• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Congratulations to the 2015 ENnies Award Winners!

Tonight in the Union Station Grand Hall, Indianapolis, the 2015 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ceremony took place - and the winners were announced! Hosted by Mike Selinker, with guest presenters including Amanda Valentine, John Adamus, Kevin Kulp, and Matt McElroy, the ENnies this year were sponsored by DriveThruRPG and Campaign Coins.

Tonight in the Union Station Grand Hall, Indianapolis, the 2015 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ceremony took place - and the winners were announced! Hosted by Mike Selinker, with guest presenters including Amanda Valentine, John Adamus, Kevin Kulp, and Matt McElroy, the ENnies this year were sponsored by DriveThruRPG and Campaign Coins.

[video=youtube;jLomBapB8PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLomBapB8PE[/video]

Best Adventure
Silver: A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)
Gold: Horror on the Orient Express (Chaosium)

Best Aid/Accessory
Silver: Black Green Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition RPG Dice Set (Q-Workshop)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters Screen (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Cover Art
Silver: Achtung! Cthulhu: Terrors of the Secret War (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
Gold: Rise of Tiamat (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Interior Art
Silver: The Strange (Monte Cook Games, LLC)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Blog
Silver: Gnome Stew
Gold: ConTessa Tabletop Gaming by Women for Everyone

Best Cartography
Silver: The Guide to Glorantha (Moon Design Publications)
Gold: Ninth World Guidebook (Monte Cook Games, LLC)

Best Electronic Book
Silver: Ken Writes About Stuff Volume 2 (Pelgrane Press)
Gold: Basic Rules for Dungeons & Dragons (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Family Game
Silver: Atomic Robo The Roleplaying Game (Evil Hat Productions)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Free Product
Silver: 13th Age The Archmages Orrery (Pelgrane Press)
Gold: Basic Rules for Dungeons & Dragons (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Game
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Miniatures Product
Silver: Pathfinder Pawns Inner Sea Pawn Box (Paizo Inc.)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Icons of the Realms Elemental Evil Boosters (WizKids)

Best Monster/Adversary
Silver: Achtung! Cthulhu: Terrors of the Secret War (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Podcast
Silver: Miskatonic University Podcast
Gold: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff

Best Production Values
Silver: Horror on the Orient Express (Chaosium)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set (Wizards of the Coast)

Best RPG Related Product
Silver: Temple of Elemental Evil (WizKids)
Gold: Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions)

Best Rules
Silver: MUTANT Year Zero The Roleplaying Game (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)

Best Setting

Gold: A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)

Best Software
Silver: HeroLab (Lone Wolf Development)
Gold: Roll20 (Roll 20)

Best Supplement
Silver: Pathfinder RPG: Pathfinder Unchained (Paizo Inc.)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters Guide (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Website
Silver: Tabletop Audio
Gold: The Escapist

Best Writing
Silver: D&D Player’s Handbook by Jeremy Crawford, James Wyatt, Robert J. Schwalb, Bruce R. Cordell (Wizards of the Coast)
Gold: A Red & Pleasant Land by Zak S (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher
Silver: Paizo Inc
Gold: Wizards of the Coast.

Product Of The Year
Silver: A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)

2016 ENnies Judges
Jakub Nowosad
Kayra KeriKupcu
Kiel Cheiner
Kurt Wiegel
Stacy Muth

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think JeffB's entitled to his criticism of the particular award!

"Entitled" carries a few connotations that we may not want to apply here.

How about we say he has a right to an opinion. I think we can agree to that. With that right does come a responsibility to be thoughtful in exercising the right.

Is laying a big stinkin' load of negativity in the first response fulfilling his responsibility with that right? That is highly debatable. Moreover, it isn't a very good way to advocate for the changes he'd want. The way he presented it makes it look far less like a considered and thoughtful position, and far more like a sore loser, at least to me. Luckily for JeffB's points, I am not a person he actually has to have that conversation with in order to advocate for change.

Congratulations to the winners!

