Congratulations to the 2017 Gen Con EN World RPG Award Winners!

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Tonight, at Gen Con in Indianapolis, the 17th Annual Gen Con EN World Awards (ENnies) ceremony took place. Congratulations go to all the nominees, and to this year's award winners! The ENnies are an annual award program celebrating the best that tabletop roleplaying games have to offer, created in 2001.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 08.42.42.png

2018 Judges

• Brian Nowak
  • Denise Robinson
  • Kurt Weigel
  • Reece Carter
  • Sean McCoy
Best Adventure

Best Aid/Accessory

Best Cover Art

Best Interior Art

Best Blog

Best Cartography

Best Electronic Book

Best Family Game

Best Free Product

Best Game

Best Miniatures Product

Best Monster/Adversary

Best Podcast

Best Production Values

Best RPG Related Product

Best Rules

Best Setting

Best Supplement

Best Website

Best Writing

Fan's Choice for Best Publisher

• Gold: Wizards of the Coast
  • Silver: Chaosium
Product Of The Year

tales_from_the_loop.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 03.40.48.png

Zak S

IDK, how about getting 4 floors of people to complain about noise....

;-)

Well it was only because Mike was there causing trouble--I personally told everyone "inside voices". There's recorded video evidence!

Datapoint:

The big winners outside the OSR this year were:

-Tales from the Loop (mostly Swedish people who didn't show up)--which was only one guy.

-Chaosium with Cthulhu--and when I invited Greg Stafford to our party he smiled and said he was going to bed.

-Ken Hite as always (who came to our party)

and

-John Wick presents (who came to our party)

plus the ABCs of RPGs crew came and the guys from Monte Cook Productions came

....so it's pretty safe to say that even though we only won 5 ennies, OSR definitely threw the best party.

Somebody outdo us next year--and invite us. Party planning is hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zak S

What other better attended RPG conventions are there?

According to Mearls at the bar on Saturday night, the thing is:

Cons are about wandering past the booth and going "Hey what's that!?!" and there's nobody at Gen Con who goes "Hey, what's this? Dungeons and......Dra...gons?" and so WOTC just doesn't get as much out of doing cons as other companies do.

People from WOTC still hang out (he was there running games) but just not "officially".

Cam Banks

Adventurer
What I'm seeing here is a lot of small-to-medium press and indie publishers, quite a lot of non-US games and/or publishers (and this particular thing I really love) and the continual impact of crowfunding on the industry.

Exactly. Folks would be shocked (shocked!) to find out that without successful crowdfunding campaigns and the hard work of lots of freelancers, 90% of game publishers in the RPG business wouldn't be producing games at all. The gap between "dude who does it all by himself and publishes PDFs on DriveThru" and "people who publish that big glossy game book the kids are talking about" is tiny, for all that it may appear sometimes that it's much wider.

Or, as the saying goes, if you want to make a million bucks in the RPG business, start with two million bucks.

Cheers,
Cam

Zak S

The gap between "dude who does it all by himself and publishes PDFs on DriveThru" and "people who publish that big glossy game book the kids are talking about" is tiny, for all that it may appear sometimes that it's much wider.

There are significant differences between the established presses and Mike Evans at DIY RPG or Raggi at LotFP. The differences in cashflow are huge:

Green Ronin had the DC Comics license and a link to Critical Role.

Margaret Weis had the Marvel Comics license (it costs at least 6 figures) and the Smallville license.

Atlas Games has established IP like Unknown Armies, Feng Shui, etc

Evil Hat had, of course, the Dresden Files and Atomic Robo IP.

And the list of personnel working on these books is huge, Unknown Armies had like more than 10 authors.

The fact that genuinely tiny publishers like LotFP are more winning awards than these folks and selling out print runs from the smallest booths you can get at Gen Con is a big deal--they have the deck completely stacked against them.

And, yeah, you could say they're relying on D&Ds ip, but they're also out-competing the other 3rd party publishers doing that plus Paizo and actual WOTC's D&D supplements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Setting aside for the moment that you don't appear to know as much about this business as you think, it really doesn't matter to the fans if one person puts food on their family's table from publishing a book or fifty. Awards are a recognition of a book's popularity and awareness among the fan community. There's never any guarantee that a new edition of a game or a group effort is going to appeal to folks as much as a small press solo effort. I'm sorry if you think I'm trying to steal any of James' thunder, but it's weird to keep seeing people try to claim mainstream publishers are The Man, raking in the dough. I've been doing this for 15 years, I am not well off. The only reason I'm even able to go to Gen Con is because it's work and they cover the travel and rooms.

Good news though! I have a small press solo creator indie game coming out next year so who knows.

Cheers,
Cam

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads