• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
ecliptic said:
You need to take the white mat to Kinkos and have them put a grid on it.

Actually, you can get flipchart paper in 1" grids. Use that instead - then you can draw on it if need be (to denote spell effect areas, etc) and toss the sheet at the end of the battle.

Office Depot used to have 50 sheet pads fo $9.99

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Frostmarrow said:
Does the room get hot?

The room shouldn't get hot, but some of the projectors might be a bit noisy. Boredflak's InFocus is probably a little noisy, but the one Steel Wind has should bemuch quieter.

In regards to the lamp heating up too much - it's not normally an issue. Don't put anything to cover the vents on the projector (say, to muffle the above-mentioned noise) and you'll be fine.

Ogrok the Mighty said:
My only concern would be burning out the projector since it would be on for very prolonged periods of time.

Our projectors at work get used 6-8 hours all the time. The only issue is lamp life - which in the newer models is working its way up to 2,000-3,000 hours. Some can be set at low brightness or high brightness. For example, we just bought a couple of Epson PowerLite 81p's. They're $1800, 2000 Lumens at high brightness, 1500 lumens at low. 1500 lumens is still pretty good, good enough to allow you to see the projectionfairly well in a daylit room. At low brightness, the lamp would last 3,000 hours. That's 500 6 hour sessions. It can also project a 30" image at 2.9 feet distance.

3d6+15

Explorer
What Projector?

I'm not seeing mention of exactly which projector brand and model Steelwind and crew using.

I'm in love with the idea and am researching (price hunting really) to be a copycat myself.

I have a massive gaming surface in my basement whose surface is 5'7" away from the ceiling that's just begging for a setup like this.

I'm looking forward to that guide!

Steel_Wind

Legend
We are using an Optoma EZPRO 750. The device is no longer manufactured by Optoma who discontinued its production last year, but it still can be found new from many retailers.

That is not, however, the projector I would buy if I had a choice and a decent budget. We got that one off of e-bay simply because it was one of the more attractive models which met our minimum specs and was available at the time. We got lucky on our lamp and unit. You are not likely to be as lucky.

If money is really not your major concern, I would recommend the Dell2300MP. It retails for $1349, brand spanking new, at 2400 Lumens it is daylight bright with a contrast ratio which is among the best in class. Best of all - its XGA native mode at 1024x768 so your picture will be sharp and have vibrant color.

At a throw distance of 5'7", depending on the zoom factor you employ, you will get a diagonal resolution of between 36" and 43" for that projector. That is about average for a DLP at that throw distance.

The brightness, contrast and reosolution are exceptional on this projector. You will have a very fine piece of hardware for your money - very nice for Home Theatre use as well if you plan to employ it for that purpose.

For a SVGA projector, meaning only 800x600 resolution, there are a lot of other options.

The Dell 2200MP is 1200 ANSI and will give you 39" to 47" at the that throw range. The Dell's price is once again - AWESOMELY attractive and probably makes this the most favored choice of gamers looking to get in on this technology. Currently, Dell is selling the 2200MP for $719. That is incredibly cheap folks.

For a brand new projector, that's pretty hard to beat. You'd be doing very well to get a used projector off of e-bay for much less than that.

The Dell 2200MP has to be a front-runner for a lot of people on ENworld.

If image size is your goal, the Sony VPL-DS100 can give you an image from 48" to 59" or so at that throw range. It has a street price of about $1,000.00-$1,100 - and it's at 1200 ANSI.

When given a choice, I would choose brightnesss over size, any day. For images larger than 44" or so, I would want a XGA - not SVGA projector. Your image is going to become visibly pixellated at times if you go for the Sony.

A final reminder: If you look to buy your projector used off of e-bay, you need to be VERY aware of the fact that your lamp is definitely used. How used? You don't really know - no matter what the seller says.

What you must remember is that it is $300-$400+ to replace your lamp in a DLP projector. One can be penny wise and pound foolish buying used.

An unknown used projector for $600-650 or so vs. a brand new 2200MP from Dell for $719?

You don't need me to tell you where the smart money goes on that prospective purchase.

Last edited:

3d6+15

Explorer
Wow the 2200MP appears to be a fantastic value!

I'm tempted to buy something like your highest option there, and while I have the means, I am not so sure I have the will. (Funny, I didn't mind spending $1000 on the laptop I only use for DM'ing.)

Thank you for the information! I've got a lot of hunting and deciding and planning to do.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Millionaires?

While this technology is not as cheap as a pair of dice, at $719 USD for a brand new projector, it costs less than the large majority of most of the computers people are using to read this message and less still than most of the laptops kicking around at the gaming session.

Do try to keep the cost in perspective

A recent ENWorld poll had a substantial number of gamers indicating that they spent about $100 a month on gaming stuff.

Especially if a group chips in for a projector, $719 is hardly cost prohibitive. For a group of five gamers, gaming once a week, that's less than a $1 a game session over the course of three years. IF your group is larger - the costs per player only goes down.

Would you RENT one of those for, say, 16 cents per hour to game with? I'm guessing the answer for many if not MOST here is yes.

It is not cheap, admittedly...

But millionaires? No. This is affordable technology.

Last edited:

Remove ads