• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Adventurer - 10 Reasons for Players on Wizards site

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hmm, $50.00 giftcard, and now yet another product to compete for my mindshare. I'm stressed out, but in a good way. :D

3catcircus

Adventurer
Zaruthustran said:
Right there with you. If I may substitute a synonym: "The scout isn't about [scouting]"

:p

It does sound like a poorly named class. Maybe they should have gone with... rogue/ranger. :)

I'm not a fan of new base classes. It decreases the need to multiclass, and is definitely a slippery slope. Once you add the Scout, why not add the Heavy Scout? Or the Mounted Scout? Or Sea Scout? With limited base classes you'd make such things with feats and multiclassing, but once you start adding more and more classes why not just make a new class?

Anyway, that's probably a discussion for a "I wonder what 4th ed will be like?" thread.

-z

I'm pretty sure that a more accurate description of the Scout would be a Commando or some variation thereof.

Bleys

First Post
fanboy2000 said:
Of course, I can't think of ninjas and not be reminded of blue ticks and hedges. ;)

I don't remember having a hedge... but maybe it has something to do with having a chimney thrown at me earlier in the day.... ;)

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist)

To me, the "conclusion" of the "Complete" series will be an interesting study in what they have chosen to "port over" from the splat books and what they have chosen to leave behind.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
If this is the conclusion, what do they have coming up to back up their "book-a-month" plan? They've still got a race book left, and then that's over. So they will be wrapping up two collections and still have to crank out a new product each month. What will they fill that gap with? They've done races and classes, so what's left for splatbooks? I speculate we might see a renewed focus on the campaign settings like Eberron and Forgotten Realms, but FR's almost been exhausted for region books (any new products will either be really specific or really generic), and I don't think that they can focus too hard on Eberron without alienating people who don't play that setting.

I wonder what we're going to end up with then. Probably more "Creature type" books like Draconomicon, Libris Mortis, and that Aberration book that's in the works. Maybe some new campaign ideas books. I like that idea, like the "event books" that Malhavoc Press makes...modular campaign additions.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Check out Wizards site.

They've got all sorts of stuff listed up. DMG 2, Races of Eberron, Ancient Empires (FR book), Lords of Madness, Sandstorm, etc.. etc... etc...

The Shaman

First Post
WotC said:
The scout isn't about reconnaissance, it's about fighting while on the move and leaving only blood and questions behind.
Ack.

Looks like I'll still be trying to convince GMs to let me play the Wilderness Rogue from Unearthed Arcana, because it IS about reconnaissance.

GlassJaw

Hero
8. Expanded Multiclassing Options: Many of the new feats in Complete Adventurer help to make some often-overlooked multiclassing options more viable. For example, how about a singing paladin? The Devoted Performer feat lets a character stack paladin and bard levels together to determine damage for the smite evil ability as well as uses per day of bardic music.

I'm surprised no one jumped on this. This sounds like a prelude to 4th edition if I ever saw one. This tells me that WotC has identified and accepted that the multiclassing rules in 3ed need to be changed and that new rules are perhaps already in development.

Gez

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I'm surprised no one jumped on this. This sounds like a prelude to 4th edition if I ever saw one. This tells me that WotC has identified and accepted that the multiclassing rules in 3ed need to be changed and that new rules are perhaps already in development.

My reaction was different from yours. It was "silly feat, paladins must be lawful or lose class abilities, bards must be non-lawful." :cool:

Remove ads