• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Hairfoot said:
I can't see it. All I'm getting is photos of a baby.

Look up. See the masthead? The word that says "forums"?

We were sneaky in our website design. We decided to hide the link to the forums by forcing people to click on the large word that says "forums". :D

Quick jump to them here: www.dladventures.net

Hairfoot

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Look up. See the masthead? The word that says "forums"?
That's a bit harsh. Why does the OP talk about this fantastic setup, then link to pictures of a sprog?

I can't see anything in the fora that covers it, either. I'm obviously missing something, because other visitors have spotted it.

I can't wait to try this at home. Steel_Wind I'm not seeing the pictures you posted on the first page. Do you have another link to them? Also are you the same Steel_Wind that posts on the Dungeon boards?

What is the best surface, in terms of quality of the image, to project the image on? I have read that people are using white boards, white paper and foam core.

Is the do it yourself guide dead or just in hibernation?

I've started playing around with creating maps using the NW toolset. After they are created how do you use them? Can you save them as a image file, like Dundjinni? Or do you just display them using the tool set?

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
I have to redo the links. Our ISP changed something which busted most of our links on our DLA server (how kind of them - good thing we only pay them a ridiculous amount of money for our server).

Yes. Same Steel_Wind one who posts on Dungeon/ RPG.net/ DLA/Dragonlancefurums, etc..

The guide is still in hibernation. I have three projects on the go with BioWare, a new baby, two campaigns to DM and a law practice.

I'll get to it. I was also hoping that Mitsubishi would release their pocket projector so we could at least all know if it will work or not, but delays after delays seem to have pushed them off of their September release.

I actually pitched a mini-guide/article to Paizo. Someday, they may even let me know :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Aramis Simara said:
I can't wait to try this at home. Steel_Wind I'm not seeing the pictures you posted on the first page. Do you have another link to them? Also are you the same Steel_Wind that posts on the Dungeon boards?

What is the best surface, in terms of quality of the image, to project the image on? I have read that people are using white boards, white paper and foam core.

Is the do it yourself guide dead or just in hibernation?

Any bright white surface will do. White paper is fine - even a battlemat would be OK, but it would absorb a little more of the light, which might be an issue depending on the brightness of the projector. You don't want anything too reflective, cause you might get some glare (this might be an issue with some whiteboards) but really, just about anything white will do.

Steel_Wind

Legend
As I have mentioned here a few times, a pad of extremely large white paper designed for easel presentations from Business/Office Depot/Staples is a recommended projection surface. (The original suggestion for this came from Kid_Charlemagne IIRC.)

A pad of 50 sheets should cost you $10 or less. Unless you are "mark up the map" fiends, that should last you a year or two.

It's about the right size and it is pre-gridded with 1" squares. As it's paper, you can mark it up if you need to.

The grid means that you don't have to worry about adding a grid to anything you whip up in the NWN toolset or other map program. It also allows you to adjust the zoom/focus on an image which DOES have a grid already on it quickly to the correct size.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind,

I've started playing around with creating maps using the NW toolset. After they are created how do you use them? Can you save them as a image file? Or do you just display them using the tool set?

Steel_Wind

Legend
You can hit printscreen and then copy paste that portion of the map in tga format into a photoshop window if you like.

Generally I don't do that and I use the toolset itself to show the map on the projector. This allows me to pan and scan and control the zoom level of my map in game. There are some weathr and other animated texture features which make this convenient as well.

Blakey

First Post
Wifi Projector: BenQ CP120

Steel Wind, any comments on this projector?

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/benq_cp120_micro-portable_digital_projector.html
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-CP120.htm

Apart from the price ($2000!) it seems superb. It will throw an image at a very short range (aparrently 2.6 feet which suits my set up well). In addition it seems like a high spec projector which significantly is also Wifi enabled. As my entire Games Room is Wifi enabled, this is a major factor as I could set the projector up in a cage on the ceiling and then use it from anywhere in the room.

Am saving up for a projector for Christmas now as I can't convince the GF that its in any way a worthwhile thing to buy. Shame!!! :eek:

Blakey

Steel_Wind

Legend
Blakey said:
Steel Wind, any comments on this projector?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-CP120.htm

No throw data available yet. So you don't really know what it will do and won't do at your critical distance from tabletop. I would agree with you that the advertised minimum throw of 2.6 is encouraging though.

The wireless 802.1b projectors hitherto have been a total waste of time for gaming purposes. But wireless "G" may be more helpful in actual use. I would need to try it in real play to see if that is a usable technology for gaming purposes - and for which applicaiton (stills only? - no NWN toolset live? Not so sure if that makes me a happy camper or not).

Other than that...it's an XGA projector which appears to be very light. Actually, that's wrong: extremely light. (2.4 lbs?? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!) If you are on the go with it, that would make it attractive I suppose. Otherwise? Ok..I guess.

But beyond the hype ...it comes down to throw distance, image size and clarity and its cost vs. the competition. For that - we need to see the throw data.

Remove ads