Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I can't really see a benefit for a swarm of these. We could probably just downsize the 3' stingray for this one, drop poison, and add the special bladder as flavor text.

Bloatfish
Tiny Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: Swim 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +4 Dex, +1 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: Sting +4 melee (1d3-3)
Full Attack: Sting +4 melee (1d3-3)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 4, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +3 (+7), Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Cold aquatic
Organization: Solitary, pair, or school (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 1/8?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 1 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: -

A bloatfish's body is 1 to 2 feet across and weighs about x to x pounds.

COMBAT

Skills: A bloatfish has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. *When it is lying still along the seafloor, a bloatfish has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I can't really see a benefit for a swarm of these. We could probably just downsize the 3' stingray for this one, drop poison, and add the special bladder as flavor text.

If it resembles a manta ray, why would it have a sting? Mantas don't have stings. If I remember correctly, they can only slap with their "wings" or slam with their bodies.

The original doesn't have any attacks, but I don't mind giving it some token offensive ability.

I'd prefer a slam attack though.

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good. Added to Homebrews.

Its attack should be +6 (+0 BAB +2 size +4 Finesse) with its +4 Dex bonus.

Although I don't really like Dex 18 for them. Something called a "bloatfish" is unlikely to be agile.

I'd be quite satisfied with Dex 15.

The Advancement seems a bit iffy, how about 1 HD (Small)?

The rest seems fine.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks good enough to me, too, and I can go for Cleon's suggested changes. Can't forget the fresh-water bladder in the flavor text, though.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd go with 15-45 lb. I get that by scaling a 25 ft long manta ray weighing 5100 lb down to 1 ft long (but assuming that the thickness doesn't shrink by that same factor) and getting 8 lb, then increasing by a bit to include a full water pouch. If Cleon agrees well enough, then we're ok.

Cleon

Legend
I'd go with 15-45 lb. I get that by scaling a 25 ft long manta ray weighing 5100 lb down to 1 ft long (but assuming that the thickness doesn't shrink by that same factor) and getting 8 lb, then increasing by a bit to include a full water pouch. If Cleon agrees well enough, then we're ok.

15 pounds is fine by me. Much of it will be the fresh water in its "pouch".

I can't help wondering what purpose the fresh water serves. Is it buoyancy? Do the young breathe freshwater and develop internally?

Shade

Monster Junkie
15 pounds is fine by me. Much of it will be the fresh water in its "pouch".

15 pounds it is!

I can't help wondering what purpose the fresh water serves. Is it buoyancy? Do the young breathe freshwater and develop internally?

I think it's more of a "game mechanics first" design at play here. They wanted a critter that would serve as a waterskin, plain and simple.

If you want to develop some of the rest into flavor text, I'm not opposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads