• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
We also need LA for the cayma as well as to remove the ? on "Most cayma leaders are rogues." Oh, and we need to drop the shazak bit in the Mystara underbar. ;)

Mortis

First Post
Sorry been away for a week or so without any internet access. Just playing boardgames (mainly Descent - a D&D type dungeon bash thingy) and drinking - marvelous.

Anyway the cayman looks like its coming along fine.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
Sorry been away for a week or so without any internet access. Just playing boardgames (mainly Descent - a D&D type dungeon bash thingy) and drinking - marvelous.

Anyway the cayman looks like its coming along fine.

Regards
Mortis

Welcome back!

Any views on the LA?

Mortis

First Post
Any views on the LA?
+1

I know they're fairly tough for their size, but the lack of reach and low damage let them down. To melee with a small or medium (let along larger) creature they are going to be provoking attacks of opportunity.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis, that sounds like heaven (drinking and board games)! :cool:

Updated.

Suggested domains?

Did we cover any of the following and I missed it?

Organization: x
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: x

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
CR of 1/3? Thoughts on org and treasure?

1/3 seems about right. They're tougher than a kobold, but still do lousy damage.

The original critter only had treasure type K, or a 3-18 silver coins per Cayman.

That suggest they should have less than a standard Lizardfolk's "50% coins; 50% goods; 50% items".

How about 50% coins; 25% goods; 25% items?

We could mention they prefer silver pieces in the background text.

That treasure seems reasonable.

The original org doesn't seem too far off from 3.5 lizardfolk. Just copy that or go for something more specialized?

Then we decided to add some riding animals, which we spent a while sorting out: riding lizards, aurochs, and possibly dinos added to the lizardfolk org of
Gang (2–3), band (6–10 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or tribe (30–60 plus 2 lieutenants of 3rd–6th level and 1 leader of 4th–10th level).
I guess stick them into the tribe and perhaps band level, but I'm not sure what numbers we want to use for them.

Cleon

Legend
Then we decided to add some riding animals, which we spent a while sorting out: riding lizards, aurochs, and possibly dinos added to the lizardfolk org of
Gang (2–3), band (6–10 plus 50% noncombatants plus 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or tribe (30–60 plus 2 lieutenants of 3rd–6th level and 1 leader of 4th–10th level).
I guess stick them into the tribe and perhaps band level, but I'm not sure what numbers we want to use for them.

I'd use the same numbers, since their MC entry has a 10d6 number appearing, but I'd change the name from "tribe" to "village" and shift the non-combatants to it.

e.g.:

Organisation: Gang (2–3), band (6–10 plus 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or village (30–60 plus 50% noncombatants and 2 lieutenants of 3rd–6th level and 1 leader of 4th–10th level).

Remove ads