Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Although it is Medium, a monitor lizard is only 3 to 5 feet long, so I'd just use that and call it a day.

That's a bit tougher than I would like, I was thinking something halfway between a Monitor Lizard and a regular Lizard, e.g.:

Riding Lizard
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Run, Weapon Finesse (B)

Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary or herd (2-20)

Challenge Rating: 1/4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

A lizard that looks like a yard-long iguana with unusually long legs and a shortened tail.

Riding lizards are a herbivorous reptiles of unusual intelligence and sociability that can be trained as mounts or beasts of burden. Their small size means they are mostly used by tiny humanoids, especially the Cayman lizardfolk.

A riding lizard is 2 to 3 feet long (excluding tail) and weighs about 40 pounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
There are various riding lizards, subterranean lizards, etc, in 3e already. Why not just point people at those?

freyar

Well, just looking through Echohawk's guide, I find a Large pack lizard and riding lizard in the FRCS and a Large subterranean lizard in the adventure Forge of Fury. But those are as big and tough (or more) than the SRD monitor lizard, so maybe that's an issue.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, just looking through Echohawk's guide, I find a Large pack lizard and riding lizard in the FRCS and a Large subterranean lizard in the adventure Forge of Fury. But those are as big and tough (or more) than the SRD monitor lizard, so maybe that's an issue.

As far as I can tell, the only Small lizard is the Swamp Lizard in Dungeon Magazine #84. That's probably a bit too obscure for most DMs, so let's go wtih Cleon's riding lizard.

Cleon

Legend

That's the problem, I'm looking for something Small- or Medium-sized with low HD and not that combatworthy. Basically, a "my little scaly pony", if you will.

I have no objection to using an existing WotC creature or Enworld conversion if we can find one that matches.

I wondered about using a Protoceratops but the Sandstorm version is too over the top - 5d8+20 Hit Dice indeed!

How about our Euparkeria conversion?

That's pretty close to my Riding Lizard proposal.

freyar

Why not use the riding lizard Cleon has here and mention the euparkaria as favored in regions with dinos?

Cleon

Legend
Why not use the riding lizard Cleon has here and mention the euparkaria as favored in regions with dinos?

So something like this?

Cayman are skilled riders, and often use mounts in battle. Most cayman use cayman riding lizards (see below) for mounts, but wealthy or high ranking cayman ride aurochs. Cayman sometimes domesticate smaller species of dinosaurs or other ancient reptiles, such as euparkeria or protoceratops, if the tribe dwells in a region with such creatures.

Sure!

Updated with Riding Lizard underbar.

Suits me.

Dang it, I left a stray "a" in "Riding lizards are a herbivorous reptiles of unusual". Better cut that out.

Remove ads