• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comfort withcross gender characters based on your gender

Comfort with cross gender characters based on your gender

• I am male and am uncomfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 46 11.8%
  • I am male and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 108 27.8%
  • I am male and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 214 55.0%
  • I am female and am uncomfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 17 4.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sunseeker

It's not that it's inaccurate. It's that it's completely absent. It's no different than the background of your character. If your character background is Outlander (for example), then the character that is played at the table should reference that fact. At least reference it to the point where no one is surprised when you mention, "Hey, my character is an Outlander". I'm really not sure how it's arrogant to ask you to actually play the character you created instead of some cypher, Man without a Name character that is indistinguishable from the last five characters you played.

So again we come back to my original contention: what exactly makes a character "female"?

If you can't answer, you have no ground to claim that my portrayal should include it.

Hussar

Legend
So again we come back to my original contention: what exactly makes a character "female"?

If you can't answer, you have no ground to claim that my portray should include it.

Well, let's see. Styles of dress come to mind. Appearance obviously. Depends on the age of the character as well, which should also influence how the character is played. But, all that is an aside. It's up to you how you want to get across the fact that your character is female. Otherwise, what's the point? What's the point of gender bending your character if you cannot even be bothered bringing that to the table?

S

Sunseeker

Well, let's see. Styles of dress come to mind. Appearance obviously. Depends on the age of the character as well, which should also influence how the character is played. But, all that is an aside. It's up to you how you want to get across the fact that your character is female. Otherwise, what's the point? What's the point of gender bending your character if you cannot even be bothered bringing that to the table?

My point is that it is my character and it is my call exactly how they are presented. IF I choose to present them at all. I shouldn't have to inform the party that my character is wearing a dress, likes frilly things and wants to get married and have a baby just to prove they don't have a dingus.

How on earth this is all rattling around in your head I'll never know. By your own logic it would be impossible to portray a tomboy.

You're a smart fella. The fact that you're making the argument you're current making blows my frikken mind.

Hussar

Legend
My point is that it is my character and it is my call exactly how they are presented. IF I choose to present them at all. I shouldn't have to inform the party that my character is wearing a dress, likes frilly things and wants to get married and have a baby just to prove they don't have a dingus.

How on earth this is all rattling around in your head I'll never know. By your own logic it would be impossible to portray a tomboy.

You're a smart fella. The fact that you're making the argument you're current making blows my frikken mind.

To me, it's all part of role play. You portray that your character is a wizard. You portray that your character is from Calimsham, you portray that your character is a Harper. This is no different. The fact that apparently the only way you can think of to portray a female character is someone who likes frily things and wants to get married is more on you.

S

Sunseeker

To me, it's all part of role play. You portray that your character is a wizard. You portray that your character is from Calimsham, you portray that your character is a Harper. This is no different. The fact that apparently the only way you can think of to portray a female character is someone who likes frily things and wants to get married is more on you.

Don't turn this around on me. You're the one who's demanding that my character must be obviously feminine. Hence why I referenced obviously feminine elements.

You claimed that whatever I present, if it's female, I must present female elements. You chose clothing as one of those elements. I took a wild guess that you probably wouldn't qualify jeans and a T-shirt as sufficiently feminine. Do I need to describe how the otherwise-generic gear hugs my character's chest and rear? Like, come on. You're the one who claimed that clothing was a place where a woman could be differentiated from men.

It's not my fault for assuming you consider womens clothing to be obviously different from mens clothing.

This also demonstrates my secondary point: You're demanding my portrayal satisfy your definitions of femininity. When my portrayal is not what you wanted to hear, you criticize as inaccurate.

Word of advice: don't tell other people how to play their characters. It's a pretty great rule that keeps people at the table happy.

Hussar

Legend
Don't turn this around on me. You're the one who's demanding that my character must be obviously feminine. Hence why I referenced obviously feminine elements.
/snip

Word of advice: don't tell other people how to play their characters. It's a pretty great rule that keeps people at the table happy.

Bold mine.

Nope. I'm demanding that you actually play the character you brought to the table. If you want to play a nothing cypher with no indications of something that is pretty basic to anyone observing the character, that's a poor portrayal of that character. If you are completely unwilling or unable to actually show the table to the point where the table actually knows that your character is female, then, well, what was the point of making that character female? It's no different from any other element of the character.

A pretty great rule at the table is actually playing the character you brought to the table. Blank cyphers that bring nothing to the table are poor role playing.

S

Sunseeker

A pretty great rule at the table is actually playing the character you brought to the table. Blank cyphers that bring nothing to the table are poor role playing. In my opinion.

Ohhhhhh look at that. We've discovered the source of the problem, all of this was really just your opinion on how anyone playing the game in a way you don't like is playing it wrong.

Yep, there's the problem.

Hussar

Legend
You mean playing blank cypher characters with no actual indication at the table what your character is is considered good roleplaying to you? Good to know what your standards are.

S

Sunseeker

You mean playing blank cypher characters with no actual indication at the table what your character is is considered good roleplaying to you? Good to know what your standards are.

You can keep harping on that point all you want. But since apparently that point includes "you need to justify what you are if its not a self-insert" I'm going to disregard it as the garbage it is.

If I tell you my character is an elf, or a woman, or a flying lizard-man, what I should be roleplaying is how that character behaves. What I shouldn't be role-playing is how I may justify that character being something other than a human male to anyone else.

There's a difference between playing a faceless nothing and playing a character who does not have obvious and overt female or elf or whatever traits. That difference apparently does not exist in your world, which is why this discussion is going nowhere.

Hussar

Legend
Because, frankly, if at the table, you cannot or will not convey the pertinent facts of your character to the rest of the table in any way, then, why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads