Congratulations to the 2015 ENnies Award Winners!

Tonight in the Union Station Grand Hall, Indianapolis, the 2015 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ceremony took place - and the winners were announced! Hosted by Mike Selinker, with guest presenters including Amanda Valentine, John Adamus, Kevin Kulp, and Matt McElroy, the ENnies this year were sponsored by DriveThruRPG and Campaign Coins.

Tonight in the Union Station Grand Hall, Indianapolis, the 2015 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ceremony took place - and the winners were announced! Hosted by Mike Selinker, with guest presenters including Amanda Valentine, John Adamus, Kevin Kulp, and Matt McElroy, the ENnies this year were sponsored by DriveThruRPG and Campaign Coins.

[video=youtube;jLomBapB8PE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLomBapB8PE[/video]

Best Adventure
Silver: A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)
Gold: Horror on the Orient Express (Chaosium)

Best Aid/Accessory
Silver: Black Green Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition RPG Dice Set (Q-Workshop)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters Screen (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Cover Art
Silver: Achtung! Cthulhu: Terrors of the Secret War (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
Gold: Rise of Tiamat (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Interior Art
Silver: The Strange (Monte Cook Games, LLC)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Blog
Silver: Gnome Stew
Gold: ConTessa Tabletop Gaming by Women for Everyone

Best Cartography
Silver: The Guide to Glorantha (Moon Design Publications)
Gold: Ninth World Guidebook (Monte Cook Games, LLC)

Best Electronic Book
Silver: Ken Writes About Stuff Volume 2 (Pelgrane Press)
Gold: Basic Rules for Dungeons & Dragons (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Family Game
Silver: Atomic Robo The Roleplaying Game (Evil Hat Productions)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Free Product
Silver: 13th Age The Archmages Orrery (Pelgrane Press)
Gold: Basic Rules for Dungeons & Dragons (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Game
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Miniatures Product
Silver: Pathfinder Pawns Inner Sea Pawn Box (Paizo Inc.)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Icons of the Realms Elemental Evil Boosters (WizKids)

Best Monster/Adversary
Silver: Achtung! Cthulhu: Terrors of the Secret War (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Podcast
Silver: Miskatonic University Podcast
Gold: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff

Best Production Values
Silver: Horror on the Orient Express (Chaosium)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set (Wizards of the Coast)

Best RPG Related Product
Silver: Temple of Elemental Evil (WizKids)
Gold: Designers & Dragons: A History of the Roleplaying Game Industry (Evil Hat Productions)

Best Rules
Silver: MUTANT Year Zero The Roleplaying Game (Modiphius Entertainment Ltd)

Best Setting

Gold: A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)

Best Software
Silver: HeroLab (Lone Wolf Development)
Gold: Roll20 (Roll 20)

Best Supplement
Silver: Pathfinder RPG: Pathfinder Unchained (Paizo Inc.)
Gold: Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Masters Guide (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Website
Silver: Tabletop Audio
Gold: The Escapist

Best Writing
Silver: D&D Player’s Handbook by Jeremy Crawford, James Wyatt, Robert J. Schwalb, Bruce R. Cordell (Wizards of the Coast)
Gold: A Red & Pleasant Land by Zak S (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher
Silver: Paizo Inc
Gold: Wizards of the Coast.

Product Of The Year
Silver: A Red & Pleasant Land (Lamentations of the Flame Princess)

2016 ENnies Judges
Jakub Nowosad
Kayra KeriKupcu
Kiel Cheiner
Kurt Wiegel
Stacy Muth

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well then every voter should be made aware of the parameters by which a category is judged before participating.

Description of the categories seems to be listed on the Ennies website - that's where I took my quote from. Easily reached by anyone who can vote.

Either that or the whole system needs to be revamped to be more concise across the board.

You are leaving a great deal unspoken here.

Specifically - we cannot speak about what "needs" to happen until we understand your desired goal. Then, we can discuss 1) if your proposed change is required to meet that goal, and 2) whether the rest of us agree that your desired goal is a priority. That would determine what actually "needs" to happen.

Also, HotOE isnt inaccessible, literally anyone can go onto the Chaosium site and purchase a copy.

If they have $120 free in their budget for a product they may not use, yes. But, many of us do not have that. It is not accessible to anyone working on a tight budget.

And the "it shouldnt really matter because this isnt life or death serious" argument is a fallacy

No, it is not. A, "fallacy," is something that is logically incorrect by its very construction. This is merely a point that you don't agree with.

The actual point, however, was that nobody should get hot under the collar over it. There are real issues in the world deserving of real ire, but this isn't one of them. Thus, the point more clearly - don't get rude or abuse people over this, please and thank you.

if you are going to do something (i.e. hold an awards cerimony in this case), do it right and respect it properly.

But, "right and wrong" are *subjective* in this case. Maybe, for their aims, for the result they want the awards to produce, what they are doing is exactly correct.

It may be wrong for what *you* desire out of the awards. You probably ought to spend some time establishing that what *you* want is of particular value to everyone else before laying it down as The Truth.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Congrats to all the winners.

I also think another round of praise should be given to the nominees. To even be nominated is a great honor, I think, that can really bring visibility to products that we can all find out more about and love.

As is always true for a popularity contest, you can ignore the rankings of anything coming from a big company; instead the best plan is to look at all the small company ones nominated and consider those. D&D Basic stuff is exactly what you expect -- highly popular and you have already made up your mind about it.

Basically, fans are presented with a list that looks like this:

VOTE FOR THE TASTIEST FOOD:

A] McDonald's Big Mac
B] Green apple spun sugar balloons with apple-infused helium
C] Molecular foam chestnut with run-banana infusion
D] Black Forest truffle in red wine reduction

Guess who wins?

Instead look at the smaller companies who have overcome that handicap to make it onto the list of nominees. They deserve a ton of credit and are definitely worth checking out.

[ASIDE] I'm actually a professional statistician, and doing this sort of ranking is really, really hard. A reasonable algorithm for a small number of choices is to ask fans to choose a full ranking ONLY FROM THE LIST OF GAMES THEY HAVE PLAYED. So 10 fans might respond A, A, BA, CBA, A, A, A, A, DC, A. You then do a full enumeration of possible rankings and choose the one that minimizes the number of pairs ranked by judges opposite to the trial ranking. For this data, the order would be DCBA (with zero discrepancies -- would be much more with 10,000+ votes!)

keterys

First Post
One essential problem with that model is that many people actually do not like B/C/D types of food (too fancy/strange/small, etc) while many of those who do like B/C/D types of food actively dislike A types of food (too fake/simple/unhealthy, etc)

A result of DCBA is at least as wrong as the ABCD result in this instance.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Congratulations to all who won Gold or Silver, and also to those that were nominated.

I am surprised WotC swept the awards, and that Paizo "only" won 3 silver awards.

It's difficult to win awards in categories for which you are not nominated. For whatever reason, the judges chose not to nominate many of our products this year. Perhaps we will be luckier next year.

From our perspective, we're very pleased to have won awards for 3 of the 4 categories in which we were nominated, including Best Publisher. In all cases, we "lost" the Gold to absolutely phenomenal products that lots of people love, so it was considerably less of a sting than you might imagine.

We have quite a few of these awards already, so whenever I get discouraged about nomination or award "snubs," I remember that, for some people, even a single ENnie is a HUUUUUGE deal, and that it would be churlish to complain about a year where we didn't win six golds or something.

It'll come around. Congrats to all the winners. We are honored to be in your company.

Zak S

It's difficult to win awards in categories for which you are not nominated. For whatever reason, the judges chose not to nominate many of our products this year. Perhaps we will be luckier next year.

From our perspective, we're very pleased to have won awards for 3 of the 4 categories in which we were nominated, including Best Publisher. In all cases, we "lost" the Gold to absolutely phenomenal products that lots of people love, so it was considerably less of a sting than you might imagine.

We have quite a few of these awards already, so whenever I get discouraged about nomination or award "snubs," I remember that, for some people, even a single ENnie is a HUUUUUGE deal, and that it would be churlish to complain about a year where we didn't win six golds or something.

It'll come around. Congrats to all the winners. We are honored to be in your company.

Yeah alotta people were like "You didn't get nominated for any art categories!" and I was like "Seriously all things considered I can live with that".

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads