Cool article about Gary Gygax

Thank you for sharing that it was a really great read.

Having played D&D in Australia from the late 70s I can remember all the controversy and ridiculous stories that came out and the rhetoric thrown at my from various sources. All I know is for a shy kid who had just read Lord of the Rings and the Thomas Covenant books the chance to create my own worlds or play the hero was just something I could never have imagined on my own, and even to this day it is my creative outlet.

So I will always be grateful to Mr. Gygax.

Negflar2099

Explorer
Really great read. Thank you for finding and posting.

I especially love the parts about D&D being played in prison and how it integrates players of different backgrounds. D&D is such a great tool to bring people together. It's one of the great non zero-sum games around, cooperative and amazing.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Really great read. Thank you for finding and posting.

I especially love the parts about D&D being played in prison and how it integrates players of different backgrounds. D&D is such a great tool to bring people together. It's one of the great non zero-sum games around, cooperative and amazing.

Yes, I remember when that case came out, it was very disappointing. I hope that as more of us who came of age in the late 70s and 80s continue to take the reigns in business and government, we will finally put this ignorant nonsense behind us. It already happening in entertainment.

Gadget

Adventurer
The FBI was apparently looking into a possible tie between the string of then-unsolved bombings and a bitter legal dispute between TSR and a rival gaming company in Fresno, California.

Does anyone know who or what this 'rival gaming company in Fresno, California' is or was? I'm curious. Fresno was hardly a gaming mecca back them, and I had no idea there was a gaming company there when I lived in the area around that time.

DRF

First Post
Nice article. Gygax seems like such an interesting character. I grew up in the 90s and wasn't really exposed to D&D. Video games won.

GreyLord

Legend
Nice article. A portion of it makes me upset, not the article itself, but what it discusses. Prisons SHOULD allow D&D. If anything, D&D is a great thing to be utilized in prisons for imagination and rehabilitation. That stuck up individuals who know nothing about it would deem it harmful sort of makes me upset. D&D should be something the courts mandated was allowed, rather than backing up the bullying of over-riding prison officials who are simply exercising their own authority to bully inmates.

IMO.

D&D helps with the imagination, cooperation, and team building, things that would go FAR in rehabilitation, much further than a LOT of the other so called rehabilitation that happens in prisons.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Yes, very interesting.

I briefly met him in Las Vegas in the late 80's, and as very limited as my experience of him was (fan meets author...) he didn't appear to have any celebrity attitude about him. In fact he was most animated when talking about the game and the few things he recounted to me on how ideas for the tropes in it had first come about.

It was a long time ago admittedly, but the drug-taking, millionaire Jacuzzi party magnate character described by some didn't seem to inhabit the enthusiastic gamer-guy I was talking to.

That he had an FBI file is hilarious... perhaps he tried to smuggle a wand of fireballs onto a plane at some point! :p

Remove ads