[Closed]Clockwork, Steam & Sorcery

loxmyth

First Post
Bruin: Everything's looking fine. Your age is also alright, as elves in this campaign do mature quicker than usual. I like what you've done with your background and I'll work you in at the next convenient point. If there's anything you want to add or discuss, feel free.

Badger: I will accept you into the game, and will close recruitment with you. Your concept sounds fine; note that their may be a lot of resentment thrown your character's way due to his orcish ancestry. Clerics exist in the setting; it's just that no one originally wanted to play one. Since combats will be few and far between (unless you actively seek them out, of course) healing hasn't been a necessity. That being said, don't feel that you must play a cleric if you don't want to.

Badger

First Post
Well, the good thing about clerics I've found is that they have alot more strengths than just healing, so I was thinking to still try one out.

As far as the predjudice goes, that is why I chose that race, in order to have some RPing challanges to work with. The angle I was looking to get him into the school would be through one of the teachers in the school owing a favor to the clergy, and while he honored his promise, he has also let it be known that in his opinion, the church could have, and should have, sponsored another person for admittance.

As the only experience I have had with a similar setting has been through playing Arcanum, are half-orcs closer to that setting, or typical AD&D?

Thanks for the chance, and I will work on the char ASAP...

Badger

loxmyth

First Post
Hey Badger,

I have no problem with your choices; I just wanted to ensure that you were making them because you really wanted to play a half-orc cleric, not because you felt an obligation to fill in some spot. But if you're happy with the concept then it's all good. :)

Feel free to come up with the outline to your sponsoring professor if you wish. Note that I'll be putting my own spin on the character so I can understand if you'd rather I just made it up whole cloth.

Haven't gotten the chance to pick up Arcanum, and half-orcs are fairly rare in these parts, so feel free to characterize the character any way you wish.

Badger

First Post
In Arcanum, half-orcs were seen as second class citizens and even those who tried to rise above the stigma were seen as brutes and thugs. They mainly found their niche as soldiers and prize fighters where their "brutal" natures helped them find acceptance.

My concept was that his mother was a half-orc and was a servant of the church. Sadly, the fates had not made her the most attractive of ladies, so when another half-orc came into town and did not immediately turn away in revulsion, she thought she was in love. The brief flame only lasted a few days, but the end result was Lartis' conception.

The labor was a brutal one, as the mother had gotten ill during the pregnancy, and it seemed the further along she came, the weaker she was, although the babe seemed to be doing fine. She lived long enough to hear Lartis' birth cry and to look into his dark brown eyes before she passed.

The years that followed were peaceful for Lartis, as the brothers never spoke ill of his heritage, and would allow none to speak ill of him in their presence, as in their eyes, he was clearly marked as a "chosen one". However, they could not protect him forever.

Taking a rare walk outside of the church walls, Lartis heard a cry from the side of a bar and rushed to help a soul in need, but what was meant to be an act of mercy backfired quickly.

At 16 Lartis was physically as grown as any priest in the church, and when the rowdies saw a "damned black-blood" running towards them, they wasted no time in ignoring the crying female to have more "fun" with Lartis. While Lartis fought as best he could, he soon fell to the barrage of blows which rained down upon him, and soon his world faded into black.

When he opened his eyes, he did not see the angels he expected, but the relieved faces of the priests and the simple walls of his room. They truthfully told him of the damage to his left leg, damage that sadly even their spells could not repair, and that the leg would never respond fully to his wishes.

Lartis took the news in stride, trusting that it was part of the divine plan, and as soon as he could able began relearning to walk again. By his 17th summer, Lartis was walking again, although now with a pronounced limp.

The high priest saw the manner in which Lartis bore the injury, both physically and mentally, and felt that there was too much potential in him to ignore. Calling in a favor which could not be ignored, the high priest arranged for Lartis to be enrolled at the beginning of the next school year, after he finished his temple training.

Three years later, Lartis has reached his final year in the university and while he has suffered the stigma of his bloodline, he returns hostility with acceptance and the number of taunts which come his way decrease each summer.

Any thoughts on the bio? I apologize for its length, but I started writing and couldn't stop..:)

As far as mapping out his thesis, I'll leave that to you, as I'm not really sure how to pursue it short of going to find a battle..:)

Thanks once again, and look foward to any thoughts on improving the ol' writing style....

Badger

loxmyth

First Post
Badger, this concept sounds great. In fact, it sounds eerily similar to something I came up with, myself. Great minds, and all that. ;)

From what you tell me, the way half-orcs are seen in Arcanum would apply to this world as well. They are quite useful as muscle, but most people wouldn't want to bring one home to dinner.

And I have no problems with your writing style, as it is quite readable to me; my own is hardly anything to write home about either, so I'm probably not the best of critics ;)

bruin

First Post
Er, forgot to mention my bard's alignment (Chaotic Good of course). I added that to the Rogue's gallery entry.

Hmm, was also wondering if I should lighten his load somewhat. He'll be moving slower than the other characters; is running away at full speed more important than armor for this game? If so, I'll get rid of those leathers.

Last edited:

loxmyth

First Post
Well, currently the game takes place within the walls of Arcosia, which means that you shouldn't need your armour for normal day-to-day activities. The only people who regularly wear armour are typically the city guard, and traveller/adventurers. It would likely mark you more conspicuous, but there's no prohibition against it.

In the thread, the group so far has consistently avoided combat, sometimes by outrunning their opponents. So being lightly loaded has seemed to be an advantage so far. Note also, if you have ample time to prepare before a fight, you can always go get your armour. The only time it will be an issue is when you are attacked unexpectedly.

So to sum up: it doesn't matter to me one way or another, but travelling light seems to be the default.

bruin

First Post
Hmm, I guess I'll keep the leathers, seeing as Froud and Lartis do wear armor, so it's not that unusual. I don't have the benefit of a mage armor or shield spell like the wizards do, so I'd be probably the most vulnerable member of the group if we did get into a fight unexpectedly. Heck, he's a bard, leather probably just fits his fashion sense.:)

So I'll lighten the load by leaving some other stuff back in the room.

Last edited:

Remove ads