Converting Old Spells to New Rituals

WhatGravitas

Explorer
4) Bad Luck works like the trickster's disposition power: once per day, the DM gets to tell the player that any d20 roll they just made is actually a 1, with no rerolls allowed. Alternatively, it applies only to certain rolls: daily powers, saves, rolls made within ten squares of a black cat, one roll per encounter, etc.
Alternatively, you could simply disallow the use of action points. PCs *are* hurt by this, and so are Elites and Solos. And I think it represents bad luck to some extent.

I'm also wary of Ill Health. You could just change it to "infected with a disease of your level or lower and cannot be cured, as long as the curse is active" - it's more interesting than a plain -4 penalty, I think.

Cheers, LT.

Zetesofos

Explorer
I love them. A fine majority of these are nice, and grant much utility to all ritual casters. Granted, some exceptions have been noted. (Foresight, Curse, etc). But on the whole, a good start to adding new rituals.

From what I can gather, the trick to balancing a ritual should be that players should not have incentive to cast a ritual EVERY day as a buff of some sorts. They can provide bonuses to skills or even combat within reason, but should have some sort of exchange involved, and not feel like like a daily preperation before and fights that day.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Sorry I haven't replied in so long. I have edited several of the rituals in the original post. I listed the changes made at the bottom. Keep the comments coming! :)

Starfox

Hero
I have done something similar, making raw conversions of spells in 3.5 to rituals in 4E, as well as adding some of my own ideas. I am not sure all these things should exist as rituals. In particular, I wonder if the Resist Energy spells might wreak havoc with game balance. Then again, we run friendly games, so game balance is not nearly as important for us as it is for the "official" game.

Edit: Ops, forgot the url; Here it is http://hastur.net/wiki/Rituals_(4E). Sorry about merely linking it; the document is both to large to post here in its entirety and too hard to convert to the right format.

Remove ads