• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Mage - Is it out yet?

carmachu

Adventurer
Those feats look ok, but I'll reserve final judgement for a full reading. I mean, 3d6 is ok, but a wand of lightning bolts is better.

*shrug* I want to look at some of the other ones, specifically the summon elemental one.

Milkman Dan

First Post
Oddly, at least in my case, it wasn't the extra ability that drew me to the Reserve Feats as much as the +1 caster level that's tacked on. See, according to Complete Mage's description of Reserve Feats, it's a full-time, "always on" benefit.

For classes that specialize in certain spells (for example, an elemental savant who is specialized in electricity spells, like my PC), that can be a significant benefit on top of the ability.

There's also talk of Clap of Thunder feat being useful for arcane tricksters, since it's a damaging touch attack.

Shaele

First Post
Rapid Metamagic?

Greg K said:
RAPID METAMAGIC
You possess an uncanny mastery of your magic, enabling you to modify spells on the fly much faster than others can.
Prerequisites: Spellcraft 12 ranks, ability to spontaneously cast spells
Benefit: When you apply a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell, the spell takes only its normal casting time.

Umm. Does this imply that sorcerers can use Quicken Spell now?!? (I wouldn't think so, for balance reasons, but the thought is there). Even if not, still worth it just to get back to standard actions ;)

Sir Brennen said:
??? My reading is that being able to cast 3rd level spells is a prerq for the feat, but its effects aren't based off of 3rd level spells only. So if I still have Shocking Hands memorized as my only Electrical spell, I can still use the Storm Bolt feat ability for 1d6 damage.

Not quite. The effect is based on the highest-level electrical spell you have available to cast, if it meets the minimum requirement. Shocking grasp does not. Each feat specifies the requirements in its write-up.

Shaele said:
Umm. Does this imply that sorcerers can use Quicken Spell now?!? (I wouldn't think so, for balance reasons, but the thought is there). Even if not, still worth it just to get back to standard actions ;)

The intent was, indeed, to allow sorcerers to use Quicken.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Hey! Thanks for chiming in on the thread, Ari! :cool:
Mouseferatu said:
Not quite. The effect is based on the highest-level electrical spell you have available to cast, if it meets the minimum requirement. Shocking grasp does not. Each feat specifies the requirements in its write-up.
Ah, I thought those requirements were just to get the feat, not what spell levels it would work with. Guess I need to get the book.

Still, hold a 5th level spell in reserve, and you got your 5d6 wand of lightning bolts for free.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I suppose it's possible....but it seems like these reserve feats are doing almost exactly the same thing as the Locus Feats do..

Of course, I'm not the writer of the book, so I have no idea what he was thinking when he was doing it.

Reminds me a lot of what Monte said in a recent update, that spellcasters could use some constant "always on" minor magical powers and then be able to rock out every once in a while.

I think it's more a case of "great minds think alike" in all these cases. :)

Voadam

Legend
Sir Brennen said:
Still, hold a 5th level spell in reserve, and you got your 5d6 wand of lightning bolts for free.

5th level lightning spell? Lightning bolt 3, electicity orb 4, chain lightning 6, others?

So for a sixth level slot, known chain lightning spell, and a feat you can get your minimum power sorcerer made lightning bolt wand as an innate power.

BryonD

Hero
Sir Brennen said:
5th level slot, plus a feat, and your lightning bolt is only 20ft long. So you are a 9th+ level caster getting a 5th level caster effect with 1/6 the range. And it costs you a feat.
And, I don't know yet, but I bet there is a save that is pretty low.
There are much better things a 9th level wizard could be doing.

All in all it still sounds fair to above average. I don't have a problem with above average (so far).

BryonD

Hero
Voadam said:
5th level lightning spell? Lightning bolt 3, electicity orb 4, chain lightning 6, others?

So for a sixth level slot, known chain lightning spell, and a feat you can get your minimum power sorcerer made lightning bolt wand as an innate power.
If a wizard prepares a silent electricty orb, does that count as 4th? (I'm really asking)
If yes, does a sorcerer with silent spell and electricity orb count as long as he has a level 5+ slot?

Regardless, for balance purposes I think it is fair to assume that an appropriate spell of each valid level may come into play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads