• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clutches of Evil - IC: Chapter Two

jkason

First Post
Byntrou, roguishly sorcerous barbarian

Nonlethal Force said:
The greasy man looks to Byntrou with a simple look of confusion. "Well, most mines are pretty dangerous places - they just don't let people into them. Besides, the mines are privately guild owned. They cost a fortune to excavate and even more to upkeep. But the stuff that they dig out makes it worthwhile. They aren't simply going to allow access to an active mine to just anyone or else they'd have a problem of theft."

Byntrou furrows his brow a moment, then smiles and continues. "I see, you thought I was asking about Foothills' mines. No, while we're disappointed, I can respect human custom on entrance to mines. I was asking if the town of Foothills in general was a good place to go wandering. Without our mine tour, we'll need something to do with our time, after all."

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The greasy man smirks and replies, "That dumpy hole in the wall that is a sorry excuse for a place to live?"

His mouth widens in a grin. "That's where my sad excuse for a brother-in-law took my sister. If he wasn't half-elven he wouldn't have the job he does as a shift manager of the local guild. Foothills' only got a few hundred residents. I wouldn't expect much. But if you want to go and look at how people barely scrape out an existance then that's your spot. They take their work seriously. The temple is nice there - as far as temples go. Most everyone there works in the mines, though. So don't expect too much."

The man adds with an afterthought, "Careful of the mayor though. That mans greedy to the bone and self-serving. My younger sis complains about him all the time."

D20Dazza

Explorer
Bahruul has a bored look on his face as he listens to the conversation, his stubby fingers drum impatiently on the table "How long will the food take to arrive?" he asks when a pause in the conversation surfaces.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The greasy man gives Bahruul an odd expression. "Well, I was just trying to be helpful. Oh, by the way ... there was a man that woke up early this morning, grabed his breakfast, and left a message for you all. He said that he couldn't help thinking about the cave spiders last night and the margin of profit he could make through exportation. He said something along the lines of knowing you all would talk him out of it, so he left early. He did wish you well."

[Sblock=OOC]Okay, I admit that's a rather cheap thing to do to the party ... but in a way it is very fitting. Pwent hasn't been very talkative lately and I'm painting it as though he's mentally grow apart from the party in goals. Hopefully this isn't too cheesey to buy.[/Sblock]

D20Dazza

Explorer
"The stinker! I never did trust Pwent, always reminded me of a dwarf I'd heard stories about" Bahruul says at the mans words "And apologies if I offended you with my question. I appreciate your assistance, it's just it has been several hours since I last ate"

jkason

First Post

D20Dazza said:
"The stinker! I never did trust Pwent, always reminded me of a dwarf I'd heard stories about" Bahruul says at the mans words

Byntrou pats the larger bous on the back, saying, "I suppose this is what comes of joining up with people met during random happenstance. At least the prophecy's intact, and maybe better: it calls for the aid of three, not four, after all."

"And apologies if I offended you with my question. I appreciate your assistance, it's just it has been several hours since I last ate"

Byntrou smiles a bit sheepishly at the waiter. "My apologies for delaying you. I forget how important it is for my herdmate to eat regularly."

Nonlethal Force

First Post
The man nods as Bahruul apologizes and as he leaves he says, "It'll be but a few moments, then. I'd not desire to dely your meal longer."

After about 10 minutes have passed he returns and sets the ordered food before them. Not wanting to interrupt any conversation or planning he simply states, "If you need anything else, call me over or come to the kitchen door if I am back there cooking."

Once any last minute pleasantries are exchanged he ehads to the kitchen once more.

The eggs are steaming hot - the cheese perfectly melted within and on top of the omlettes for those who ordered them. The coffee is indeed strong, the smell of it overpowers even the smell of the cooked onions. THe inn is empty with the exception of the couple the greasy man was talk to when the party descended and seems to be a safe place to havea conversation.

jkason

First Post

"If Foothills is really as rundown as the server suggests, we may have trouble coming up with a believable reason for being there," Byntrou offers as he eats. He chews on a bit of omlette, then raises an eyebrow. Bouncing his fork in the air a little as he talks, the bous adds "I suppose we could use our newness to advantage. Play the part of travelers hoping to find any work they can get, though I'm not sure how impoverished we really look.

"Or we could play the part of pilgrims. Might draw the threat to the temple to us quicker than we'd like, though."

unleashed

First Post
Keryth, Male Drakontos Cleric

“Well it doesn’t really matter how we approach Foothills, as long as our affiliations aren’t revealed, and I think we’ve done all the right things to show our interest in the events which brought us here, without giving anything away. I’d also say we’re currently being watched by the town leaders and guards at least, just because we’re new to town and quite heavily armed...if not yet by those who have committed the deeds we seek to investigate. So to put those minds at ease, we could probably get on with our mission now, looking to investigate the temple disappearances and the rumours about the mine openly...as long as we’re ready for whatever the direct approach may bring,” Keryth announce quietly, between bites of his omelette.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads