• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Converting Planescape monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That sounds good.

I think DR should be "-" rather than magic, despite the text. All the elementals got a boost to the new "-" type in 3.5.

Added to Homebrews.

dhaga

First Post
For feats, how about Dodge, Improved Init, and Power Attack?

Steam damage should probably change by size, as fire damage does for the Fire Elementals. It could even follow the same progression.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'd make "steam" damage partly slam damage and partly fire damage, which can be halved with a successful fort save.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
I'd make "steam" damage partly slam damage and partly fire damage, which can be halved with a successful fort save.

I picture it like so:

Attack: Slam +x melee (2d8+x plus 2d6 fire)

Steam (Ex): A creature struck by a wavefire's slam attack also takes 2d6 points of fire damage. A successful DC X Fortitude save halves the damage. The save DC is Constitution-based. A Huge wavefire's steam damage increases to 2d8.

I borrowed the base slam damage from a Large water elemental, the fire damage from a Large fire elemental, and the Huge increase from a Huge fire elemental.

Does that work?

dhaga

First Post
The stat block looks good for this guy.

For Tactics, we can use the original text: "The wavefire is as straightforward a combatant as they come. With its great swimming speed, it rushes upon its foes and bashes them with a forceful, boiling wave of water."

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
And for description:

This massive amount of boiling water somehow holds together as it races over the waves.

or something like that. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
PSMCIII said:
Size: L (12' tall)

Medium Water Elemental = 8 ft. 280 lb.
Large Water Elemental = 16 ft. 2,250 lb.

So maybe 12 ft., 1,500 lbs.?

PSMCIII said:
The wavefire's excellent Armor Class comes partly from its fluid form and partly from its great speed. If the creature somehow suddenly finds itself in a nonwatery environment (say, if a canny spellslinger teleports it elsewhere), its movement rate slows to 3 and its AC falls to 6.

Deflection bonus while in water?

PSMCIII said:
Spells such as part water or lower water have no effect on them.

How's this?

Immunity to Water (Ex): A wavefire is immune to the detrimental effects of spells with the water descriptor.

PSMCIII said:
A cold-based attack, however, such as a cone of cold, inflicts twice its normal damage on a wavefire, as it lowers the creature's temperature and robs it of its essence. Such attacks also reduce the wavefire's movement by half for 1d3 rounds.

How's this?

Vulnerability to Cold (Ex): A wavefire takes half again as much (+50%) damage from cold effects. Additionally, a wavefire is slowed (as the spell) for 1d3 rounds.

PSMCIII said:
Inner-planar travelers report having spotted small paks of wavefires flowing through the quasiplane of Steam, working in concert. Such groupings are almost always short-lived, however. Competition for food is so severe that, sooner or later, a wavefire must fend for itself. In other words, it tries to succeed instead of, rather than addition to, its brethren.

Solitary or pack (2-3)?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads