, in which case I'd be happy to stay).

But I'm not jumping the ship when it is not in the harbor. In the interest of those who wish to continue, let us finish the encounter and then find a solution.

@ HM: I agree that this game has a hard time working as play-by-post. Nonetheless, it is possible to make it work, IMO, but it takes more effort from everybody involved (including you).

I liked the picture a lot, and it could have served as a great starting point for roleplaying and teambuilding.

I think the first issue for me is that, from what I have seen, there are only two people with a roleplaying focus. These will be disappointed even if combat is balanced. The way we entered the adventure felt rushed to me.

The second issue is the party balance. That can be helped in many ways.

I'm not sure whether I want to play this in the long run, but IMO, we should at least finish the encounter.

jkason

First Post
I think the first issue for me is that, from what I have seen, there are only two people with a roleplaying focus. These will be disappointed even if combat is balanced. The way we entered the adventure felt rushed to me.

I'll apologize here for not really pulling my weight. I usually try to do a fair amout of character-building. I think some of it is my general inexperience with mid-level play. I think the highest level character I've managed prior to this was around 5th level, and I'd built him up over a long game rather than building him from scratch, so I knew who he was and what he could do fairly well. Probably doesn't help that not only is this a more advanced level, but I chose a class with which I wasn't especially familiar. So I find myself suffering from a lot of option overload, and I'm often digging around my sheet and sources to figure out what Talhia can or can't do and then wind up rushing together a crunchy post rather than putting effort into the prose.

Malachei

First Post
I'll apologize here for not really pulling my weight. I usually try to do a fair amout of character-building. I think some of it is my general inexperience with mid-level play. I think the highest level character I've managed prior to this was around 5th level, and I'd built him up over a long game rather than building him from scratch, so I knew who he was and what he could do fairly well. Probably doesn't help that not only is this a more advanced level, but I chose a class with which I wasn't especially familiar. So I find myself suffering from a lot of option overload, and I'm often digging around my sheet and sources to figure out what Talhia can or can't do and then wind up rushing together a crunchy post rather than putting effort into the prose.

Actually, this was not meant as criticism -- some people's focus is just different. Playing for the crunch is perfectly fine, and most real life gaming groups have a healthy mix of players. It is just that with dungeon crawling crunch only, I am missing something.

Regarding your character, yes, spontaneous casters with full spell list access require a lot of knowledge. I perfectly understand that you spend some time just evaluating your options. Although at high levels, there are some advantages to the beguiler: I'm playing a high-level killer gnome beguiler, and I loved not having to select a spell list in the character development process. I'm currently building a wizard at caster level 19 (or, to be exact, an arcane dweomerkeeper), and it takes a lot of time to create the spell book.

Vertexx69

First Post
Woof high level casters can get super complicated, kudos for undertaking it. I played an epic level cleric once and it was insane. But wizards do get amazingly deadly after lvl 1o or so with just a couple of the right items. I am a fan of the metamagic staff of maximize with the empowered spellshard to do 90+ dmg with fire balls :p

Malachei

First Post
Woof high level casters can get super complicated, kudos for undertaking it. I played an epic level cleric once and it was insane. But wizards do get amazingly deadly after lvl 1o or so with just a couple of the right items. I am a fan of the metamagic staff of maximize with the empowered spellshard to do 90+ dmg with fire balls :p

Well, I've played a MU to level 36 and a wizard well into epic levels, so I feel right at home. However, creating them from scratch is a lot of work in a small amount of time.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
So where do we go from here. No clue I am running the game and it is up for you all as a group to decide if you wish to continue as is or if it would be better for a change.

Ball's in the groups court I will continue to run the game for those who wish to play. But please don't keep things the same if you aren't having fun, that isn't what I want.
We so far only a few people have commented about things since HM posted this. If I were to retcon my character to match my gear, I might continue. But HM did not answer my PM, so I am not sure if that will be allowed. Perhaps he is waiting to see what comes out of this discussion.

But with Malachei probably not changing his mind, and only two others even deigning to chime in, I don't think the player interaction or speed of progress is going to match my interest in the long run. It's a long campaign and we have only managed to make it though a few rooms and 3 encounters after over 3 months. At that pace we will be a half a year RL before things would get interesting.

I am finding that I prefer PF anyway and higher level games are difficult and more time consuming for all involved if you try to start there. Without good chemistry to develop character interaction and banter, this game will pretty much stall out later anyway. And I don't really think it is any one's fault. Malachei just was the catalyst to the decision being made now rather than later if that's what is going to happen.

If we continue, there should be a meeting of minds regarding style and posting frequency among the players. So far I don't think they match and it only ends in frustration for most of the players and I think that is why we don't have more interest in this game as a group.

HM, mentioned a "change". Perhaps some clarification on what that might mean in his mind will help with the decision.

Vertexx69

First Post
With the holidays over and done with, I'm back to checking these forums several times a day for thread progress. I want as many of the players as possible to be happy with the game, and would hate for this to end up being just another exercise in statistical math-terbation. That being said it is usually impossible for any given game to be all thing to all its players, but this one was described as a group of non-drow heading into the underdark to the "City of the Spider Queen" which is Lolth if you didn't know. Thinking it wasn't going to be combat heavy was just unfortunate.

ghostcat

First Post
I haven't chipped in so far but I have been following what people have been saying. Personally I for one was enjoying the game.

As for the role-playing via roll-playing aspects. Although I enjoy role-playing, I had an idea that the adventure would be combat heavy before I signed up, so that doesn't particularly bother me.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Combat Heavy is a mild statement. Let's see...

Encounters missed:
EL11 - Vampire and two vampire spawn
EL11 - summoned Dire Celestial Lions (not really missed but no combat anyway)
EL9 - ghost
EL6 - yellow mold
EL6 - animated statue

Encounters completed/current:
EL10 - Roper
EL11 - Bebiliths

Encounters to go before part 1-A is over:
EL10
EL12
EL11
EL8
EL6
EL10

That's like 12 combats and I had planned on playing about three or four. As most is filler to get your XP up. But I planned to give you all the XP (and work the treasure in somehow) for all the encounters to keep your lvl ups current with the module as you complete each part.

If perrinmiller wasn't doing the maps I would have bypassed this whole section of the dungeon, as it is not needed. But as a group it seems you wanted the easier to read maps so I went along with having to have your characters explore where ever it was you wish to go.

I will run the game, but I wish for all of you to decide if you really want to be in it. Changing equipment or builds is a little late, and more trouble than it's worth. The group is set, you need to take the crunch effect of each character (even those not your own), and use it for RP. Right now one character maybe shining, but I assure you there will be parts for everyone to showcase their talents. And if not I as the DM will make one for everyone of you.

HM

Remove ads