City of the Spider Queen (mini-campaign)

Malachei

First Post
Vertexxx69 said:
Thinking it wasn't going to be combat heavy was just unfortunate.

I expected a combat-heavy game. And I come all the way from 1st edition AD&D and BECMI -- now that was combat-heavy.

However, I'm not doing play-by-post games for the mechanical exercise of testing character builds. I'm here for a good story (which can involve a lot of combat).

A combat-heavy game can still have lots of good roleplaying. And if there's no NPCs and story elements to address, a party can still roleplay among themselves.

HolyMan said:
If perrinmiller wasn't doing the maps I would have bypassed this whole section of the dungeon

I really don't understand why you have to run an encounter just because a player is doing the maps for you.

HolyMan said:
Right now one character maybe shining, but I assure you there will be parts for everyone to showcase their talents. And if not I as the DM will make one for everyone of you.

Are you saying you will push us to the level of Vertexxx69? Actually, just because one player has decided to create a fairly optimized build, does not imply we should lift everybody to the same optimization level. This may not be popular with the others, but actually, an official D&D adventure (even a challenging one) is not designed for builds like Platinus & Slash.

We're walking through encounters you had pre-warned us of as tough (and which also fit the CR appropriate to the party's level) without much of a challenge. I've seen a lot before, but killing a CR 12 roper in one action (!) with a single 10th level character (and animal companion) tells me we don't have a problem with equipment -- we have an issue with very different levels of optimization. I don't see a solution in fine-tuning the module to counter the powers of Platinus (such as making many areas non-charge and no-jump terrain), because this will only be frustrating for the player.

So I'd say those who wish to go on do so. I'm willing to stay on board for the current encounter and then find an exit.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
So far I think only ghostcat, Vertexx69, and jkason are still in the game as is. If this is the case I will recruit one and continue after a replacement is found.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Not to gripe, but if you let me rebuild my character to match his gear I wound stay and save you the trouble of recruiting. I am perfectly happy to continue with only four and I am sure a smaller group will generate more character interaction than a mob of six.

But Morrolan just doesn't do it for me as he is built, since gear reflects a fighter type's style and tactics. I never minded tactical combat, it is just that I screwed up my build and my character feels as useless as nipples on a bull and that's supposed to be his role in the group.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Sorry but if I let you rebuild than someone else will ask if they can change one little thing. Then another might just want a feat switch, so we end up waiting on everyone to change before continuing. Instead of continuing while someone works to join in later.

I think looking ahead that when there are multiply combatants you will have your time to shine, ghostcat's character too. I mean you will have your own opponent and everyone else would have theirs.

But still up to you, like I have said I will run the game but people need to do their part too.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
BTW, my hang-ups are not about being jealous or anything else. It isn't about finding my place to shine either, as I said before I don't mind playing other types of characters or roles. So I really don't think you get my point. :erm:

The character build with it's combat style and the main gear assigned just don't match. No one else can really make that claim. It has nothing to do with power gaming or trying to keep up with the fleshrakers. The combination of medium armor and scimitar is better suited for a mobility fighter to me and that's not what I made in Morrolan and the disparity is not fun, worse than playing a 1st level character (they at least can quickly acquire new equipment and grow into things).

But I get not wanting to set a precedent and holding the game up while everyone tweaks things (but frankly this game has been on hold for practically 2 months already, what's one more week to keep players happy). And with only three other players, just ask them if they need/want to change anything, if the answer's "no" then...

If you let me do the change after this combat or at time shortly afterward to effectively swap guys out IC, I would stick with Morrolan until then. Since he needs to have the assigned gear, I planned to change practically everything except gender, making a completely new character, even change the name if that fits. I don't see it holding up anything nor being different than adding a replacement player. ;)

But if that's that. I am out then since playing Morrolan is not attractive for an extended time.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Understood but remember the equipment came from the picture, and was made so as to be useful/powerful later on as going to the magic shop for an upgrade would not be possible.

During the adventure is when people would have gathered better equipment to add to this. Just started with the picture no need to keep it that way.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I do remember what was said when I got the equipment, and my disatsfaction on the build goes back to then when not only was I getting the big shield, I was getting crappy armor and a scimitar because I failed to realize that because those were in the picture that's what I was getting. My fault.

If you are telling me to suck it up hoping that I will find useful magic items to replace my armor and primary weapon down the road, pardon my lack of faith. Once again they will likely not match and I will want to sell them too.

So, you would rather recruit someone else then?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
If you do not wish to continue and see what lies ahead I will. If you don't believe you will like the character after getting better armor or an item or two down the road then that is on you to call it quits.

I know that pbp is slow and it may seem like forever but I also know that the games potential is here. Just need to get past the dungeon crawling part and into the heart of it.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
HM, maybe you are right that even changing things wouldn't make me happier in the long run. Dunno.

I thought about it overnight and decided, you can go ahead and write Morrolan & Fafnir out of it.

I would have possibly tried to stick it out and trust you, but the other players haven't indicated they want me to stay either. So that pretty much is a clear indicator to me that group dynamics for character interactions won't satisfy me to make up for it. Some people enjoy paying with me and we RP like gangbusters and others don't care.

So have fun guys and see you around. :)

Remove ads