• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class list for PHB

Remathilis

Legend
Should bardic magic be separate? Are they innate casters like sorcerers?

Actually there is a greater point here that can be addressed:
How many types of magic should there be in the PHB?
Bard (in 1e they were druids, in 2e they were wizards, in 3e they had their own list of spells and casting method, in 4e they were arcane, 5e???)
Cleric - Paladin (pay homage to a powerful being)
Druid - (tap the world through training and knowledge)
Monk (doesn't cast but has mystical powers: innate power - born into or unlocked)
Psion (innate power - born into or unlocked)
Sorcerer (innate power - born into or unlocked)
Warlock (pay homage to a powerful being)
Wizard (tap the world through training and knowledge)

Brilliant! We'll drop all those classes and make them all sorcerer bloodlines!

D&D Next, featuring Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer!

Remathilis

Legend
I don't understand your argument here. Can you explain in more depth? How come "guy who is good at stealing" can be a class, but "guy who is good at killing" can't be?

I mean, assassin can be a "job" in the sense that any kind of character can be hired to kill someone, but being an assassin implies some specialized training and skills.

We have a "Thief" background and a "Lurker" Specialty. By the logic of [MENTION=14506]Sadrik[/MENTION] and others, we don't need a rogue class.

D&D Next: Featuring Fighter and Sorcerer!

From things that have been said by the design team I think we can expect:

Fighter
Cleric
Wizard
Rogue

Ranger
Barbarian
Paladin
Warlord
Assassin
Sorcerer
Warlock
Druid
Bard
Monk

...which is about one too many for my liking. Personally, the ones I'd highlight as question marks include the Barbarian (can be handled by background and speciality, maybe even race..), the Warlord (just not happy with it's general narrative inclusion - seems to be based too much on a tactical/mechanical aspect rather than a true archetype) and the Monk (could be in an Oriental supplement).

Steely_Dan

First Post
Fighter
Cleric
Wizard
Rogue

Ranger
Barbarian
Paladin
Warlord
Assassin
Sorcerer
Warlock
Druid
Bard
Monk

Ditch Barbarian and Warlord and I'm golden, barbarian is a cultural/social status, like samurai, you can have a barbaric party, and warlord seems more like a specialty (especially for fighters) to me.

On the fence about Assassin, but as my very first character (AD&D) was a Half-Elf Assassin, I sort of have a soft-spot.

But I need my Monk, I am working on my own, based off of the 1st Ed one, in case they flake.

gyor

Legend
We have a "Thief" background and a "Lurker" Specialty. By the logic of [MENTION=14506]Sadrik[/MENTION] and others, we don't need a rogue class.

D&D Next: Featuring Fighter and Sorcerer!

Dragon Sorcerors can use all weapons and armor, plus can get bonus damage on a attack. We don't need fighter either.

D&D Next: featuring Sorceror!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well it is class boat or Specialty bloat.

You can't make 1 Warlord specialty it you leave it out the class list. 4e produced 4 Warlords. EACH different.

1 Warlord class or 4 Warlord Specialties.
1 Assassin class or 3-4 Assassin Specialties.
1 Barbarian class or 6-7 Barbarian Specialties.
1 Ranger class or 10+ Ranger Specialties.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Well it is class boat or Specialty loat.

You can't make 1 Warlord specialty it you leave it out the class list. 4e produced 4 Warlord. EACH different.

1 Warlord class or 4 Warlord Specialties.
1 Assassin class or 3-4 Assassin Specialties.
1 Barbarian class or 6-7 Barbarian Specialties.
1 Ranger class or 10+ Ranger Specialties.

This is a good point.

I keep coming back to the idea that you can't boil down a class to 5 feats, despite what people say. Eventually, you'll see dozen's of specialties trying to capture the flavor of a certain brand of class. Its much easier to ban the Monk Class than it is to ban the Shao-Lin Fist, Seven Wind Walker, Drunken Fist, Enlightened Master, and Disciple of the Five Lights specialties.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This is a good point.

I keep coming back to the idea that you can't boil down a class to 5 feats, despite what people say. Eventually, you'll see dozen's of specialties trying to capture the flavor of a certain brand of class. Its much easier to ban the Monk Class than it is to ban the Shao-Lin Fist, Seven Wind Walker, Drunken Fist, Enlightened Master, and Disciple of the Five Lights specialties.

Exactly.

You could technically make certain make certain classes into specialties how many would you need.

"Warlock is just a wizard"
Okay you need:
A ritual caster specialty
A specialty for Eldritch Blast and invocations
An infernal pact specialty
A fey pact specialty
A star pact specialty
A dark pact specialty
An archon pact specialty...

Remove ads