Comedy and comedians…

I haven't been keeping up with stand up specials like I used to (the last one I saw was the Chris Rock special---but I didn't see it live, and I think they may have edited down the one I saw to take out some mistakes....I could be wrong.

Been watching Seinfeld lately with my wife. That has been entertaining as I haven't seen it in ages, and the last time I saw storylines in the show in order is when it aired (in syndication I don't remember seeing the stories in order that much). Plus my wife has never seen it before but was very curious about it. I'm finding it holds up especially well (I think Larry David is a big part of why that show was so interesting but it also features an incredible cast who had real chemistry). Forgot how dark some of the jokes were too (something that made me remember the 90s context a lot more). For example plots involving Elaine wanting to poison cats or abduct dogs, that sort of thing. Interestingly while George was sort of the draw for me when the show aired (I think simply because I hadn't really seen a character quite like that before, except maybe someone like Black Adder), she finds him off-putting and is a big fan of Kramer.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’d link to some of my favorite Russell Peters routines, but none are 100% “Grandma friendly”

He’s a Canadian of Indian descent, and tells a lot of routines about Indians, Chinese, Arabs, etc. different from Canadians/Americans/Europeans.

Dioltach

Legend
I’d link to some of my favorite Russell Peters routines, but none are 100% “Grandma friendly”

He’s a Canadian of Indian descent, and tells a lot of routines about Indians, Chinese, Arabs, etc. different from Canadians/Americans/Europeans.
I saw him live a few months ago. He was hilarious, but like you say, not very Grandma friendly.

I've also seen Dara O'Briain's last two shows live. He's still one of my favourite comedians.

Lately I've been watching lots of Kevin Bridges on YouTube. I think I've exhausted all the Danny Bhoy clips. :(

Ryujin

Legend

To be specific, Russell Peters is from Brampton, Ontario, Canada. His brother Clayton, who is his business manager, was a friend of my sister's and Russell was that annoying kid brother who always wanted to hang around with their group.

I fell into a rabbit hole on YouTube and watched every episode of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, which is an incomprehensible title until you realize there's a British (Channel 4? ITV?) chat show called 8 Out of 10 Cats where a group of comedians guess how many Britons surveyed believe X or Y and a British game show called Countdown in which people try to do math problems or simple word problems with a timer.

So this show has the cast of 8 Out of 10 Cats doing the math and the word problems and it's extremely funny.

Either I literally watched all the episodes on YouTube, or they got yanked for copyright reasons, because the algorithm never suggests them any more.
If you like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown I strongly recommend Would I Lie to You.

Remove ads