And for anyone to be surprised that popularity is a factor in a largely fan choice award, well, I'm not sure what to say. The ENnies have always been a fan-based award, which necessarily means that popularity/obscurity will be a factor, and of course high priced "prestige" items will have an uphill battle. I'm surprised a $120 boxed set even took any awards at all - silver or gold. But the ENnies are fan awards and I'd hate to see that change.

jeffh

Adventurer
I heard on twitter, that some people walked out of the ceremony? is that true

A lot of people have problems with Zak, and therefore with Red & Pleasant Land, mostly because of some incredibly dishonest things that have been said about him in various places, which in certain corners of the Internet, it is fashionable to believe uncritically. Any shred of fact-checking will quickly show that they're false and that in any case, many of the accusers are guilty of worse.

And that's probably all that's worth saying about it here, because it's basically pointless drama from other parts of the 'net that I'm sure ENWorld's mods don't want spilling into here. I'm willing to discuss it further but ENWorld is not the appropriate forum.

Chimpy

First Post
I've DMed the 5e starter set adventure for 3 groups and they all loved it.

I think D&D 5 deserved all the awards. It perhaps would have been a bit nicer to see some more variety but it being the 5e year of release it's not surprising. I expect we'll get a wider spread of awards next year.

I guess the question of "is something good because it's popular?" is really hard to answer. If we're talking about modern music then I'd say definitely no. I think people often like what other people like and what they are exposed to. But I think in 5e's case it's well deserved.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
There is no way the D&D Starter Set should have won anything Production Values related. Most of the awards are fine, but this one definitely shows the fallacy of how these awards are set up and how anything D&D related would basically win automatically simply by name recognition since this is all popular opinion anyways once the nominations are announced and shared.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Moreover, I am not sure how to put this gently. You have an opinion about the production values. That's great. Have you considered that, even after you normalize for sales, maybe WotC would still have won? Especially given the price points - if people are thinking "value per dollar" maybe your favorite isn't as great a buy.
Is that what the defined judging criteria is for the Production Values category? I always took it that it was for the most crisp, highest quality product, not the best-bang-for-your-buck product.

Zak S

I think the Ennies serve a different purpose for WOTC and Paizo than they do for smaller publishers. For them, they answer "Ok, the fans like this, but how much?". For smaller publishers, they answer "Have you arrived yet?"

Red & Pleasant Land beat the PHB in a category or two, Vornheim (a few years ago) lost to a pack of dungeon tiles. I don't think anyone would say this is because--even in fans' eyes--Vornheim is much worse than Red & Pleasant Land. It's simply a measure of the fact that the publisher, LotFP is, in 2015, definitely "here to stay" as a regular publisher of real RPG books in a way that was harder to say than a few years ago when Vornheim was nominated.

The Ennies may be a popularity contest they may have some flaws, but they do seem to be a canary in the coalmine for some commercial realities.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Congratulations to all who won Gold or Silver, and also to those that were nominated.

I am surprised WotC swept the awards, and that Paizo "only" won 3 silver awards. But I am sure next year will be more "even", without a major new edition setting its mark. Also hope for more small publishers doing well.

Will be looking at Red and Pleasant Lands, The Guide to Glorantha and Mutant.

HotOE is cool and jam packed with stuff. Never before has the description "bursting at the seams" been more apt, since that is what the box did in two places when I carried it home from the shop. :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is that what the defined judging criteria is for the Production Values category?

Well, note that a uniform, defined judging criteria may drive the judging round, but not the voting round. In the voting round, the category means what the voters think it means. The judges certainly seemed to thing HotOE qualified for nomination. After that, it isn't the judging criteria's fault.

There may be an important* philosophical question in here: Should a product win an award if the product is inaccessible to the audience?

*Not important on the grand scheme of things, just in terms of our discussion. The Ennies are an award for a niche-gaming market - we are discussing awards for things that help us pretend to be elves, so no Earth is being shattered here.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
Well then every voter should be made aware of the parameters by which a category is judged before participating. Either that or the whole system needs to be revamped to be more concise across the board.

Also, HotOE isnt inaccessible, literally anyone can go onto the Chaosium site and purchase a copy. An example of inaccessible would be if Monte Cook had made Numenera for his own personal use, never releasing it for public consumption, and then tried to submit it to the ENnies. That would be product inaccessibility.

And the "it shouldnt really matter because this isnt life or death serious" argument is a fallacy, if you are going to do something (i.e. hold an awards cerimony in this case), do it right and respect it properly.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads